the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

sasha007

Broken In
Hello Everyone,

I own a DV6t-3100 from last ~15 months. Bought this laptop on 30th December, 2012 from US and using it from May,2011.

Configuration: Core i7-720QM, 8gb DDR3 RAM, ATI HD5650 1gb DDR3, 640gb HDD @ 7200 RPM, backlit keyboard

I normally play Prince of Persia (1-4) and Assasin's Creed; although not playing anything from last 5 months.

Initially was too happy with this laptop and was bragging a lot. After some day I noticed its getting hotter even with normal usage and wasn't fit to be kept on lap. Whenever I play games its noticeably superhot and cant't use the laptop keyboard easily. Finally during September, 2011..its started shutting down due to overheat. I purchase cooler master notepal series cooling pad and effectively it solved my problem initially but during the December 2011 it once againg getting superhot and even the coolpad wasnt able to help much.

Recently I disassembled my laptop (2 days back) and changed the thermal paste to Arctic Silver Ceramique2...its kind of ok now...but still need to test it more...now the idle temperature is 55 C, Moderate usgae 68 C and gaming 78 C (have tested only with 1o mints of gaming)..all temperature without cooling pad.

Seriously there is some design issue with these HP laptops and they need to provide a better and high quality thermal paste and heatsink. Temperature till 80 C is ok with gaming else it shuld have to be around 50 C with mild usage.

Note: if your DV6 is overheating means(idle temp 70 C) you need to change its thermal paste. invest in a good quality cooling pad. While changing the thermal paste remove the old paste completely clean the surfaces with IPA (although I prefer just wiping it off with cotton rags)

If affordable go for HP extended warrant...you can puchase one even if you hv got ur lappy from outside India (i got to know recently..:(..). If warranty expired go for AMC.

Thanks to Rachit Mahule (best of luck for your final semester exam) for starting this thread.

Comments and questions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Boldtank

Hey .
If i buy the DV6 from USA ...
How can i buy extended warranty in India .?? :-?

Plz reply ...

boldtank

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

you need to call on HP support # 1800 425 4999; choose the proper option and they talk to the representative. Extended warranty can be purchased only up to a certain time period if it has expired you need to get in touch with authorized service center and go for annual maintenance contract.

before buying the warranty properly check with them..and if possible take it in written...some time they deny after selling the warranty.

you can check the following links:
HP Care Pack Services | HP

HP warranty issue - Page 2 - HP Support Forum

thanks

sasha007

Broken In
Hi,

you need to call on HP support # 1800 425 4999; choose the proper option and they talk to the representative. Extended warranty can be purchased only up to a certain time period if it has expired you need to get in touch with authorized service center and go for annual maintenance contract.

before buying the warranty properly check with them..and if possible take it in written...some time they deny after selling the warranty.

you can check the following links:
HP Care Pack Services | HP

HP warranty issue - Page 2 - HP Support Forum

thanks

Okay , And also do you know that buying the dv6 from the US , will give us international warranty for 1 year or not .?

And does HP India honor the extended warranty on the laptop bought from US .?

boldtank

Okay , And also do you know that buying the dv6 from the US , will give us international warranty for 1 year or not .?

And does HP India honor the extended warranty on the laptop bought from US .?

Now a days only few of the manufacturers giving international warranty...and in case of an international warranty cost difference is negligible...no the extended warranty purchased in US will not be honored in India..its like two different company one is HP us and the other HP India.

sasha007

Broken In
Now a days only few of the manufacturers giving international warranty...and in case of an international warranty cost difference is negligible...no the extended warranty purchased in US will not be honored in India..its like two different company one is HP us and the other HP India.

Okay so do you know if HP US offers international warranty .?

Ans how does HP India provide extended warranty for the laptop bought in the US .? :-o

samudragupta

Youngling
Okay so do you know if HP US offers international warranty .?

Ans how does HP India provide extended warranty for the laptop bought in the US .? :-o
our answers here are all based on assumptions... i suggest you directly contact HP Contact HP - Phone assistance | HP to clarify your doubts...

