the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

prasanna2991

Right off the assembly line
Does the 6165tx have a subwoofer? Does the laptop have 4 speakers? Also if laptop is on sleep or turned off, can charge a USB device with the USB port?

akhilfree

Broken In
1.hey guys, can any one help me with the webcam...
whenever i start the youcam software the cam starts but everything is dark(only tubelight in the room is visible!!)
is there any tweaks in the setting i need to do ??

2.when i go to start/devices and printers it shows a ! symbol at the laptop and it says unknown device at one of the usb.. and when i click on bluetooth settings nothing happens.. i have tried installing drivers again but no results.how can i use the bluetooth on this laptop(6121tx)??

PLEASE HELP.. i am really worried if its a hardware issue..

one more problem
3. whenever i start CS5 it says dispaly driver has stopped working and has recovered but then CS5 hangs..
same happens when i try to play amnesia:the dark decent
but it works with intel gfx but lags a lot..
is it opengl issue?? i thought it was solved with bios update??

1. I have the same exact issue, try taking a few pics in sunlight and see what happens. It seems ridiculous but the web cam seems to be usable only in sunlight.

2.it's a driver issue, I had that when i did a clean install; nothing major though.
Bluetooth must work fine, try right click and enable/switch on bluetooth icon;

3.Amnesia works fine in 'fixed mode' and on 'Dedicated Gpu'. Probably you are having a driver issue(i had a lot of problem with games on 11.8 & 11.9). Try the new 11.10 drivers.

prasanna2991

Does the 6165tx have a subwoofer? Does the laptop have 4 speakers? Also if laptop is on sleep or turned off, can you charge a USB device with the USB port?
So does no sound come from the two 'vents' on the front edge as posted by nCyCoD? Also could someone try out if this trick works?

The trick:
Go to Device Manager-> Universal Serial Bus Controllers-> Right click USB Root Hub->Properties->Power Management and uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Could you see if the USB ports work while sleeping.

I can't check this because my USB ports work while the laptop is in sleep (but not when shut down). I have a HP dv2601tu which is 6 years old and I don't know if this property is a feature or a 'problem' of my laptop.

rajasekhar911

Broken In
Hi

has anyone here tried ubuntu 11.10 on 6165 ?
i created 5 ntfs partitions and 50GB raw space to install ubuntu using
windows disk mgmt . but in the ubuntu installation process , it shows the whole disk as 2 ntfs partition . even the RECOVERY partition is not shown ?

any ideas?

PS: i am going to try with ubuntu 11.04

rameshb20

Hello rachitboom2,

I am planning to buy the dv6 6165tx. Couple of questions>
1. How is the Wireless connectivity and range. Does it take a long time to detect WiFi, is it slow on wireless (I intend to download movies, music etc.)
2. Can i run Maya, Blender, 3ds Max and authoring software like scenarist on this

-Thanks
Ramesh

amirtaraj

Broken In
Hi

windows disk mgmt . but in the ubuntu installation process , it shows the whole disk as 2 ntfs partition . even the RECOVERY partition is not shown ?

any ideas?

Try the Windows installer package which is easy to configurate :
Download | Ubuntu

red dragon

Master troll
You mean Wubi?
I hope you know the problems associated with it.

The most annoying are the hibernation issue and slower disc performance.

Another thing can cause a very serious problem,
with Wubi we are basically using two file systems in the same partition(NTFS and ext3)
and this can cause trouble(at least in theory)specially after hard reboot.

I am linux noob,but will suggest you to read up some more and then do a full install ,there should not be any problem.
First get yourself familiar with UNIX file system,it is not really hard.

amirtaraj

Broken In
You mean Wubi?
I hope you know the problems associated with it.

The most annoying are the hibernation issue and slower disc performance.

Another thing can cause a very serious problem,
with Wubi we are basically using two file systems in the same partition(NTFS and ext3)
and this can cause trouble(at least in theory)specially after hard reboot.

I am linux noob,but will suggest you to read up some more and then do a full install ,there should not be any problem.
First get yourself familiar with UNIX file system,it is not really hard.

Yes, Agreed also its Unstable but If in case just to try out a new OS and not actually using it one can go with Wubi but If one really wants to use then is by boot disk

red dragon

Master troll
Hi

any ideas?

Firstly make certain things clear about windows partition.
By default on a basic MBR disc you CAN NOT make five partitions.
You can make 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and 1 extended partition.You can make upto 128 logical volumes in that extended partition.

You probably have made 1 primary and 1 extended partition,the extended partition is further broken into 3/4 logical volumes.

