The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Actually, I'd only seen the trackpad demos on Apple.com (and not the guided tour) before I made that comment.

I realise now that I was wrong. Apple, give it to us for free. C'mon! :D

@Everyone,
Check out this awesome video. Very funny. Just make sure you read the full description on the right before you watch it. :lol:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: Macworld Conference and Expo 2008

infra_red_dude said:
MacBook Air is good but I guess it cud've done with a IEEE1394 port with the existing usb 2.0 port. Also a usb to rj45 adaptor free would've made sense. All these things at $1800 would've been real good deal.

It's available seperately for $29.

All those crying about only 1 usb port, use a hub!

That beats the purpose of an ultra portable, if you have to carry so many things with u such as a LAN Adapter & HUB then what's the point of having an ultra portable.

You haf no idea about the fabrication of these chips, space, heat and the costs involved! At this moment, the cost seams ok. As technology advances we'll surely see a fall in price. But as of today, the cost of fabrication of SoC is exhorbitent!

Have a look at Intel Montevina platform & others. If Intel starts fabricating Dothan or Original Pentium M CPU with 45nm fabrication process then that chip will get the same performance as before but will be very small as febrication technology has changed which makes it ideal for Mobile Phones. This is exectly what Intel is planning.

A 4GB flash drive costs 1500 bucks today. 1500 bucks! Why would someone need DVDs and such to transfer files?

A 4.5 GB DVD costs 15 bucks today, 15 bucks. Why would someone need a flash drive of Rs 1500 to archive files.

I never said optical drive is "only" for file transfer, it is also for file archiving. Don't know about you but instead of buying a Time Capsule or $300 & A 4 GB Pen drive of Rs 1,500 I would rather buy a Rs 15 DVD for archiving purpose & a 2 GB Pen drive which I bought from MS Company store for free for file transfer....

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

if u buy mac book air u will need:

1. time capsule: $300 for storing data (more as a portable hdd for ur air to access ur mbp data)
2. usb to lan connector: $29 (wtf!)
3. Supredrive: $99

now add this to the $1800 and also taxes now try carrying all of this wen ur on the move, not having any of this results in a major compromise, because wen ur on the move considering a moving working person - every now and then u need to connect to some1's network for data transfer (yes it happens), u need to burn or copy discs (no matter how obsolete they may seem to goobi they are still used and will be; even after dvd came cds are still used), 80GB hdd we all know how easily an 80gig can be filled

o and yeah not to forget the charger too

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

@gx_saurav, You still archive files on DVDs? Welcome to 2000! LOL! :lol:

@Everyone, I've replied to iMav's post in this thread. Please continue the discussion there! This thread has become very confusing.

@drgrudge,
Please merge this with the official Apple thread. Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

@gx_saurav, You still archive files on DVDs? Welcome to 2000! LOL! :lol:

@Everyone, I've replied to iMav's post in this thread. Please continue the discussion there! This thread has become very confusing.

@drgrudge,
Please merge this with the official Apple thread. Thank you! :)
You have to when you have to archive 500GB of data and want the cheapest medium to do so .

goobimama

 Macboy

I never said optical drive is "only" for file transfer, it is also for file archiving. Don't know about you but instead of buying a Time Capsule or $300 & A 4 GB Pen drive of Rs 1,500 I would rather buy a Rs 15 DVD for archiving purpose & a 2 GB Pen drive which I bought from MS Company store for free for file transfer....
Are you seriously going to do archiving while on the move? And if you really have to, a 2.5" portable hard drive would do the trick. That's cause DVDs have become really unrealiable.

Also, What are you planning on archiving? Final Cut projects? Maybe some Logic Studio sound projects? Cause if that's the case this notebook is not the right one for you.

goobimama

 Macboy
Just saw this:
As the Time Capsule is otherwise identical to an Airport base, you can hang printers or USB drives off the unit and share those as you would with the older gear.
Suddenly, it starts to make all the more sense...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

if u buy mac book air u will need:

1. time capsule: $300 for storing data (more as a portable hdd for ur air to access ur mbp data)
2. usb to lan connector: $29 (wtf!)
3. Supredrive: $99

USB to Lan connector costs $5 on Newegg.
External Casing for a DVD Writer + Samsung DVD writer = $60 max
Time capsule is good in one thing, it is Apple Airport base station & a harddisk. So it does the work of backup device & a wireless router. This makes it a must for Macbook air, as Time machine will not work with any other wireless storage device.

@gx_saurav, You still archive files on DVDs? Welcome to 2000! LOL

Yeah, call me old school...but that's the way I am.

Do u expect me to send House season 4 to iMav in Mumbai in a Rs 1,500 Pen drive of 4 GB???? Nah, I would rather send him House season 4 on a Rs 15 DVD.

I have a 40 GB external HD (laptop HD + Casing) which I bought 2 years ago for a total of Rs 4000, I guess that's better then a Rs 1,500 pen drive.

I have lots of movies & TV shows. Well, I find them archiving in a DVD way better then a Harddisk, 4.5 GB of Space in Rs 15 is not a deal to laugh at....oh wait, it's not time capsule

Are you seriously going to do archiving while on the move? And if you really have to, a 2.5" portable hard drive would do the trick.

If I have to take another drive with me, then what's the purpose of an Ultra Portable then...isn't it supposed to save me from all that clutter...

If I have to carry a Macbook Air, an External HD with me along with USB to RJ45 adapter, then instead of all these atleast I would logically prefer to buy a Macbook instead.

