the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

WhizKins

Right off the assembly line
Yes, bios update didn't make any difference for me. I'll uninstall the proprietary drivers and try open-source drivers once again when I can afford some downtime. I'll post my findings.
From the AMD website I got this:
AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics technology requires either an AMD “A” series APU or an Intel processor, plus an AMD Radeon™ discrete graphics configuration and is available on Windows® 7 Professional, Windows® 7 Ultimate, Windows® 7 Home Premium, and/or Windows® 7 Home Basic OS. Linux OS supports manual switching which requires restart of X-Server to switch between graphics solutions. With AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics technology, full enablement of all discrete graphics video and display features may not be supported on all systems (e.g. OpenGL applications will run on the integrated GPU or the APU as the case may be). Always check with your system manufacturer for specific mode capabilities and supported technologies.

Another thing, did you change the mode to Fixed in the bios? I read somewhere that it solved some people's problems regarding switching between the cards. Please let us know if you have any progress on this. I've been planning to buy this laptop for a while now and it's getting delayed due to these issues that keep popping up. I'm planning to buy this next week (can't delay any more than that).

crazyfreak316

Broken In
From the AMD website I got this:

Another thing, did you change the mode to Fixed in the bios? I read somewhere that it solved some people's problems regarding switching between the cards. Please let us know if you have any progress on this. I've been planning to buy this laptop for a while now and it's getting delayed due to these issues that keep popping up. I'm planning to buy this next week (can't delay any more than that).

The OpenGL issue has been fixed in windows. I'm talking about Linux here which is causing issues. You can't switch cards in Linux.

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
Hey can any1 switch graphics in FIXED MODE? i mean switch to intel graphics in control center while FIXED MODE is selected from BIOS?? its not wroking for me. in fixed mode only AMD graphics is being used, even on battry which is the main concern. i dont want to restart everytime n change biso setting if i m running laptop on battery

sd.dreamweaver

Hii guys i just stopped to say that i am now the proud owner of HP Pavilion dv6 6121tx. :grin::grin:
I also wanted to buy Belkin cooling pad but the dealer didn't have it in stock So guys do you think i should play games on it or should i wait for a cooling pad ??
I know the software to measure FPS ie. Fraps but I am not sure about the reliable Software to measure Heat.

Guys for how much time continuously should I play games on my laptop ???

Please suggest me.
BY THE WAY I BOUGHT IT FOR INR 54,900 with USB mouse (cheap one) and Odyssey Studio PRO headfones.

house?

Broken In
@sd.dreamweaver: Don't buy the belkin cooling pad if you want some serious gaming...ive bought the coolermaster notepal x2(flipkart.com)( U2 has some angle issues), works like charm...temperatures are well below 60-70 range(Speed fan), as far as i understand below 60 degree is cool enough, i game about 4-5 hours continously...:D :grin:, the pad blows air into the laptop from below and looks awesome

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
i unistalled n reintalled CCC n video driver, so now its workin. it was not workin only after the recent CCC update of 11.8.... but now i m able to switch to intel graphics. previously on selecting intel graphics nothing used to happen.

also i want to know wat battery back u getting wen u choose intel graphics in FIEXED mode of BIOS, and IS IT DIFFERENT from dynamic mode selected in bios.?

Currently it is showing me 5 hr on 99% battery (didnt charge ful :p) for FIXED mode with intel graphics. Havnt tried with Dynamic mode yet. will it be any difference?

AhsanTheBest

Broken In
Has anyone tried crysis 2 directx 11 and hi-res texture package patch?
after installing them i get 16 to 24fps on ultra settings. Great Graphics!!!!!!!

Xaero92

Broken In
hey guys..need help...i used the black cloth that came covered over my 6121tx to wipe the sides of my screen off dust...bt it seems due to that some scratches hav occured near the webcam area which are visible only when u see it under light from the sides...they are slight so can they be cleaned by a laptop cleaner...

house?

Broken In
crysis gives me a black screen error(audio but no video and green cursor) any fixes ? anyone has tried metro 2033? currently playing dead space 2, would recommend it to anyone...scary ****, couldn't play more than 5mins for the first time...

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
crysis gives me a black screen error(audio but no video and green cursor) any fixes ? anyone has tried metro 2033? currently playing dead space 2, would recommend it to anyone...scary ****, couldn't play more than 5mins for the first time...
google said:
Go into your crysis2 folder and

Add this to your system.cfg in your game folder.
g_skipIntro= 1

Lots of people seem to be having this problem. Check the steam & EA forums.

WhizKins

So, if you update the BIOS everything works 100% (At least with Windows)?
And can some more people please try out Linux and let us know if they're having issues like crazyfreak316 is having.

dreamweaver.sd

Guys I bought this laptop a few days ago.
I am experiencing mainly heating problems
(1) Even if the computer is running in coolest mode in coolsense then also temperature reaches 82 c very easily when i am gaming and further it even reaches 91 if i don`t close my game.
Currently i am playing Assassin's Creed 2.

I am sitting i an non-ac room but its quite cold to turn on the ac. It's still raining and therefore temperature remains moderate.

I am still not using cooling pad because i still haven't got the Belkin cooling pad.

I am keeping a book beneath my laptop to let air flow but i don't think its making any difference.

I have read previously in this forum to do something with turbo boost but i don't know exactly of what to do and how as this is my first ever notebook.

I use RealTemp to measure temperatures so can assure that it is accurate.

In real temp the maximum temperature reaches very high temperatures and remains steady.

Temperature fall within a minute or two when i turn off my game.

Is it a hardware fault ? What shall be the ideal temperature for my laptop ?

guys i have read in this forums previously that some fellow members get temperature of 65-75 steady ??

Please guys solve my doubts

saddy

Broken In
Add me to the league of 6121tx owners..just bought it 2 days ago...haven't tried any games on it yet...how do i check the BIOS and how 2 switch while gaming to high performance mode..does it do automatically. and i m hearing a lot about it BIOS update .how do i do that ? are cooling pad necessary for it ?.
Pik of it below
*img534.imageshack.us/img534/2695/photo0200c.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
How to Configure ATI Mobility Radeon Switchable Graphics - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR BIOS
1. Download the latest BIOS update from HP. It is F.1A. The date associated with the download is 7/22/11
2. Run the BIOS update. Do not turn off your computer during the update and make sure your laptop is plugged in! Let the computer reboot itself into Windows after you complete the update.
3. Enable manual switching. This is done in the BIOS menu. You can enter this by hitting ESC as the computer starts before the Windows startup animation.
4. Find the Switchable graphics setting. I forget which tab it is in. You need to change it from Dynamic to Fixed.
5. Reboot into Windows. Fire up Catalyst Control Center.
6. In the Switchable graphics section, you can now pick between the Intel 3000 HD and the Radeon 6770m manually. This is what we want. You should run on the 3000HD when you are not gaming or doing GPU intensive tasks. You should know what these are.

Top Bottom