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Got the warranty increased by 2 years to a total of 3 yrs.Total damages were Rs.6330.I feel its totally worth the money,considering the type of reputation dv6 series had in past.However,havent faced any hardware relAted issues so far..

boldtank

our answers here are all based on assumptions... i suggest you directly contact HP Contact HP - Phone assistance | HP to clarify your doubts...

I have personally given a call to them and they asked me to talk to authorized service center. Although my normal warranty had expired so they suggest me to go for AMC...but its a pity no one knows about the AMC at the service centers here in bangalore..they keep passing my call from one person to another for 10 mints and finally they disconnect it.

i solved my problem on my own.

@Sasha: I do not know whether HP US provide international warranty or not but you can better check it once you go there and then keep us updated about the same by posting here.

Also I am not sure whether or not they will provide an extended warranty for a laptop purchased in US...as per my conversation with them I had properly informed them that mine is purchased in US and they suggest me to got for AMC ; since warranty is expired.

Now a days almost every company is profitable only because of extended warranty and AMC; in this way they can collect a lot of money and can reuse the refurbished components (they keep the damaged part and replace it with repaired parts). For example now a days hardly any company selling low-to-mid range printers are making profit by selling printers alone they are profitable by selling printer cartridges and service warranties.

samudragupta

Youngling
Got the warranty increased by 2 years to a total of 3 yrs.Total damages were Rs.6330.I feel its totally worth the money,considering the type of reputation dv6 series had in past.However,havent faced any hardware relAted issues so far..
how come it cost you 6300? there was an ongoing offer of 999 isnt it?

maddy1205

bloody hell mate!!!!
I switched on my laptop today and received a message saying that fan was not working, but the fan was working perfectly..next time i switched on there was no such message..so should i be worried??..should i take it to hp center??...or was it some glitch??

my laptop is 2 months old

rider

as Kratos
I noticed that there is some problem in my fan.. It starts sounding like a rotating wheel
Is there any problem in it?
LISTEN

Sking

real steel
hp is sellin gt 630m gpu in new dv6 series at 58k rs while 630m is jus a revised 525m gpu of inspiron,,
lol,poor customers.....

tusharkeshri

Broken In
even i experienced driver power state failure two times in 2 hours.I uninstalled auslogics optimization software.I had repaired registry and defragmented using auslogics.I had read that optimization software can cause this.

Can anybody tell me anything about this ? Why it happens ?

Well i posted the same problem in seven forums and they told me to upload the dump files which i did after that they told that the problem may be because of optimization software Tune Up Utilities and maybe because of Daemon tools ,they also told to check if any USB driver is causing the problem , they also told to perform the CHKDSK for the C drive, after that i havn't seen the BSOD from last 7 days.

rider

as Kratos
LOL New Ivy Bridges' GPU that is Intel HD 4000 = nvidia GT 525M

BTW new Inspiron 14R and 15R are going to be launch this month
Conf of core-i7 15R:

Ivy bridge Core i7-3612QM CPU 2.1Ghz (upto 3.1Ghz)
6 GB DDR3 RAM (1600 Mhz)
AMD Radeon HD 7730M (better than HD 6770M)
1 TB of space at 5400rpm
Normal HD LED screen

----------------------------------------------------------------
Costing $1,599 singapore dollars i.e. ₹ 68,213 would be cost 60k in India (maybe)

Last edited:
Answer It Please !!

I went To Hp's Site, Then i went to dv6 series..i saw that some of the laptops are gone from their site like dv6-6165tx is gone..DOES IT MEAN THAT THEY WILL BE GONE FROM MARKET AS WELL?

I also went to dell's site , I SAW 15R'S WITH DEDICATED GPU'S ARE GONE, the only one available is 15R with Intel's Gpu..... What is Happening.

Is this because some new models of hp and dell came in market , I.E. DV7 and New Xps??
:shock:

Top Bottom