The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Recently I had some requirements to use some office suites. I didn't have MS Office installed, only iWork.

Pages is good, but somehow I feel Word is better. Maybe I'm used to it? The thing is it doesn't has a lot of features (90% of which you won't use) and cluttered unlike Word.

But Pages is a pain in the ass (Mac) as it's not very compatible with .doc files. When I open some .doc file (for editing, otherwise TextEdit should be fine) it crashes sometimes. When I export to .doc, then the tables are not at all coming.

This made me order MS Office 2008. I'm getting the Students and Lite edition as I don't use the extra cr@pware coming along in the Standard/Ultimate editions.

What's your Office suite story? Are you getting MS office 2008?

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Re: Macworld Conference and Expo 2008

What else M I saying from day 1

Yeah, so why not give the dongle & a hub free.
Isn't it funny? Both of us are saying the same thing; then why are you fighting??? :)

I have the bolded items permanently connected.
Even a 5 year old kid will laugh at this! With an ultra portable you carry your full sized keyboard and TV tuner???? What use are they in the middle of desert? Or when you are giving a prez. in a board room? Dude... you argue just for the heck of it. Talk some sense! Look at the target audience of MBA and then put forth your points.

Have a look at Intel Roadmap shown by intel recently in CES & Anandtech.
I know what Intel has planned. Why I mocked at you was coz of the fact that you said SoC is not that costly to fabricate and that older procs (P-M etc.) if manufactured at 45nm will give same perf.!!! :)) haha....

At least someone understood why I m still old school
Yep, am with you regarding the cheap media and backup. No arguments :)

@Aayush
Don't bother. I guess the two threads would soon be merged :) Or at least, should be!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: Macworld Conference and Expo 2008

infra_red_dude said:
Isn't it funny? Both of us are saying the same thing; then why are you fighting???

I m not fighting with you.

Even a 5 year old kid will laugh at this! With an ultra portable you carry your full sized keyboard and TV tuner???? What use are they in the middle of desert? Or when you are giving a prez. in a board room? Dude... you argue just for the heck of it. Talk some sense! Look at the target audience of MBA and then put forth your points.

Oh! U asked for MBA, I told u about my desktop. Sorry...

older procs (P-M etc.) if manufactured at 45nm will give same perf.!!! :)) haha....

That's what Intel is claming with the latest roadmap shown in CES.

goobimama

 Macboy
Recently I had some requirements to use some office suites. I didn't have MS Office installed, only iWork.

Pages is good, but somehow I feel Word is better. Maybe I'm used to it? The thing is it doesn't has a lot of features (90% of which you won't use) and cluttered unlike Word.

But Pages is a pain in the ass (Mac) as it's not very compatible with .doc files. When I open some .doc file (for editing, otherwise TextEdit should be fine) it crashes sometimes. When I export to .doc, then the tables are not at all coming.

This made me order MS Office 2008. I'm getting the Students and Lite edition as I don't use the extra cr@pware coming along in the Standard/Ultimate editions.

What's your Office suite story? Are you getting MS office 2008?

Well when I first got the Mac, I was amazed by MS Office. Then I read a small time article about how great iWork is. What the hell, and I started using it. I've stopped using Office ever since.

I will however admit that I don't share .doc files a lot. If I do come across one, it is generally a straightforward one that opens up fine in Pages. And as for sharing files, nothing comes close to sending a nicely formatted PDF.

I don't have any use for a spreadsheet application so I can't say much about Numbers/Excel. Although, looking at both I would be more inclined towards Numbers. I'm sure Excel has some advanced features that might be needed in a professional area, but for home use, I think Numbers kicks ass.

As for Powerpoint, you can't really compare it with Keynote. It (keynote) is light years ahead and just keeps getting better.

My Dad however comes across a lot of .Doc files and hence needed to buy Office 2008. Although, if he knows he is going to make a PDF, he'll straight away use Pages. Keynote is a given.

infra said:
Yep, am with you regarding the cheap media and backup. No argument
The thing with this guy is he wants to do backups even while he is doing a presentation or while on the move...AND he wants the form factor of a Macbook Air.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
... and he wants several USB ports and FireWire and ethernet and a 500GB hard drive and a 4.0GHz processor and a washing machine at a price of $499!

infra_red_dude said:
@Aayush
Don't bother. I guess the two threads would soon be merged :) Or at least, should be!
No, they won't and shouldn't be. I've been stressing this point right from the first post itself that this is a thread for people who appreciate the company, Apple Inc. and its products. We don't want any arguments here. Ask goobimama or any other regular of this thread (except, perhaps, iMav) and they'll all agree. It is a much better place to be when gx_saurav isn't around with his lame theories and out of whack arguments.

