The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
The new version of Crossover works like a charm. Thanks a lot goobi to point out!

Back on uTorrent from Azureus. :twisted:

Last edited:

drgrudge

The Unarchiver is a good software. It's better than this StuffIt Deluxe I used in Tiger. Features wise StuffIt might be rich (but who cares?) It's like Winrar. Only thing is it's FREE unlike Winrar or StuffIt Deluxe.

goobimama

 Macboy
Merry Christmas boys!

I think the modbook might be a little too late. Lots of rumours point to something similar from Apple.

Anyone tried BetterZip here? I'm using their Quick look plugin which is really stunning...

Tip of the week
Say you have installed XP via bootcamp, but don't want it's hard drive crowding your mac desktop space. How do you remove it? Unchecking hard drives removes your mac drive as well. And aliases don't follow the priority thing of the Mac HD showing first.

So, the only easy way (other than some terminal stuff I guess) is to rename your partition with a '.' in front of it.

When in Windows type a "." (period) in front of the partition name, (right click on "C" drive and in properties just put a period in front of the name
example:
.WinXP

Now when you boot into OS X, you will not find the hard drive there. But what if you want to access it? Just hit from the menubar Go > Go to Folder (or right click the Finder icon in Dock) and enter "WinXP" in there....

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Nope. If you are referring to him using a .Mac account with iChat, then you can get one yourself. Just sign up for a trial account which lasts for 60 days, but while the rest of the services are cut off after the trial, the .Mac account stays.

----
Leopard Installed on iBook
The install went smoothly. The iBook with the 1.33Ghz proccy +512MB RAM seems quite capable.

However, core animation effects are a bit choppy sometimes, but it works. I do not however get the transparent menubar. :( Some might say I'm lucky, but I love the menubar transparency.

Here's some thing I noticed. Remember I had mentioned that it would be super cool if the icons of the actual computers showed up in the network? For default, the icon is a cinema display. But after some Leopard goodness, guess what happened!

*img291.imageshack.us/img291/4461/picture1er0.png
Well! It shows the exact icon of both the iBook on iMac as well as the other way as shown here! Only thing is that they had to make sure is to remind me that mine is the old iMac, complete with Tiger blue desktop n all.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Congrats goobi. So we're all on Leopard but for Bond.

By the way, what's this core animation effects?

drgrudge

Leopard has given more Battery backup. Over 5 hours of backup and even with Multimedia, it's more than 4 hrs!

This is the brightness setup. Note that it's just next to 0% (screen blackout at the stage). I want to reduce the bightness even futher but can't do it!
*farm3.static.flickr.com/2343/2136982357_a05633347f_o.png

I can't get any happier, can I?

goobimama

 Macboy
What you mean? It can't get to 'backlit off' stage? Well if I reduce the brightness on my keyboard, then it does go to complete black (only on iBook, not on iMac). You can however now use a screen corner to make your screen go off in case you like that (sys prefs > expose > set one corner as sleep display)

drgrudge

See my Brightness slider in the screenie. That's the minimum that I can get it, anything less than that, it goes to complete black.

Now because the screen brightness is taken care like this, my battery lasts longer than it did on Tiger.

That Expose tip is cool man. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
That's the lowest it can go then....

----
Should I buy this? Considering that the iPhone might be a little too expensive, I don't really use a phone, and Google maps would be a waste out here.

Also, is there any way of getting a Mail app on the iPod Touch?

For 13k it seems like an awesome deal (with warranty). And I could always sell it when the iPhone comes to town (I think I should get at least 10k for it after using it for a while)

*www.indiaplaza.in/electronics/audi...ouch-8gb-dry-fruit-hamper-seasons-special.htm

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Once you jailbreak, you can install any app for the iPhone on the iPod touch. There is an IMAP app on the touch. Works excellently too.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It is pretty easy to install all the iPhone applications onto the iPod touch. You can have Mail, Google Maps - i.e. everything except the phone application. :)

Buy the touch. Go on. :twisted:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Something i came across so thought of sharin:

LiquidCD offers full-featured disc burning for Macs

*www.maconnect.ch/images/liquidcd/lcd-audio.png​

Mac OS X does a great job of integrating CD/DVD burning into the iLife suite and Finder, but LiquidCD unifies your disc-burning needs in one easy-to-use (and free!) program. LiquidCD lets you create basic audio CD's and data CD's or DVD's, but it also adds the handy ability to burn multiple disc image formats like .cue, .iso, and .dmg.

LiquidCD, which is available in 15 different languages, is a great alternative to Mac OS X's built-in burning tools, especially if you want to bypass iPhoto or iTunes so you can burn a simple project. You may have a folder of songs on your USB drive that you don't want added to your iTunes library. With LiquidCD you can plug your drive in, select the songs you want to be burned, and have a CD burning in seconds.

Quick photo editing (through Dashboard?)

*www.dropping.at/images/ss_reflection.png *www.dropping.at/images/ss_rounded.png *www.dropping.at/images/ss_pushpin.png

Sometimes you need to process, crop, clip, or otherwise edit an image file in a hurry--and Photoshop takes longer to launch than most folks are willing to wait when a simple image modification is all that's needed. That's why we were pretty excited to find out about Photo Drop, a Mac Dashboard widget that really seems to speed up quicky image edits.

Since Photo Drop is a widget, you can drag files to it from other widgets or even from your desktop (drag the file to a hotcorner to activate Dashboard and then drop it on the Photo Drop widget). When you're done with your edits, drag it back out to the Finder and off you go.

Photo Drop provides several handy manipulations including cropping, resizing, borders, and some tasty eye candy like "1-bit", which will convert your photo into a strictly black and white image.

Source: Download Squad

goobimama

 Macboy
Me likes the quick photo editing widget. Thanks. As for the burning app, I'm satisfied with Toast...(I do realise that app is free)

As for the iTouch, seriously? I can have the same mail app in my the Touch? That would be excellent! I hope you guys can help me out with installing it once/if I get it....

varunprabhakar

In the zone
i want to own an iphone. my friend is coming from US next month. so can he buy online and how much will it cost and can i use it in India, since it requires AT&T service.

Top Bottom