the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

vishu22

Broken In
guyz i m going wid dis -> Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive 9.5 mm thickness 1 TB Laptop Internal Hard Drive (ST1000LM014) - Seagate: Flipkart.com
dis wil best suit my needs as i m a heavy gamer :enforcer2: , ... it will cost around 9k ! now i wanna know dat ..will it work @ 6gb/s in my dv6 6121tx or @ 3gb/s (like my older hdd) , does any 1 hav bought dis , will it get fit perfectly in my lappy , plzz reply soon ..just wanna confirm it ! as i m ordering it in a day or 2 !!

dsanandmca

Right off the assembly line
Guys,
Please let me know is it possible to change DV6 6165tx laptop keyboard (original keyboard) to backlit keyboard? If yes how?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
1. The Win 7 drivers don't work. I have tried multiple versions. Only SP59407 drivers from HP work
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59407.exe

These drivers are fully compatible with Windows 8 and 8.1. However you need a clean Windows 8/8.1 install to install. If you already are using Win 8/8.1 with partially working drivers, installing this driver might not solve issues. Clean install will work flawlessly though (tried and tested)

2. Dynamic or Fixed mode was not available in 6017tx. I manually switch gfx by Rt click on Desktop > Configure Switchable Graphics

3. SP59407 is unstable. However installing Catalyst 12.10 ( *www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe ) after installing sp59407 solves the bugs. On its own 59407 crashes frequently and might give BSOD while switching. The 59407 + Catalyst 12.10 reference driver combo is fairly stable.

BF3 keeps crashing after 15-20 minutes gameplay. I googled for error and found other gfx cards also facing same issue. I stopped playing so no idea if EA has released a bugfix for the game.

Installation instructions

1. Clean install Windows 8 / 8.1 ( do not use upgrade option while installing or install over existing Win 8 drivers)
2. Install SP59407 ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59407.exe
3. Install 12.10 reference drivers *www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe

PS. all driver links are for 64-bit OS only

Tried all of the above. Nothing helped.

I was able to atleast nstall the altest 9.12 beta mobility driver but the resolution remained defiantly at 1024x768 on my 1366x768 laptop monitor. Installed the Intel driver and boom - black screen with everything working except the display.

I have given up on getting the drivers to work properly- I dont even care anymore. Is there some way I can just get the native resolution enabled in the MS default display.inf ?

I dont even care what GPU is active as long as the resolution is proper - I have W7 to do all other work.

My laptop specs are in my signature - very similar to the 6017tx

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
guyz i m going wid dis -> Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive 9.5 mm thickness 1 TB Laptop Internal Hard Drive (ST1000LM014) - Seagate: Flipkart.com
dis wil best suit my needs as i m a heavy gamer :enforcer2: , ... it will cost around 9k ! now i wanna know dat ..will it work @ 6gb/s in my dv6 6121tx or @ 3gb/s (like my older hdd) , does any 1 hav bought dis , will it get fit perfectly in my lappy , plzz reply soon ..just wanna confirm it ! as i m ordering it in a day or 2 !!

Avoid it...............It has many issues,I was about to get it bt was advised against it.
Buy a 250 GB samsung evo ssd and keep your laptops HDD in place of your optical disk using a caddy

Guys,Please help................

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/storage/179913-error-message-my-2-5yr-old-laptop-hdd-do-i-need-worry.html

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

I have a 6121tx with 4GB RAM same as when I purchased it. I want to upgrade my RAM to 8GB. Which RAM should I buy, any specific requirement that I should check when purchasing an additional 4GB stick to pair with the existing one?

And where should I buy it from? is it necessary that I should buy from an HP vendor itself or are they available online on ebay or flipkart?

Thanks.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Hi,

I have a 6121tx with 4GB RAM same as when I purchased it. I want to upgrade my RAM to 8GB. Which RAM should I buy, any specific requirement that I should check when purchasing an additional 4GB stick to pair with the existing one?

And where should I buy it from? is it necessary that I should buy from an HP vendor itself or are they available online on ebay or flipkart?

Thanks.

