the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

Chinmay91

Insomniac
can anyone help me out? im a new member and got the 6165tx recently, and im having some problems with the graphics..
skyrim on low graphics(1366*768, everything else low) 10-15fps, acc to notebookcheck i should be getting at least 30..
hp coolsense is on performance mode, set to high performance graphics in CCC..i dont have an option to set the gfx card manually..is there something im doing wrong? havent updated the bios or anything..ive heard this isnt advisable as this will screw up your laptop and null the warranty?
help!

Download the BIOS update from the official HP site.Since it is from HP, it won't void your warranty.
In Dynamic mode(default), you may set Skyrim to High Performance mode by: right clicking on desktop and selecting the game and setting to "High Performance mode"(GFX Mode).

sarthak

In the zone
I have 6165tx. It Heats a lot. When i was playing NFS HP the temp went up to 78* C max, bbut today when i was playing CS it went to 85 *c. I just cant understand how.

How to keep this laptop cool??
Plz help me out. I am first time laptop user. SO not much idea abt laptops :)

Try playing CS with Intel HD 3000 and coolsense.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I have 6165tx. It Heats a lot. When i was playing NFS HP the temp went up to 78* C max, bbut today when i was playing CS it went to 85 *c. I just cant understand how.

no need to worry it's an average temp. during playing when not using any cooling pad .so better to use cooling pad and use coolsense mode too.

85° while playing CS, and still normal? Are you joking? Mate at least don't misguide others if you don't know the info.

clinton

Blu For Life Hail Chelsea
85C for CS!!!
I guess even starting Crysis will fry it off...
TC buddy,I too suggest run CS with INTEL HD gfx.

vickyrathore

Broken In
85° while playing CS, and still normal? Are you joking? Mate at least don't misguide others if you don't know the info.
U play it for more than 2hr without using coolsense and cooling pad and tell me the temp you got.if i don't know what happens with HP laptops than no one know have three laptops of HP dv6 series after playing a hour without ac the temp reaches easily 75above.So better to take your suggestion with you and no need to scratch ur head for what other right untill ur sure.

vijayantp

HP DV6 6165TX

I have 6165tx.I play dirt 3,skyrim vs elder scrolls,nfs hp,witcher 2 ,lanoire,mafia 2 all at decent high graphics.The cpu and gpu temperature both peaks at 70 degrees and is generally between 65-70 degree.I play in a non ac room.I have coolmaster U3 . I have kept the max processor in power management at 75 % and use coolest mode always.
the left side of the laptop gets very hots after one hour of play.
In normal use i.e. ,songs,movies,browsing,editing and other stuff temperature peaks at 48-50 degree and is generally between 42-46 degree.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
U play it for more than 2hr without using coolsense and cooling pad and tell me the temp you got.if i don't know what happens with HP laptops than no one know have three laptops of HP dv6 series after playing a hour without ac the temp reaches easily 75above.So better to take your suggestion with you and no need to scratch ur head for what other right untill ur sure.

Well I didn't gave any suggestion, but said that 85° is just too much for CS. If this is normal for you, time to check your laptop, otherwise god saves your laptop. FYI you can see the post just below to your reply. Then you'll come to know who needs scratching his head. :p

vickyrathore

Broken In
Well I didn't gave any suggestion, but said that 85° is just too much for CS. If this is normal for you, time to check your laptop, otherwise god saves your laptop. FYI you can see the post just below to your reply. Then you'll come to know who needs scratching his head. :p

read my post carefully and also see what the person(u r refrng) is saying (which mode and more than that he also using cooling pad).i'm saying that if u playing game for more than two hrs without cooling pad and cs mode than temp can reach 85 deg..:crazy:

vijayantp

HP DV6 6165TX
read my post carefully and also see what the person(u r refrng) is saying (which mode and more than that he also using cooling pad).i'm saying that if u playing game for more than two hrs without cooling pad and cs mode than temp can reach 85 deg..:crazy:

cooling pad can help to reduce the temp by 5 degree max.without cooling pad and other stuff also the temperatures should not increase more than 75 -80 degrees.its better to keep maximum processor utilization at 75 %..it reduces temperatures by 10 degrees.

Prongs298

In the zone
but still playing cs on this laptop shouldnt get the temps to 85. either the coolsense settings are messed up or the cooling vents were severely blocked or he was playing in a really warm area. i play call of pripyat on intel hd gfx and the temps rarely cross 50.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Played CS Source for 4 hours. High Performance + Coolsense. No cooler. Max temperature 73. 85 is very high. I got 85 while converting a movie with coolsense off

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

I guess replies by other DV6 owners are enough to answer your quote.

CATALU/\/A

Soccer Aficionado
I have a dv6-6165tx.
Whenever I switch to "High Performance GPU" in fixed mode, I get a error message that "your driver has crashed and recovered from a serious error". Then a bluescreen comes which says "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed".
Then I have to restart it and choose from bios DYNAMIC switching to make the bluescreen disappear.

Then at restart this message is displayed-

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 16393

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80095B5010
BCP2: FFFFF8800476C41C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\021112-26208-01.dmp
C:\Users\Bhaskar\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40061-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

What should I do now? I had restored me laptop to my factory state but still the problem exists.
I can work on Intel Graphics but cannot switch. Purchased 2 weeks ago.
Please help...

Prongs298

In the zone
@cataluna - try these steps :
1 uninstall and then reinstall all the display drivers.
2 update the bios.
3 run ccleaner and clean the registry and the junk files.

and only use the drivers given to u b hp and the bios update should be the one which gives you the options to choose fixed and dynamic switching modes. this should solve the problem but if it doesnt contact hp asap.

abhi_techie

Right off the assembly line
I was under the impression that 6140TX had gone obsolete and lost all hopes of finding it and was gonna settle for a much more expensive upgrade 6165TX but luckily i ran across it @ Croma outlet :razz:

Needless to say i purchased it right away @ 50K .... :p

So all you guys do have a look at Croma outlets if you want to buy this lappie .... seems like they still got it stockd quite a bit :mrgreen:

nd ya ... thanks to all da reviews....really helped me to make up my mind for buying this baby ..... :)

CATALU/\/A

Soccer Aficionado
@cataluna - try these steps :
1 uninstall and then reinstall all the display drivers.
2 update the bios.
3 run ccleaner and clean the registry and the junk files.

and only use the drivers given to u b hp and the bios update should be the one which gives you the options to choose fixed and dynamic switching modes. this should solve the problem but if it doesnt contact hp asap.

Thanks @Prongs298, but I restored my laptop to my factory settings, and then tried to switch via Fixed Switching.
But the same problem persists so I am currently on a chat to the HP support assistant. I think it is an hardware error.

Last edited:

vgr

Broken In
what do u use instead of HP coolsense?
I tried a whole bunch o things way back but was never able to get it working after reinstalling it...
This is the post on the hp forum:
HP Cool sense Problem - DV6 6172 - Windows 7 64 - HP Support Forum
Do msg me if theres n alternative as in apart from reinstalling all the bloatware.

Top Bottom