The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
This totally weird thing happened in college today. Remember that php/MySQL project I was working on ? We had the final submissions today, and I'd taken my Mini to college since it was acting as my LocalServer.

I was trying to set it up there, but the keyboards refused to work there. I had to come home and take my own keyboard and only then could I proceed to the demo.

yash

I draw every day
@yash

hey yash it was pretty easy for me to setup my PC to communicate with Mac and vice versa...
In case you should have missed something, follow this tut:
*lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/how-to-access-a-macs-files-on-your-pc-247541.php

and to connect from Mac to PC, you should have a folder shared in Windows and them from Finder --> connect to server --> smb://ip/user

ip --> Windows PC's ip
user --> user account in Windows for which sharing is enabled

i am not trying to access mac from pc. I have a shared folder in windows. I am not using connect to server because i can just see the computer in the network in finder. I think the file write inability has something to do with the 'read only' attribute of the folder. I tried unchecking it and clicking apply, but it always comes back!

goobimama

 Macboy
As in you tried changing the write ability while in Windows right? Anyway, I've had a lot of these problems. Sometimes the networking just works, sometimes no matter what you do, just don't happen. (and I'm talking about PC to PC networks here).

yash

I draw every day
yes. Now this was with windows XP. I wonder if vista has it any better..

Also, I just noticed, my leopard partition has used 62.73 GB but the Time machine partition has only about 57 GB used! What the hell!

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Leopard has a serious bug.

Go to /Users/<user>/.local. It is full of crap you've already deleted from your system.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
aryayush said and I quote :
"It weighs in at 892 MB and is only 01:16 hours long, which means that they’ve chopped out what was probably the best part of the show, Randy Newman’s live performance."

So what do we get of it ?? Sarcasm ??? ;-)

Anyways that download link launches iTunes, now 2 things 1) Is this hi quality video ?? 2) how do I save it ??

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It wasn't sarcasm. I loved Randy Newman's performance and am therefore glad that I watched the streaming version and have it saved. :)

That link does not just launch iTunes. It launches iTunes and takes you to the download page for that podcast on the iTunes Store. You'll just have to click on the 'Get Episode' button. If the link is not working well for you (though there is no reason why it shouldn't), you can manually go to the 'Podcasts' section of the iTunes Store and you'll find the keynote among the top ten podcasts. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
its no hi quality - its decent normal vcd quality add to that the fact that there is audio-video lag in the video ...

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I do not claim about apple as a whole but the iPod software team sure as hell is a gang of monkey typing the code.

Let me give you an example. I had like 350 MB of photos which I wanted to put on my iPod Classic 6G. Now as you know that iTunes is the way to go I fired up and asked it to sycn the 350MB to ipod. There wer like 8000 photos of 550-250kb each.

Now dear itunes started optimizing the images for iPod. Can you believe the so called optimized size of those images

10 GB
Yes Ten Gigabytes.

So much for optimization!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
its no hi quality - its decent normal vcd quality add to that the fact that there is audio-video lag in the video ...
1. It is DVD quality. Dude, don't you even know the difference between VCD and DVD quality? A resolution of 640x360 is not VCD quality.

2. The audio and video is perfectly synchronised, at least in the one I have on my Mac.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Guys meet Elise Frappier, Mac Chick of the Month.

*www.macenstein.com/images/2008/mg_2008/2008_01/mg_jan_2008_1.jpg

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
1. It is DVD quality. Dude, don't you even know the difference between VCD and DVD quality? A resolution of 640x360 is not VCD quality.
full screen it sux something i get on my vcds .... and not anywehre close to any of the dvds i have ;) and if thats the quality of itune rental movies ... hell it sux
2. The audio and video is perfectly synchronised, at least in the one I have on my Mac.
sync i mean is that the audio is first steve jobs on video says it a later .... the lip movement and the audio out is not in sync

goobimama

 Macboy
640x360? Aw shucks. I guess I'll get that 1.1GB file from brokenstones after all...

@Dr: Glad to know there's another fan of the Mac Chick of the month! ;)

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
I do not claim about apple as a whole but the iPod software team sure as hell is a gang of monkey typing the code.

Let me give you an example. I had like 350 MB of photos which I wanted to put on my iPod Classic 6G. Now as you know that iTunes is the way to go I fired up and asked it to sycn the 350MB to ipod. There wer like 8000 photos of 550-250kb each.

Now dear itunes started optimizing the images for iPod. Can you believe the so called optimized size of those images

10 GB
Yes Ten Gigabytes.

So much for optimization!

HAHAHA! that's ridiculous! just like imovie creating thumbnails of my videos and the thumbnails size is larger than all my videos!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
640x360? Aw shucks. I guess I'll get that 1.1GB file from brokenstones after all...
If it's iMav's word you want to believe in, that's a different thing but let me tell you that the BS file and iTunes one have exactly the same resolution but the BS file has severe distortions and the audio/video gets out of sync sometimes. The iTunes one is a whole lot better.

However, the BS one has Randy Newman's performance, which you absolutely must watch! :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i downloadd the itunes 1 only ;) from itunes directory ;) now i dont know whether ur itunes store and my itunes store are different :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Guys meet Elise Frappier, Mac Chick of the Month.

*www.macenstein.com/images/2008/mg_2008/2008_01/mg_jan_2008_1.jpg

That's it, I m switching to Apple platform today, I m ordering a Macbook Air tomorrow only & buying an iPhone soon :D

Top Bottom