Naturally Ubuntu install disc is showing only 2 partitions(as there are only 2 in reality)

Now you please read up some more about ext3 and swap partition before further experiments.

rajasekhar911

Broken In
hi

@red_dragon and @amirtaraj
thanks for your inputs .

first of all i don't think i can use wubi . (i need this as my development m/c)

regarding the partitions, what i did was shrink the C drive to 175GB (after defrag) and use the free space to create Logical Volumes of around 100GB and left the rest as raw for ubuntu. If i remember correctly , in my previous laptop, during ubuntu installation process , it showed those voulme entries . (but it had at max 4) .
now i have got 750GB and i created these many volumes and it is causing issues :wah:

red dragon

Master troll
hi

regarding the partitions, what i did was shrink the C drive to 175GB (after defrag) and use the free space to create Logical Volumes of around 100GB and left the rest as raw for ubuntu. If i remember correctly , in my previous laptop, during ubuntu installation process , it showed those voulme entries . (but it had at max 4) .
now i have got 750GB and i created these many volumes and it is causing issues :wah:

Aren`t you supposed to create a primary partition instead of a logical volume for Ubuntu?
I am not 100% sure as I have not used windows for a long time now.
You have 2 primary partitions now,take back up and use gparted live cd (instead of win 7 disc management).
BTW I hope you have windows on the primary partition(and not on the extended one)

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Logical partitions are fine. Although placing C:\ and / in the starting part is recommended.
Make the following partitons for Ubuntu
/ 10GB ext3 (root, Ubuntu goes here)
/home 10GB ext3 (My Docs for Linux)
swap A little more than total RAM swap (Pagefile)
Common partition for data (NTFS or FAT32)

vishu22

Broken In
Re run. it should be 6.9. A little overclock and it will reach 7.0/7.1

Overclocked my GPU [825/900} using Saphire Trixx .... just a piece of cake ... now my WEI is 7.4 7.6 (8GB Ram) 7.0 7.0 5.9

how to create xtra drives in windows .....without making the whole partition dynamic ???

anish6121

1. I have the same exact issue, try taking a few pics in sunlight and see what happens. It seems ridiculous but the web cam seems to be usable only in sunlight.

2.it's a driver issue, I had that when i did a clean install; nothing major though.
Bluetooth must work fine, try right click and enable/switch on bluetooth icon;

3.Amnesia works fine in 'fixed mode' and on 'Dedicated Gpu'. Probably you are having a driver issue(i had a lot of problem with games on 11.8 & 11.9). Try the new 11.10 drivers.

thanks man
the cam works in sunlight but its useless inside the house.so thats ridiculous!!

BUT i have the same bluetooth problem. i cant find the bluetooth icon in system tray any more. could u please tell me step by step how to enable btooth and transfer files from my cellphone to laptop.PLZ PLZ reply soon.

red dragon

Master troll
@vishu,You can not just create extra drives:grin:
Did you mean new partition?

i cant find the bluetooth icon in system tray any more. could u please tell me step by step how to enable btooth and transfer files from my cellphone to laptop.PLZ PLZ reply soon.

Use the brilliant search function of Windows7,write bluetooth and hit enter.
I hope you know where to look for the search icon and enter key.

amirtaraj

Broken In

how to create xtra drives in windows .....without making the whole partition dynamic ???

Try this one easy and simple EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

BUT i have the same bluetooth problem. i cant find the bluetooth icon in system tray any more. could u please tell me step by step how to enable btooth and transfer files from my cellphone to laptop.PLZ PLZ reply soon.

Search it in Windows Start Search, If not found go to Computer>C: Drive>Program Files (x86)>(Type in Bluetooth in search column)

rajasekhar911

Broken In
Hi guys ,

thanks for the info on partitions , logical volumes etc. etc. :grin:

but i still can't get ubuntu find my partitions(log. volumes) properly .
windows disk management, easeus partition master and partition manager 10 all shows the disk entries in the same way .
i deleted all my drives (i mean D: , E: etc) . even RECOVERY . all the above 3 apps show the disk partitions as follows .
SYSTEM (NTFS) 199Mb
C: (NTFS) 175Gb
HP_TOOLS (FAT32) 103Mb
Free / Unallocated 523gb

but during ubuntu installation , it shows sda1 as 188Gb and sda2 as some 500Gb . if it was showing 175 Gb properly, i could have gone ahead with partitioning . i don't want to remove my windows installation .
besides , i have got movies (about 100Gb :grin: ) on C: drive . (i cant move it out. my external 1TB is full . :sad: )

anyone know how to create partition using partition manager? i booted using PM10 , but when i select 500Gb free space, it does not show any option to create a partition .

I guess i will have to download windows 7 home pre and start from scratch
:sad:

thanks for the help guys..

Top Bottom