The LG Optimus One Thread

hey everyone......i've some final doubts before buying o1......

1.i've read in xda forums that screen response is buggy and phone tends to be slow while playing games like raging thunder.......have any of the users experienced this..???

2. my main priority would be playing movies on my mobile......does installing rockplayer make the phone slow....??will it play mkv videos of standard resolutions??

3. and what about the battery life?? will it stand 2 days in average use?

please try to clarify these ....i would be buying the phone from cochin....the price is 12.5k here......

1. I haven't found a single lag yet (using launcher pro). Not tried raging thunder, but player nfs shift, and other 3d games which works well.

2. rock-player doesn't slow down the phone, again haven't tried mkv but i simply copied 700+ movies to phone SD and it was played perfectly by rock-player.

3. average use it will standby for 1.5day. my high usage stands for a day.

I also bought O1 for 12.5k try bargaining as some members purchased for 11.5-11.7k.

niraj87

Broken In
@gtcdon

Raging Thunder and almost all other 3D games work smoothly on the Optimus One coz they work without any lag on my Optimus GT540 (which has 600Mhz processor n only 170MB RAM)

Rock player turns the phone into a great video viewing experience. No issues. Rock player offers two viewing modes - system mode and a default mode. Some videos lag on the default mode, but all videos run smoothly on the system mode, which u can select on long-pressing a video in the folder.

This phone is a steal for the price you guys are being offered for.

Last edited:

utkarsh009

In the zone
hey guys does anyone know about some accessory (obviously micro usb camera) which enables video calling in lg optimus one p500? one of my friends found one for galaxy 3 which comes with a software which enables video calling. i also saw that galaxy 3 has the port on top but optimus had it at the bottom. so i guess that there might be some other type of accessory for optimus. @pauldmps: i saw my friend's so called 'NOKIa n98i' lolzzz...... it was a chinese crap. the camera was 8MP but clarity was even worse than a cheap indian handset. the UI was yuk!!!!!!!!! it was awful.

tejaslok

Journeyman
Finally got O1 today at the price of 12.2k including 5% VAT(bargained for some time and finally got @ this price). and i had previously used nokia 5130 xpressmusic So this is like a whole new xperience to me, the only word to describe it was !WOW! i had never had a touch(capacitive)screen phone and LG O1 is a very awesome phone and i need to go thru some threads here before installing any apps.

ty Digit for this Forum and ty Guys for info and the help......

cheers.... :)

BTW can some ppl here make a thread like the one that has all the "symbian apps". like this one

It will be helpful for me and some newbies about Android :p

Last edited:

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
@tejaslok: Congrats mate

@gtcdon: Tha battery backup is pretty good. I was trying out everything yesterday - bluetooth file transfers, wifi was ON for hours for app downloads and installs , texts, long calls, games (angry birds lol) plus an overnight standby and the battery is now at 40% (charged to full yesterday noon). Though the fastest battery drainer is wi-fi, ofcourse.

The only disappointments for me so far is firstly the Camera. It's pretty average inside rooms or low light areas. But oh well, at this price it would be too much to ask for. I guess the performance in Outside areas should be acceptable.
The other thing is the presence of some useless apps like Bollywoodji :mrgreen:. Will have to look for rooting and then freezing them today.

It would be great if we have an apps thread as Tejaslok suggested.

meanwhile, here is what I have downloaded/installed/tried out till now.

Apps
Opera
Handcent SMS
Appkik
Swype (It's a Beta and registeration is open now)
LauncherPro
PowerAmp
Rock Player
Vlingo
Battery Indicator
z4root
Colornote
Meebo IM

Misc
iMDB App
Battery Indicator
Compass
Instant Heart Rate

Games
Angry Birds1 & Seasons
Chess
Unblock Me Free

Any more suggestion guys?

utkarsh009

In the zone
@INFINITE: among games i also like replica island and atilt 3d. i've also downloaded an animated weather widget ( apart from the apps you've downloaded) and also easytube.

gtcdon

Bah humbug
1. I haven't found a single lag yet (using launcher pro). Not tried raging thunder, but player nfs shift, and other 3d games which works well.

2. rock-player doesn't slow down the phone, again haven't tried mkv but i simply copied 700+ movies to phone SD and it was played perfectly by rock-player.

3. average use it will standby for 1.5day. my high usage stands for a day.

I also bought O1 for 12.5k try bargaining as some members purchased for 11.5-11.7k.

@gtcdon

Raging Thunder and almost all other 3D games work smoothly on the Optimus One coz they work without any lag on my Optimus GT540 (which has 600Mhz processor n only 170MB RAM)

Rock player turns the phone into a great video viewing experience. No issues. Rock player offers two viewing modes - system mode and a default mode. Some videos lag on the default mode, but all videos run smoothly on the system mode, which u can select on long-pressing a video in the folder.

This phone is a steal for the price you guys are being offered for.
@tejaslok: Congrats mate

@gtcdon: Tha battery backup is pretty good. I was trying out everything yesterday - bluetooth file transfers, wifi was ON for hours for app downloads and installs , texts, long calls, games (angry birds lol) plus an overnight standby and the battery is now at 40% (charged to full yesterday noon). Though the fastest battery drainer is wi-fi, ofcourse.

