the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
My internal HDD (the ones that came pre-installed) of my DV6-6165tx just crashed without any reasons today:banghead:. File errors, sometime hdd just disappears, copying errors etc. It was just fine, then after putting this hdd to the 2nd hdd caddy, this problem arose today. I don't know, i had to put some pressures when fitting and testing the HDD, maybe that caused it, accidentally I put pressure on the top of the HDD or whatever. So, here I am going to empty my pocket again(Its not even a month I just purchased the SSD and the caddy).:duh2:

The caddy is just a connector right? So it should not be the reason, i think.

Also just to share a strange story-
I use alliance broadband, there was an electrostatic issue with the MC, I connect through ethernet and I started feeling a little vibration with mild electricity when I touch the laptop.
After some days, the finger scan device just failed, didn't accept ant driver at all. I then had to hard reset the laptop (pressing the power switch of the laptop for 10 seconds after taking out the battery and pulling the power adaptop off, ie with no power supply), and that solved the issue. I then opened the MC my alliance provider provided and made manual earthing to ground, and the issue was solved.
Thinking about the future- I finally bought the "TP-Link 150 Mbps Wireless N Router (TL-WR740N)" and I'm using it now.

Pardon me, but I really like to share my tech-stories and my tech-emotions to you, thoughtful people:stirpot::doublethumb:

U know what bro,U stole my words. From the day I put my 640GB HDD in the caddy,Reallocated sectors count msg started coming.
The HDD failed after 4 months of usage.Got a new HDD from HP,a brand new one,with no errors. However,after 1 month of usage in caddy,again same msg(Reallocated count) with similar RAW values started coming.
Is the caddy a culprit??
My fingerprint reader is also going to fail I guess-White LED has become very much dim,however no other issues. I thank my stars that I had extended the warranty to 4 years. Otherwise,with my ever experimenting attitude,I would have incurred too much loss by now.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Hello Guys!

I thought I would update you on my 6121TX. I had purchased it on 4th June 2011, and after almost 3 years of use, I sold it a few days ago. Had to sell it because I now need something lightweight and smaller.

Yesterday I got a call from the buyer, who uses it for some animation work. He was extremely happy with its performance and its condition. Good luck to it in its new home! :-D

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Hello everybody I am in a big trouble so please help me out of this problem. I have HP DV6-6165tx and On playing Metal Gear Rising Revengeance the game crashes ( even the settings were on very low mode ) , it happened thrice and once a notification also came that the video driver has recovered from an unexpected error. I am really worried because my friends have laptops with lower configuration than mine but all modern games like NFS THE RUN, MGR Revengeance , COD Ghosts , Thief play on their laptops without producing much heat and run very smoothly. I do not know what is the exact problem with my laptop. Once I tried to update the graphics card driver and hp support but later on I came to know that Coolsense has been uninstalled and is not supported by the new AMD drivers. Please tell me about stable version of AMD Catalyst and which supports coolsense so that we can manually choose coolest mode etc. Thanks.

naveen.raptor

Broken In
My DV6-6121TX is about to be 3 years old. I would like to replace the battery. I need suggestions on which battery I should get. My priority is maximum battery life,so even a 9 cell battery with a bulge would be fine. Please help friends.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Hello everybody I am in a big trouble so please help me out of this problem. I have HP DV6-6165tx and On playing Metal Gear Rising Revengeance the game crashes ( even the settings were on very low mode ) , it happened thrice and once a notification also came that the video driver has recovered from an unexpected error. I am really worried because my friends have laptops with lower configuration than mine but all modern games like NFS THE RUN, MGR Revengeance , COD Ghosts , Thief play on their laptops without producing much heat and run very smoothly. I do not know what is the exact problem with my laptop. Once I tried to update the graphics card driver and hp support but later on I came to know that Coolsense has been uninstalled and is not supported by the new AMD drivers. Please tell me about stable version of AMD Catalyst and which supports coolsense so that we can manually choose coolest mode etc. Thanks.

Is the problem is only with MGS:Revengeance? Other games are running fine? And you have not mentioned, but is your laptop overheating?

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Is the problem is only with MGS:Revengeance? Other games are running fine? And you have not mentioned, but is your laptop overheating?

NFS The Run is running at very slow motion i.e. very low fps , Revengeance is causing BSOD, While switching to fullsceen from window mode in DIRT 2 whole system crashes... The system is heating @ 75C while playing games and 55C in normal mode.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Install OEM drivers. AMD mobile GPUs are trash and cause problems when reference non-OEM drivers are installed.

Prongs298

In the zone

use these :) - *leshcatlabs.net/2012/11/02/catalyst-12-10-whql-unifl-for-amdintel-graphics/

and for re-installing coolsense - use the recovery manager and select both the older versions of support assistant and coolsense.

Last edited:

dheena_dv6

New to this forum
Hi friends,

This thread is awesome and you guys are doing great by providing detailed useful information to newbies.

I have dv6-6165tx laptop and have recently installed windows8.1 and that's where the problem starts.
1. Just black screen while shutting down and it doesn't shutdown at all. System keeps running but with black screen.
2. Same black screen issue with sleep mode as well. Doesn't wake from sleep mode at all just a black screen.
3. Esc key, G,H,Backspace and Shift keys are not working in keyboard.