That's cause DVDs have become really unrealiable

Yeah, they are on a Mac platform where you cannot write a Multisession DVD or a multisession DVD-RW :D. No such reliability problem on Windows platform with Nero/Infrarecorder/other burning app.

Also, What are you planning on archiving?.

Hmm...I don't know..maybe I want to see some movies in DVD while on the go, or transfer files from my Friend's Kodak Photo CD to my computer in an ISO image while on the go...or what not...Maybe I have to courier some files to mumbai & DVD is the best way then...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

@goobster its not for archiving on the move it is about accessing the archieve on the move ;)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Time Machine Capsule, I guess!!
But Milind I thought it already made sense, I think its a great idean. I plan to get one of those before I even think of MBA

goobimama

 Macboy

Do u expect me to send House season 4 to iMav in Mumbai in a Rs 1,500 Pen drive of 4 GB???? Nah, I would rather send him House season 4 on a Rs 15 DVD.
No I don't. But I expect you to do that with a desktop computer cause that's where you get lots of speed, large hard drives and fast optical drives. I dont' expect you to think suddenly on your trip to birdland, "Oh! I'll send iMav some pirated material on DVD! If only I could do it here!"

If I have to carry a Macbook Air, an External HD with me along with USB to RJ45 adapter, then instead of all these atleast I would logically prefer to buy a Macbook instead.
There you have it. The macbook air is not for everyone. There's a perfectly good laptop called the Macbook which many will find cheaper and more feature rich than the Air.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

@gx_saurav and goobimama,
Read your reply here.

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac

Oh I forgot this thread existed, I was just wasting my time on our official thread and was surprised to see no one discussing the MacWorld!!

Anyways...

drgrude said:
Guys, you're missing the whole point of MacBook Air. It's not for people who want to have a desktop replacement or a high end PC to do graphics, game, etc..

Completely agree with this statement.
I mean one has to make his choice, you wanna make a powerful desktop replacement you gotta go for MBP, cutdown some money go for MB and the rest for style, performance in an envelope gotta go for the MacBook 'F*ing' Air.

No optical drive, No ethernet and for $1800.... man its a must buy!!!
In my honest opinion this is one of the most reasonably priced baby from apple.

@gx
Macbooks not shipping with Superdrive ... I think it is insane and I still complain
MacBook Air with no optical drive ... I think perfect, you don't need one

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

In my honest opinion this is one of the most reasonably priced baby from apple.
I don't agree with iMav and gx_saurav's stupid comments but I don't agree with this either. The price is definitely on the higher side and could have been lower. About $1500 would have been a much more reasonable price. :)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac

Okay let me take out 'one of the most reasonably priced baby from apple!!' from my comment.

1800$ is a steal for such a thing, boy Heidi Klum doesn't fit in an envelope !!;-)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

It's available seperately for $29.
Thats what I'm sayin; its bad. For $1800 some accessories should've been bundled and this is one of them.

That beats the purpose of an ultra portable, if you have to carry so many things with u such as a LAN Adapter & HUB then what's the point of having an ultra portable.
You completely miss the point. Ultra portable is not your desktop-replacement! Not everywhere you may need a LAN connector. So, isn't it complicating the electronics and increasing the thickness?

You don't connect your printer, KB, mouse, cam, TV tuner, DV camcorder all the while and all at once. This beats the purpose of ultra portable! Why wudja wanna use an UP? To give prez, access ur mail on the move, video conf., etc. So a hub and a usb-to-lan connector are all the things that one will ever need, imho; which is kinda ok. But this misses an ieee1394 port and that is seriously bad!

Have a look at Intel Montevina platform & others. If Intel starts fabricating Dothan or Original Pentium M CPU with 45nm fabrication process then that chip will get the same performance as before but will be very small as febrication technology has changed which makes it ideal for Mobile Phones. This is exectly what Intel is planning.
I know you are the know-it-all types, but plz keep off from talking things like these... :)) I still say you haf ZERO idea of what you are talking about!!!!

While I think a price tag of $1800 is too much for MBA, there still is considerable cost involved as things get smaller and smaller.

A 4.5 GB DVD costs 15 bucks today, 15 bucks. Why would someone need a flash drive of Rs 1500 to archive files.
Very true. There is no cheaper media than a DVD-/+R for backup. And I think Apple has perfectly complemented the MBA with an external Superdrive (its better than hafing no option of any optical drive altogether!); but as always the price is on the higher side.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

infra_red_dude said:
Thats what I'm sayin; its bad. For $1800 some accessories should've been bundled and this is one of them.

What else M I saying from day 1

You completely miss the point. Ultra portable is not your desktop-replacement! Not everywhere you may need a LAN connector. So, isn't it complicating the electronics and increasing the thickness?

Yeah, so why not give the dongle & a hub free.

You don't connect your printer, KB, mouse, cam, TV tuner, DV camcorder all the while and all at once.

I have the bolded items permanently connected.

Why wudja wanna use an UP? To give prez, access ur mail on the move, video conf., etc. So a hub and a usb-to-lan connector are all the things that one will ever need, imho; which is kinda ok. But this misses an ieee1394 port and that is seriously bad!
:)) I still say you haf ZERO idea of what you are talking about!!!!

Have a look at Intel Roadmap shown by intel recently in CES & Anandtech.

Very true. There is no cheaper media than a DVD-/+R for backup. And I think Apple has perfectly complemented the MBA with an external Superdrive (its better than hafing no option of any optical drive altogether!); but as always the price is on the higher side.

At least someone understood why I m still old school

Last edited:
Top Bottom