The only disappointments for me so far is firstly the Camera. It's pretty average inside rooms or low light areas. But oh well, at this price it would be too much to ask for. I guess the performance in Outside areas should be acceptable.
The other thing is the presence of some useless apps like Bollywoodji :mrgreen:. Will have to look for rooting and then freezing them today.

It would be great if we have an apps thread as Tejaslok suggested.

meanwhile, here is what I have downloaded/installed/tried out till now.

Apps
Opera
Handcent SMS
Appkik
Swype (It's a Beta and registeration is open now)
LauncherPro
PowerAmp
Rock Player
Vlingo
Battery Indicator
z4root
Colornote
Meebo IM

Misc
iMDB App
Battery Indicator
Compass
Instant Heart Rate

Games
Angry Birds1 & Seasons
Chess
Unblock Me Free

Any more suggestion guys?

thnx a lot guys fr the help........surely getting o1 this week.....and do keep a apps and games thread so it will be helpful for android newbies like me......:mrgreen:

nandan

Right off the assembly line
Thumnail image in messaging

Hi guys i am a newbie to O1,

While texting messages through SMS i find my messages under thumbnail view of 'me'. The view is good in a thread, but how to dispaly my own image in that thumbnail image presently its blank. I updated 'My Profile' in contacts with my pic n phone number. O1 users plz help me in solving this, It would look great if i can get through this:|

O1 users help me.............

Last edited:

nandan

@Naino thanks buddy,I sorted pc suite problem.How about thumbnail image in messaging?????Any settings that have to be adjusted????????

Peregrine

I bought an O1 for 12.3 from the Mobile Store in Mumbai. They started with 12.6 but willingly reduced 300 when told that Croma is selling @ 12.3 :mrgreen:.

I have spent 3-4 days with O1 now. For a user like me, coming from a Sony Ericsson feature phone, the O1 with Froyo has been a revelation. Android has a way of making you think that you were using bricks before this :oops:.

Initial impression of O1 has been excellent. It is a solidly built phone and the soft touch material is real high quality stuff - it oozes class. I also appreciate the physical 4-buttons at the bottom. Not only does it look better (check out Motorola Quench XT3/5 with touch sensitive buttons and you will know what i am talking about), it's also more practical. Yes, the camera lacks flash, but then you are not buying the O1 for the camera. Mind you, the image quality is quite good for a 3 MP snapper. The screen is very responsive and multi touch works quite well. The default brightness is set to around 40% and it is quite enough - it can be increased if desired.

LG has skinned the stock 2.2 interface a little bit - this is good thing and a not so good thing also. LG has taken some tips from Launcher Pro and have provided an option for 7 home screens along with an application dock at the bottom. The interface is snappy and I have not experienced any lag whatsoever. In my opinion, there is no major reason to replace the default launcher with Launcher Pro or ADW.

LG "advertises" the fact that there are 40 pre-installed apps and I think this is the only mistake LG has made. Most of the applications are not really useful and some are just plain annoying (Bollywoodji !!!) and we can't remove these applications without rooting. Having said that, The annoyance level is really not that high for you to root the phone and void the warranty. Bollywoodji is the only app which has troubled me with constant notifications however you dont get more than 2-3 notifications a day (which can be easily deleted from the notification screen itself). My advice would be stick to the apps - some of them like Taskkiller are actually useful !

Till now I have installed only 2 additional apps - swype and adobe reader. Swype is must have and there is a significant improvement in typing speed and accuracy to be had. That said, any full touch screen phone (without a slider/ regular keypad) is not really suited to heavy texters.

Before buying this, I had considered Galaxy 3, SE Xperia X8 and Motorola quench XT3. However, each of them suffers from drawbacks (Eclair 2.1 for all, Poor resolution for G3, Small screen size and no multi touch for Xperia, poor looks and choppy touch screen of XT3) which made me go for O1 for the excellent value for money package it provides. LG's track record for mobile is not excellent in India, and I am convinced that they will reverse it with O1. After all, they are the No 3 in worldwide mobile handset sales (IDC report published in Digit Dec 2010 issue).

I will be posting further experiences as I get deeper into the phone.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
^^^
I also appreciate the physical 4 -buttons at the bottom. Not only does it look better ( check out Motorola Quench XT3 /5 with touch sensitive buttons and you will know what i am talking about)

:-D
I know that, using Galaxy 3 before this phone and really it's a good upgrade over it.

@nandan
No idea pal. Even I tried the same but all in vain :-(

OP
noobdroid

noobdroid

Broken In
@nandan:
it cannot be changed from normal settings.. not sure about any hack or tweak..
or else you can use ADW launcher it will change the home screen so you wont see the default msg icon ;)

Last edited:

nandan

@noobdroid:

Thanks for ur response buddy, but i dont want to change the look of the home screen :( Anyways lets hope that a new solution could be found for this thumbnail image in messaging thread

:)

niraj87

Broken In
Guys, I just noticed that LG launcher allows u to rearrange and unistall apps from the drawer itself on clicking the left hardware button menu? This is a newly discovered great facility for me. Knew abt it?

me1

Broken In
yeah, but does it really uninstall? have you noticed it does show move and uninstall, but there is no option to just pick one..or maybe there is..and i missed it somehow.

Edit: If i remember correctly, there is an option, to uninstall individual apps, but it doesn't really uninstall. I had tried it when I wanted to get rid of one of the apps. I figured individual rearranging is possible..

Last edited:
Top Bottom