Just installed graphics driver alone both Intel and amd..nothing else in hard drive. I have uninstalled them but the problem exists. Seems they are notthe ssource of issue.

Someone might have solved these issue I guess. Please help me with this.

Thanks a lot in advance.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Hello Guys!
Time to update you all on my DV6 6121tx.
Bought it in the year 2011,and nearly after 2.5 years of usage,it is ready to find its new house.. Since it still has more than a Year Warranty with ADP left,I am getting very good offers of around ~35k!! But I am still in two minds,as it has been reliable like hell,and it being my first personal laptop,I am very unwilling to let it go...What do you guys think about the price.??

The reason of Update is that I have bought another beast from the HP Stable with Killer Specs-
-HP Envy 15-j133TX
-4th Gen Ci7 4702MQ
-8GB RAM
-1 TB HDD
-Nvidia GT750M 4GB Graphics
-Windows 8.1 Enterprise
-3 Years Warranty
-Price-Rs 74,400 + 999 For warranty From Flipkart.

First thing I did was to put a genuine 8.1 Enterprise on it(Yes,I am a MSP).This removed all HP Bloatwares...Then Kaspersky Protection.
BattleField 4 was ultra smooth on it....
But the best part I loved was that it didnt heat even a bit....Okay after 2 hrs of play,it did touch 82'C,but the surface was absolutely cool..And no noise at full load..Its idle temp is ~45'C.

I also considered Lenovo Y510 for quite a long time...But struck it off due to some reasons.
1.Was in love with the design of the envy...Lenovo looked too much bulky in comparison.
2.No warranty extension from Lenovo...In contrast,Rs999 offer was too good.
3.I am very much happy with HP service.In contrast,Lenovo service has been inconsistent for me.
4.PLUS,WSRetail was not having the Y510p in stock,while others quoted 77k for the same... Locally,it was available for 79k...This sealed the deal in favour of HP...You can call me a HP fanboy,as I have owned only HP laptops and Desktops and never had any major issue with them. :)

Prongs298

In the zone
[MENTION=119347]swiftshashi[/MENTION] - congratulations !! please post some nice pictures. also does it have coolsense?

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
@ Prongs298
I don't remember whether it was shipped with coolsense or not,as I formatted it straightaway and installed Win8.1 Enterprise....However I have installed coolsense on my own.Also the drivers page shows coolsense,so I guess it came with one.

A mega review coming up soon,just busy in exams....
BTW,has anyone of you tried Win8.1 on your dv6's??Which graphics driver did you use??I have 8 now,and everything is fine in it,only reason I am not upgrading it to 8.1 is that I fear the graphics may pose some issue.......However I do feel that both 8 and 8.1 are identical,so it should run on 8.1 too(logically)???

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Hello All,
Any DV6 owner from our series(dv6 6XXX) tried Win 8.1 on their laptop?? Any issues with respect to drivers??
Which AMD driver did you use??SOftPaq Number please??
I am running genuine Win 8 Pro on my DV6 and its running fine...An upgrade is available in Windows Store...Will any issues arise after update??

praveen786

Tech Master
In my Hp DV6 6165tx i installed win 8.1 but the 3 major problems i m facing right now are
1. bluetooth drivers not working.
2. Coolsense not working.
3. I am using leschat cutom drivers and i am unable to change brightness level on amd graphics mode [My Dv6 is on fixed graphics mode]
everything else works fine.

One question is ram increasing improves the gaming performance like extra fps on heavy games like nfs run, gta 4 etc. Should i consider to upgrade ram for only playing games?
if yes suggest some ram models to use with default ram.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Tell me one thing,was bluetooth disabled or turned off in Win 7 by HP connection manager,before you put up WIn 8??Then I am sorry,bluetooth will not work. I had to install Win 7 on a external HDD,turn on Bluetooth,and then remove Win 7,then only the hardware was detected in WIn 8.
No comments on custom drivers as I could never find any solution to this fixed brightness thing,hence I use HP drivers.
For coolsense,get latest HP Support framework,then latest Support assistant,and then latest Coolsense. It will work.

chandanw

Right off the assembly line
Hi all..

I just bought a bluetooth headset with Bluetooth 4.0 and aptx support. When I use it with my mobile (with Bluetooth 2.1) its audio quality is great like almost what I get from wired headset. If I connect headset to my 6140 tx(with Bluetooth 3.0+HS) its sounding like old stereo player with faded details.

When I checked Bluetooth audio from playback devices menu of laptop, I found that it is limited to 2 channel, 16 bit and 44100kHz.

Please suggest any method to increase quality of music played over Bluetooth.

Sent from my LT26ii using Digit, powered by appyet.com

Tintin.92

Broken In
Guys, I'm still using my 2 year old 6165tx. I have a couple of queries.

1) Should I buy WatchDogs? The reason I'm asking is because the minimum specs says 6GB system ram, whereas I of course have only 4. I'm getting varied reports from all over the internet, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

2) If 4gb isn't enough, can I just buy a 2gb stick?

3) This is an unrelated annoyance. Ever since I installed ubuntu on my computer last year, I have a problem with booting to windows. When I select Windows 7 in the grub menu, if any external storage is connected via USB (eg pern drive, ext hard disk), the boot process gets stuck and I must force shutdown. This problem doesn't happen when I boot to Ubuntu. Any clue how I can fix this?

Top Bottom