That is why I created that other thread out there in the open. Just so that this thread is spared. Thank you for your understanding! It was a pleasure having you here and you're welcome to stay. :p

(If you didn't get it, that last part was supposed to be funny. 8))

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ya right when a so called ultra portable gets f*cked by competition that is merely a few inch thicker then u come up with this lame comment :lol: great going o macboy

goobimama

 Macboy
Well I realised that the sentence sounded wrong, but what the hell.

As for buying office, well, we aren't allowed to discuss illegal stuff on the forum right?

drgrudge

I will however admit that I don't share .doc files a lot. If I do come across one, it is generally a straightforward one that opens up fine in Pages. And as for sharing files, nothing comes close to sending a nicely formatted PDF.

I don't have any use for a spreadsheet application so I can't say much about Numbers/Excel. Although, looking at both I would be more inclined towards Numbers. I'm sure Excel has some advanced features that might be needed in a professional area, but for home use, I think Numbers kicks ass.

As for Powerpoint, you can't really compare it with Keynote. It (keynote) is light years ahead and just keeps getting better.

My Dad however comes across a lot of .Doc files and hence needed to buy Office 2008. Although, if he knows he is going to make a PDF, he'll straight away use Pages. Keynote is a given.
I just need Word processor and a presentation tool. That's the reason I'm going for Student's Edition. I tried this free word processor "Abhi Word" or something. I didn't like it. Didn't try out Neo Office.

It's necessary that we need MS products, Office or Windows. Not that it's good and we like it, but we're forced to use it. Windows for testing, games, etc and this Word for .doc files. Pages exported to .pdf without any issues but it screws .doc files.

The stupid MS office installed everything that came with it (including MS Messenger, Entourage, 2-3 other cr@p). I hoped to see the selective install thing but that didn't happen. Dunno how to uninstall the unwanted applications. On top of all this, it added icons in the Dock automatically and spoiling it. Had to manually remove the cr@p out of m dock.

goobimama

 Macboy
There's a "Customise" button right before you click "install". At first I didn't realise and it installed all the apps on the iMac. Then I carefully checked and found that while installing on the iBook.

Like I said, Office is a necessary evil when you are dealing with a lot of .Doc files and such. For me, start to finish is done in Pages, although most of my work is done in Indesign.

Forgot to mention: The new Office icons look really crappy in the dock.

Last edited:

drgrudge

You know what? I tried InDesign too! But that is a pro app and I need some time to start working on it. I needed to get the things done soon and I had no option but to go for Pages and export to .pdf which might be the ideal way we want to work everytime.

The icons are better than Windows version. But they are no gonna stay in the Dock for sure.

Got to pop in the CD and see if I can uninstall the 50% fluff I just installed.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Dunno how to uninstall the unwanted applications. On top of all this, it added icons in the Dock automatically and spoiling it. Had to manually remove the cr@p out of m dock.

Drag those apps u don't want to trash, & drag the icons out of dock

yash

I draw every day
I am trying to send a file across to a windows user, but I keep getting error that you do not have sufficient privileges. even though I have connected as the administrator. I have enabled file sharing and allowed everyone to modify the file(because there's no one else on the wifi network)

Is this a leopard finder problem? can someone tell me how to get this to work?

goobimama

 Macboy
This is a Windows networking problem. I can't tell you the pains I've had with networking two computers together. Did you try sending the file from a Windows PC to a windows PC?

Also, did you try writing those files from Windows to Mac? That is, you could access you mac disk from Windows and copy the files from there.

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@yash

hey yash it was pretty easy for me to setup my PC to communicate with Mac and vice versa...
In case you should have missed something, follow this tut:
*lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/how-to-access-a-macs-files-on-your-pc-247541.php

and to connect from Mac to PC, you should have a folder shared in Windows and them from Finder --> connect to server --> smb://ip/user

ip --> Windows PC's ip
user --> user account in Windows for which sharing is enabled

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I am trying to send a file across to a windows user, but I keep getting error that you do not have sufficient privileges. even though I have connected as the administrator. I have enabled file sharing and allowed everyone to modify the file(because there's no one else on the wifi network)

Is this a leopard finder problem? can someone tell me how to get this to work?
Did you run the File and Printer sharing wizard in Windows. I've seen that regardless of the sharing settings of the resource this wizard if not run (for me its in XP), that error crops up.

Offtopic:

Have a look here
Dude, you either haf some serious comprehension problems or you need to see an ophthalmologist! Where does it say what you posted? What it sayz is that the new chip would be intro'd with clockspeeds at which Dothan was intro'd and similar perf considering the fact that this chip is for mobile devices like the iPhone etc.

Point me to the line where it sayz that if Dothan is manufac. at 45nm process it'd give same performance!!! That is why I said inspite of you being know-it-all types you don't haf enuf knowledge in this field!!! So when you post something make sure it doesn't backfire!!! :)

Top Bottom