Ambassador of Buzz
Apologies for the long post...
How good is the touchpad of this laptop?
Is there a 9-cell battery available for this laptop?
Does the Windows 7 Key work with the retail version DVD?
The Big Question: HP or not to HP?
I love the specs of this laptop, it is precisely what I was looking for but these issues haunt me whenever I linger close to an HP laptop. Should I not worry about these and go ahead trusting HP to give good quality?
Some of the historical problems with HP laptops (faced by at least 2 owners in the previous 3 years):
- Display problems including failed connectors and dead pixels (in a year or two)
- Very annoying touchpads and broken buttons
- Batteries die quite quickly (within a year most didn't last longer than 10 mins) - heavy usage is to blame but problem significantly less with Dells.
- Bad,very bad customer service, takes them a week to inspect the laptop if you have any issue.
So, I am quite reluctant to buy HP. I use an HP Compaq and it has similar issues especially bothered by the display thing.
A different path?
I was looking for 7200rpm HDD, dual band wireless n (300Mbps), Backlit keyboard, 1080p display and Nvidia Graphics for CUDA (and also durability, to last 3-5 years) in addition to the specs. Is there any other laptop with the above (other than XPS 15)? Looking for ASUS, Sony or others (lenovo, Acer, Samsung if they are reliable).
Dust, Heat and Service
And as far as I know to keep out the dust, (preferably, open up the covers and the area covering the fan) use a blower at the fan vent. The service guys will probably take a week to do the same. Over the years I have learnt to repair my own laptop using the service manual and it is quite easy if you follow it right. Only with my Compaq I had to do it with the laptop still being in warranty (Courtesy: HP Service)
I will try to answer you ques...
1. The touchpad of this laptop is great, its really large and comfortable to work with even when laptop is used held close to u.
2. No there no customization options here, dell is the best to provide such options though the upgrades are unnecessarily pricey, i mean Rs3800 extra for a 4GB DDR3 RAM where as i can get it for Rs2500 !!!
3. Yah the provided key works with with both 32bit and 64bit ver of win 7 home premium (retail)... See previous posts!
4. No heating issues... Read previous posts...
5. Its been 20 days since i bought it, no display or touch pad or keyboard issues yet, and 3 of my friends have HP laptops, one has DV6, one compaq other i dont know, none of them have had any such issues yet, but they all take damn good care of there laptops so maybe that is the reason...
6. Use the laptop battery properly and it can last for 2 years without any problems... Read my previous posts on how i use it...
7. Cant comment on the service as it usually depends on the city, service here is pretty decent if not the best. But if you want the best service go for Dell...
8. You wont get the config you mentioned in a laptop unless you customize it and the price will surely be 60K+
9. HP provides free meintainance for upto 1 year which includes proper clean up as well... I have never had any experience regarding this so wont comment...
There... Hope i helped...