the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

ParaXite

Power User
Guys i just played brothers in arms, hells highway for 10 mins in nonac room and my gpu hit temp of 90^celcius...woops i had to shut down the game...but this was at maxed out settings. Shud i change the resolution? Wud that help?

My GPU temperature never crossed 80 as well and not in 10 mins , it takes longer. Btw my CPU core temperatures go up to 85*C while gaming so its ok. Put coolsense on coolest and limit processor power to 80% and check. Because in laptops hot components can raise the temperature of other things nearby.

Do another test of temperature and if you find its spiking high very fast try taking it to the service centre.

rider

as Kratos
My laptop manufature date was aug 11. Wud that matter?

My model is also of Aug'11. It doesn't matter. I think you didn't set BIOS setting properly.

Did you followed these instructions:
1)Download BIOS version F.1B dated 2011-10-31
2)Keep the adapter plugged in and launch the downloaded file. It will update automatically, would take some time.
3)Once it is done you have to go to BIOS settings and change the graphics mode from dynamic to fixed. Then select manually which gpu to use by right clicking on desktop.

Last edited:

samudragupta

Youngling
hi friends, my mistake... i turned on the coolsense mode and it has really cooled down my lappy... i played the game again and temps did not exceed 76^ Celsius...
btw how does this feature work? i mean should i always leave it on coolest mode or use it only while gaming?

My model is also of Aug'11. It doesn't matter. I think you didn't set BIOS setting properly.

Did you followed these instructions:
1)Download BIOS version F.1B dated 2011-10-31
2)Keep the adapter plugged in and launch the downloaded file. It will update automatically, would take some time.
3)Once it is done you have to go to BIOS settings and change the graphics mode from dynamic to fixed. Then select manually which gpu to use by right clicking on desktop.
i did follow the exact instructions bro and it was me who had not turned on hp coolsense...:)

ParaXite

Power User
hi friends, my mistake... i turned on the coolsense mode and it has really cooled down my lappy... i played the game again and temps did not exceed 76^ Celsius...
btw how does this feature work? i mean should i always leave it on coolest mode or use it only while gaming?

Coolest mode uses the fan at full speed whenever needed to reduce temperature. Use it while on external power and while gaming. Don't use it when on battery because it will consume power.

samudragupta

Youngling
thanks, in the software however there are 2 modes stationary and mobile mode, and im using a coolpad... i use it on my bed, so when i switch to coolest mode, should i change it in both options?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Actually if you are looking for performance, the coolest mode makes little sense. It apparently throttles down the processor too. Therefore the temperature reduced not only because of the fan, but also the cpu running at less than peak power. I have found it that it does reduce performance in games. Not by much, but definitely observable. Just thought i'd share.

samudragupta

Youngling
Actually if you are looking for performance, the coolest mode makes little sense. It apparently throttles down the processor too. Therefore the temperature reduced not only because of the fan, but also the cpu running at less than peak power. I have found it that it does reduce performance in games. Not by much, but definitely observable. Just thought i'd share.
oh all right!!! but when you say that gaming performance is reduced, how is that?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Because of CPU throttling. Although the games are mostly reliant on the GPU, the CPU is also responsible for a part of the performance. So..

samudragupta

Youngling
Gr8 well these are minor things then.... I wud rather compromise on these aspects than burning the gpu... Btw when we talk about the Gpu are we talking about the motherboard and graphi card both or just the graphic card?

Deepika N

Right off the assembly line
Hey there, I bought the dv6-6165tx 2 months back and The catalyst cooling centre has not been responding ever since I got it.. I've checked a lot of threads online and none of the solutions seem to be working..And hp customer service seems to be of absolutely no help. The finally told me this laptop does not support switchable graphics..Is that so? I really know nothing about laptops..I have all the latest drivers installed..And dynamic mode has been selected in the Bios..So will the graphics switch automatically or do I still need to choose the programs for which I need it to? I'm sorry if any of the questions sound stupid..I can't help it =P I really need it to work for google sketchup urgently as I have a design review at college in a few days and I can take the laptop to the service centre only after that..Please help me =(

sarthak

In the zone
The graphic card is soldered on the motherboard, so I guess if it burns it can damage the motherboard also. But I hardly see my GPU going over 70. Its the processor that heats up.

rajul0616

Broken In
Wifi Facing Problems.

Guyz i need urgent help ...my roomies used to create an hotspot using Connectify and then we all shared the network.
But since few days i am not able to connect to the network and also if i create a hotspot the other people will get disconnected every 2 mins.
What to do...how and what to unistall and reinstall??
ps: i already have unistalled and reinstalled connectify more then 20 times.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
wow are you serious? not exceeding 70:shock:

Yeah its the processor that heats up more.

But i'm not sure what temp the GPU hits. had checked mine long ago running dirt 2, at rather reduced settings, saw the GPU hitting 65 and the processor hitting 70~72C.

Guyz i need urgent help ...my roomies used to create an hotspot using Connectify and then we all shared the network.
But since few days i am not able to connect to the network and also if i create a hotspot the other people will get disconnected every 2 mins.
What to do...how and what to unistall and reinstall??
ps: i already have unistalled and reinstalled connectify more then 20 times.

I have never used connectify, so cant comment, but wouldnt an ad-hoc network serve your purpose as well?

ParaXite

Power User
Guys what do you use to control the i7's turbo boost and to overclock it? Also how good is the MSI Afterburner to overclock the 6770m?

Im not going to overclock right now but will keep these softwares with me for future use.

sarthak

In the zone
^^^^ I wasn't able to move the sliders in MSI Afterburner. Try Sapphire Trixx for graphic card. Don't know about processor.

ParaXite

Power User
^^^^ I wasn't able to move the sliders in MSI Afterburner. Try Sapphire Trixx for graphic card. Don't know about processor.

Is your graphics mode switched to "fixed" from the BIOS? Make it "fixed", select High performance GPU and try moving the bars.

Also, refer to this : *forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/599746-overclocking-radeon-6770m-dv6t-61xx.html

piyus_h

Broken In
any1 looking forwward to buy hp 6165tx .... here is the cheapest price i've found for it online

HP Pavilion Dv6-6165Tx - Buy Laptops Online at Lowest Prices on Snapdeal.com

sarthak

In the zone
Is your graphics mode switched to "fixed" from the BIOS? Make it "fixed", select High performance GPU and try moving the bars.

Also, refer to this : Overclocking the Radeon 6770m in the dv6t 61xx

Thanks for the link. I guess after editing that file it should work properly. Would try it after exams ;)

Top Bottom