Get this one:

Corsair DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

Prongs298

In the zone
i have been using my friends 2GB + my original 4GB. and i must say the 2GB was enough. But i need to buy one myself and am confused by 4gb or 8gb. rs2500 for 4gb seems a steal but i am tempted by 8gb as it will make it 12. do i really need that much?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
What do you use on your laptop that needs that much RAM ?

My specific reason was that I use Virtual machines and the disk was getting thrashed quite noticeably due to lack of memory.

Prongs298

In the zone
with 4 gb firefox+lots of addons and km player+gom player. also stalker. was giving me hiccups. the fox and media players seem to have been solved by the extra 2 gb. but i have to think for the future as ram prices for this are only going to rise. so 4 or 8?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I use firefox heavily (80-90 tabs over 3-4 windows with a bunch os search, note taking and Tab management addons - each webpage can be somtimes as large as 5 MB of raw HTML code) a couple of VNC windows open, with outlook and I always see the RAM hover around the 80% range (4 GB RAM).

Coming to your question. It never hurts to have more RAM, except on your wallet. Sp if you have the cash, splurge, but if you dont, I think a total system RAM of 8 GB is more than sufficient for quite some time (unless you see yourself using some heavy softwares in the near horizon which you dont now)

Prongs298

In the zone
I use firefox heavily (80-90 tabs over 3-4 windows with a bunch os search, note taking and Tab management addons - each webpage can be somtimes as large as 5 MB of raw HTML code) a couple of VNC windows open, with outlook and I always see the RAM hover around the 80% range (4 GB RAM).

Coming to your question. It never hurts to have more RAM, except on your wallet. Sp if you have the cash, splurge, but if you dont, I think a total system RAM of 8 GB is more than sufficient for quite some time (unless you see yourself using some heavy softwares in the near horizon which you dont now)

ok. thats about right. mine sometimes goes to 99. but like yours stays at 80. now the next thing is - will it increase or decrease battery life? will it add to the heat much? this is all 4gb stick VS the 8gb stick.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
ok. thats about right. mine sometimes goes to 99. but like yours stays at 80. now the next thing is - will it increase or decrease battery life? will it add to the heat much? this is all 4gb stick VS the 8gb stick.

Not very sure - but it does affect battery life, say some 2-4% worse maybe, at max. Heat should not be worry.

aniket.cain

Padawan
I have been using 8GB since I got this laptop 2.5 years ago. I got the same RAM I recommended above for Rs. 1800 then.

I use Virtual Box to run Ubuntu (which too is housed on the SSD), and it doesn't feel like a virtual machine when you are in it. :p

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
What do you people do in 90 tabs ?!
Last time when I didn't shutdown my laptop since a week, the tab count was around 50 (also my lifetime highest), which ultimately had to be abandoned due to obvious reasons. Otherwise normal usage is ~20 tabs. But 90 ?? :/

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
What do you people do in 90 tabs ?!
Last time when I didn't shutdown my laptop since a week, the tab count was around 50 (also my lifetime highest), which ultimately had to be abandoned due to obvious reasons. Otherwise normal usage is ~20 tabs. But 90 ?? :/

Work. I shut down my laptop once in a week or fewer.

Last edited:

vgr

Broken In
My laptop smells like something is burning when I play games these days! I'm not sure if it's the plastic or any of the parts inside!
It first happened last week when I was playing saints row 4.... I thought it there was something cooking in the house close to mine so I didn't bother much.... but then I took a whiff after playing and realized that it was coming from the laptop!@#!$#!#%!#$%!$%!
A few posts on other forums said using compressed air could help... I haven't been able to find it here in Kochi so yea any suggestions on how to fix this?? I really don't want to let go of this one...

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
My laptop smells like something is burning when I play games these days! I'm not sure if it's the plastic or any of the parts inside!
It first happened last week when I was playing saints row 4.... I thought it there was something cooking in the house close to mine so I didn't bother much.... but then I took a whiff after playing and realized that it was coming from the laptop!@#!$#!#%!#$%!$%!
A few posts on other forums said using compressed air could help... I haven't been able to find it here in Kochi so yea any suggestions on how to fix this?? I really don't want to let go of this one...

Replied in your other thread... Stop posting in more than one thread...

Top Bottom