The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
yash said:
help! i can't open esnips.com on mac! tried all browsers! any solution?

hey man Safari, firefox all can open that in my mac !!

BTW I was looking for this :
I don't want macbook to sleep when I close the lid or if thats not possible I close the lid macbook sleeps but continues my p2p downloads on transmissions
Any solutions for this ???

goobimama

 Macboy
Try InsomniaX : *www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22211

But I wouldn't advice it. Best thing is to just put the display to sleep and keep the lid half down. It's best to let all the heat out the way it was meant to be.

yash

I draw every day
jamesbond: are you using leopard?
the widget part is all white. firefox, camino hang/crash when i try to open that page. I even reinstalled flip4macwmv plugin.

yash

I draw every day
well, on leopard on the college macs I think it'd work too. the thing is, it asks for update of flip4mac, which I cannot do because i don't have administrator privileges.

goobimama

 Macboy
Yep. Heat goes out from the keyboard as well. You can use the macbook with the lid closed, nothing should happen, but I wouldn't advise it.

goobimama

 Macboy
Woah. This is a little freaky. OS X seems to be an expert at linking.

For instance, if I download something, it goes into the downloads folder. Then if I move it to Users/documents/whatever/, and I click the "Show in Finder" button in the Safari downloads window, it takes me directly to the new location.

If I create a text file, accidentally save it somewhere else, then move the file to the desktop while textedit still has the file open. Then go to save the file:
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/435df1b0cf.png

Photoshop doesn't even give me that warning :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, smart aliases and the ability to move/rename busy files. Two of the under appreciated gems of Mac OS X. :D

yash said:
This is the message i get sometimes... -n *tinyurl.com/ytb8za
AFAIK, updating the Flip4Mac codec is the only way to fix this.

Check this out, guys. All the guy wanted to know was whether there is a decent Photobooth equivalent on Windows and they start telling him how to use camcorders and Photoshop and whatnot to achieve real time crap with blah blah blah and how Apple "overexaggerates" things and whatnot. These Windows fanboys are complete nutters. :lol:

yash

I draw every day
I already have the latest flip4mac wmv plugin. like i said..downloaded a package from the website and I REINSTALLED it..

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@gobi
The app that you linked InsomniaX works like a charm but as you recommended I'd put the lid half closed!!

I am looking for a app that would show me my current applications(apple+tab) in 3d. I am talking about the Aero in Vista, you press Win+Tab and you can view currents apps in 3d, anything similar in Mac ??

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
What all effects do we have on a Mac to impress others? I know:
1. Expose (show desktop and windows)
2. Dashboard (with some cool widgets)
3. Cmd + Tab, but that might not impress

Effects are like Chic Flicks, most of them isn't useful but we all love them for that fact our GFs go gaga over it.

goobimama

 Macboy
Try Quartz desktop: Puts any quartz composition as a desktop background. Much like the Vista's Dreamscene thing, but it renders in full resolution and doesn't use much CPU.

And Expose is not a useless effect x-(

You are also missing out on Time Machine and Coverflow in Finder as of yet :)

Last edited:

drgrudge

Expose is not an useless effect. Let me tell you a pratical example. I copy some codes from FX, go to the corner of the screen, select Coda and paste it there. Not only it's fast and easy but also it looks great. :D Using expose to see desktop is also cool.

Please explain abt the 3 things you mentioned in detail: Quartz desktop, Time Machine and Coverflow.

goobimama

 Macboy
You know those quartz compositions, the one that you usually dump in the screensaver folder. Remember I had shown you the fire one? Well, since Quartz is what renders everything on screen, you can pretty much put one of those compositions as a desktop wallpaper. So you get this app Quartz Desktop, and using that you can have your own animated background.

As for Time Machine and Coverflow, I'm sure you know what those are. Not seen any leopard demonstration yet?

Btw, Dr, here's another trick. You don't even have to "copy" and then "paste" text. Select the text you want, then, just click and hold on it for a second, and then you can drag the text over directly into the Coda window. And if you are using a Cocoa browser like Safari or Camino, you can select non-contiguous lines of text (useful for selecting different lines of code at one go). I think the key is select a line of text, then Command+select the next line and so on. You could try the Option key as well I'm not very sure.

Also, in Leopard, the applications on the dock are spring loaded. So if I wanted to do the same, I would just drag over to the Dock, press spacebar on Coda, and it would pop right up (even if coda was closed)...
Doctor said:
Effects are like Chic Flicks, most of them isn't useful but we all love them for that fact our GFs go gaga over it.

drgrudge

I didn't mean Expose. I'm a big fan of Expose and that's a sure shot way to impress anyone who see my Mac. :D

Effects like Aero, Beryl, Compiz, 3D stuffs are monotonous after a few cycles of usage. They aren't productive, IMO.

Heard of Time Machine and Coverflow but never seen it in action. Vaguely I know what they're for. I'll install this quartz compositions and see how it goes about.

Thanks for the tips, Goobi. Maybe you should publish a book:
"101 Tips for Mac OS X : A Beginner's Handbook". I'll buy the book for sure. :)

Top Bottom