The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Bento is a database application. It's database for home users since using Filemaker and Access is a bit beyond what the average user wants. Anyway, just give it a whirl since it is a free preview until feb 14th 2008.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What are you talking about! :confused:

goobimama said:
Bento is a database application. It's database for home users since using Filemaker and Access is a bit beyond what the average user wants. Anyway, just give it a whirl since it is a free preview until feb 14th 2008.
It is about managing your stuff and all, right?

DARK LORD said:
Hey guys,

What would you prefer ? Parallels or Boot Camp for me ?
Preferably none but if you have to then I would recommend Parallels.

goobimama

 Macboy
Yep. Parallels + adequate amount of RAM (2GB ideal. 1GB is sufficient for smaller apps) does the trick for most applications. Boot camp is only for gaming and heavy apps like maybe some 3D stuff.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I just filled out that form for the Bento preview and after it was done, this is something I read on the page that followed:
Thank You!
Your information has been successfully submitted and received.
In just a few minutes, you will receive an e-mail that provides the link to the private download page where you can get your free Bento Preview.
Please be sure your spam-blocking software does not block the e-mail containing your instructions. Please add this address (*******@bentotrial.com) to your address book to improve success of delivery.
[Emphasis mine.]

What! To "improve success of delivery"? Really? This is unbelievable. How can a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple Inc. be so sloppy! :shock:

goobimama

 Macboy
Haha. Anyway, torrents rock! Brokenstones eliminates the stupid signup...

Also, I hope you guys have upgraded to the latest Little Snitch 2.0. I must say, this was just a tool first, but now it has grown into a full grown app. The Allow/Block dialog box is very "look at the UI, looks cool" and there's a nice little network monitor for network activity...

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
goobimama said:
Haha. Anyway, torrents rock! Brokenstones eliminates the stupid signup...

Also, I hope you guys have upgraded to the latest Little Snitch 2.0. I must say, this was just a tool first, but now it has grown into a full grown app. The Allow/Block dialog box is very "look at the UI, looks cool" and there's a nice little network monitor for network activity...
I still get the signup thing for brokenstones! what are u talking about?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You're out of the loop, dude.

You need to fill a form if you want to download Bento officially and then you receive an email with the download link. "Brokenstones eliminates the stupid signup..."

You still need to have an account on BrokenStones itself, obviously.

goobimama said:
I don't really need this one.

BusinessWeek Online | May 21, 2001 | Commentary: Sorry, Steve: Here's Why Apple Stores Won't Work

The most amusing this is that there is an aside for "Corrections and Clarifications" at the end of the article. It should have said, "This expert opinion has been rendered completely moronic by the events that followed this story. The author is ashamed and, like Michael Dell, promises never to try to predict anything about Steve Jobs in future."

LOL! :lol:

Some choice quotes:
"Apple's problem is it still believes the way to grow is serving caviar in a world that seems pretty content with cheese and crackers," gripes former Chief Financial Officer Joseph Graziano.
"I give them two years before they're turning out the lights on a very painful and expensive mistake," says Goldstein.
Indeed, rather than taking on the retailers who ought to be its partners, Apple would do better improving how it works with them. A good step would be to end the "think secret" approach that shrouds every new-product announcement.
"They should let the news leak out, to convince the world how exciting their stuff is. That's how everyone else does it." Maybe it's time Steve Jobs stopped thinking quite so differently.
They, like most other people, just don't get Apple.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
narangz said:
one question to mods- why aint this thread sticky? drgrudge are there any issues?
I dunno. :) Less than a dozen active Mac users in Digit Forums.. then what's the point?

narangz

Web developer
but look at the posts & views! it deserves to be a sticky. see i am not a mac user but still i visit this thread & learn something & share something with you guys :)

Have you got the earthing thingy done?

goobimama

 Macboy
+1 for thread to be a sticky. There's no doubt that this one deserves to be a sticky.

---------

On other news, I've been using Mail with the new Gmail IMAP support. But I find all my Spam Messages and Trash gets synced in as well. Any way to by-pass this? I love the data detectors btw. Work amazingly well...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Why do you guys want it to be a sticky? We'll just attract a lot of useless attention. A lot of non Mac users will start posting crap. Just my two cents...

@drgrudge
Can you please remove the poll?

drgrudge

+2 for sticky n -2 for not making this thread sticky. Let's see what other users feel (Weightage of Mac users is more :twisted: ).

aryayush -
As I said b4, it can't be done. Maybe ask Admins, they might got different options than what I've.

narangz -
No yaar. I was busy with exams. I had CAT & IIFT exams. So no time for an electrician.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Well, do be frank, this thread is so active with discussions, it stays on top in any case.
So I don't really see the point in making it a sticky.

Anyhow, a sticky would be great :)

drgrudge

Guys suggest me an alternative for:

1. Ares (P2P software)
2. Screamer-Radio (Internet Radio ; I'm yet to try out the one in iTunes, but that software is freaking cool)
3. Foobar2000 (I know Cog, anything better?)

uTorrent along with these are the softwares that I miss.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
drgrudge said:
As I said b4, it can't be done. Maybe ask Admins, they might got different options than what I've.
Oh yeah, I'd totally forgotten that. Sorry!

So, could you change it the following:
Q. Should this thread be made a sticky?

1. Of course, if there is any thread that deserves it, this is it.
2. Umm... not really, what's the big need!
3. STICKY!! A thread about APPLE! Muawhahaha... boohoo...
4. Who cares!
You know what, we should keep having weekly/monthly polls on this thread. Any of us could come up with a topic. I'll post the results whenever the poll gets changed so that a record is maintained. :)

DARK LORD said:
Well, do be frank, this thread is so active with discussions, it stays on top in any case.
So I don't really see the point in making it a sticky.
Exactly.

drgrudge said:
1. Ares (P2P software)
Acquisition.

drgrudge said:
2. Screamer-Radio (Internet Radio ; I'm yet to try out the one in iTunes, but that software is freaking cool)
1. iTunes
2. Last.fm

drgrudge said:
3. Foobar2000 (I know Cog, anything better?)
iTunes.

drgrudge said:
uTorrent along with these are the softwares that I miss.
You can run µTorrent using CrossOver. I do and it works spectacularly well. You can even setup the WebUI and access it using Firefox or Camino. :)

Top Bottom