the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
has anyonr tried ubuntu? does switching work on ubuntu?
The only answer to this would be trying Ubuntu out. I do remember reading on Phoronix that AMD has incorporated support for Dynamic Switching in Catalyst for Linux. Don't know how it works though.

astro

Broken In
1) Never used a Mac webcam
2) No. Keep coolsense on.
3) Its always quite, except on 100% load. 7200rpm will be louder.

Thanks...I am still a bit confused on whether to get the 6121tx or the Dell XPS 15 which has similar features and more or less the same price point (with corporate discount)

For me the webcam clarity is significant as I do a lot of online video chat. Plus I would need a system that will help me multitask effectively without getting too hot and noisy..

Also for audio, Dell XPS wins hands down I think...

Has anyone worked on the Lenovo Y570 ? Has very similar config..

Astro

aniket.cain

Padawan
Thanks...I am still a bit confused on whether to get the 6121tx or the Dell XPS 15 which has similar features and more or less the same price point (with corporate discount)

For me the webcam clarity is significant as I do a lot of online video chat. Plus I would need a system that will help me multitask effectively without getting too hot and noisy..

Also for audio, Dell XPS wins hands down I think...

Has anyone worked on the Lenovo Y570 ? Has very similar config..

Astro

If your primary requirement is not gaming, and if you are getting Dell XPS 15 at the same price, you should go for the Dell.

rider

as Kratos
Q1) Is 6121tx openGL problem completely solved or not?
Q2) Is 6121tx switable graphic problem completely solved or not?
Q3) What is the max temp of XPS 15 (540M 2GB) and dv6121tx while playing Crysis 2 in full performance mode?

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Get a HP 6140 at 48-49 and add a 2MP webcam. Does not get hot while not gaming.
Both multi tasking issue and webcam clarity issue solved. And the total cost will be lower than Dell XPS 15 / HP 6121.

sumit269

Broken In
i was plannin to buy z570 (i5 with 750gb hdd) available at 44k.. but then on some googling.. i came across these issues.. on the LENOVO forum..

1. TouchPad issue
Very important issue since it is regarding the touchpad

2.Power charging and headphones issue
important coz im going to listen to a lot of music..

Is this a common issue? can the z570 users shed some light on this?

I had found out about these issues with the z570.. so decided against it..

And IMO, the higher the resolution of the webcam, the more the lag during video calls and other stuff for which you use the cam. the cam on 6140tx/6121tx is good enough and you will have all your other issues solved as well

xachin

Right off the assembly line
The OpenGL and Switchable Graphics issue has been completely fixed now. But I would definitely recommend anyone thinking to buy this laptop, to go out and try this laptop before buying. And by try I mean all possible graphical use cases, that is pics, movies and image editing. The color quality of the display is real bad, its not a True color 24-bit display rather 18-bit... And mostly you will notice this when looking at color gradients.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Q1) Is 6121tx openGL problem completely solved or not?
Q2) Is 6121tx switable graphic problem completely solved or not?
Q3) What is the max temp of XPS 15 (540M 2GB) and dv6121tx while playing Crysis 2 in full performance mode?

1 & 2) Yes.

sarathsnair

Journeyman
i hav a 6121tx. but when i am playng games like nfs carbon, fifa 08 etc using internal graphics it wil be on low resolution. i cant play the game in fulscreen. how can i play these games in fulscreen. ?

I want to know that whether the i7 2630qm processor on hp 6121tx is locked or not. i.e. to say how can I know when it goes to turbo-boost mode i.e. upto 2.9 GHz. from base 2.00 Ghz as when I was playing HALO 2 there was a message saying " your processor is set to low it can be upgraded etc".

please reply

ss max

Broken In
Comparing dell xps15 and 6121tx which will be more reliable as there are many who say that the quality of motherboard in hp is inferior also is there any configuration in sony which matches those above.

rider

as Kratos
how is the screen quality of DV6-6120TX in comparison to dell xps 15 1080p?
and overall DV6-6120TX is good to buy or not its 53.5k?
since HD6490 1Gb DDR5 is like GT 525M 1GB DDR3 of dell xps 15

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
how is the screen quality of DV6-6120TX in comparison to dell xps 15 1080p?
and overall DV6-6120TX is good to buy or not its 53.5k?
since HD6490 1Gb DDR5 is like GT 525M 1GB DDR3 of dell xps 15

Dell 1080p > HP 1080p
And forget gaming for more than a year on those two graphic cards.

Comparing dell xps15 and 6121tx which will be more reliable as there are many who say that the quality of motherboard in hp is inferior also is there any configuration in sony which matches those above.

Many people opened up their HP and Dell laptops to compare the quality of motherboards? :razz:

i hav a 6121tx. but when i am playng games like nfs carbon, fifa 08 etc using internal graphics it wil be on low resolution. i cant play the game in fulscreen. how can i play these games in fulscreen. ?

Yeah happens on my laptop too. Never found a solution.

Why aren't you using th 6770M?

sarathsnair

Journeyman
Yeah happens on my laptop too. Never found a solution.

Why aren't you using th 6770M?

why the need of 6770m for this simple games that can handle by the intel gpu ?
also the battery backup decreases as fast

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
why the need of 6770m for this simple games that can handle by the intel gpu ?
also the battery backup decreases as fast

Its because the game thinks it cannot be handled by the Intel GPU and therefore runs at lowersettings. there might be a settings file in the installation folder which you can tweak. but i think, when the game starts again, it "corrects" itself..

kabir mahlotra

hi all a very important issue come to my notice.
i manage to compare the display of these dv6- series 6006tu,6119tx,6170tx,6121tx,
they all have same display 15.6" High-Definition LED HP Bright View Display 1366x768, i notice that some of these display were showing different colors from others despite all were at intel hd graphics .
to test this turn off your laptop have the display at normal view angle (at little over 90 degree the usual viewing angle) now turn it on & notice that whether display is black or blueish/pinkish black in the side & around hp logo that comes into the display, you can check till the window logo appear.i saw few of the model have blueish/pinkish black & some have complete black, can be said a little greyish black. but very very different from pinkish black.
{what i mean by blueish/pinkish black, is it was quiet different from the black it got mix color even when the dislay should be complete black there was some coloring}

if any one check this & tell his view. that will be good.
& then i tell you which are actually poor display among the two black or blueish/pinkish black. & i am sure some smart people will already know the answer. but tell your view.

thanks
kabir

hi all a very important issue come to my notice.
i manage to compare the display of these dv6- series 6006tu,6119tx,6170tx,6121tx,
they all have same display 15.6" High-Definition LED HP Bright View Display 1366x768, i notice that some of these display were showing different colors from others despite all were at intel hd graphics .
to test this turn off your laptop have the display at normal view angle (at little over 90 degree the usual viewing angle) now turn it on & notice that whether display is black or blueish/pinkish black in the side & around hp logo that comes into the display, you can check till the window logo appear.i saw few of the model have blueish/pinkish black & some have complete black, can be said a little greyish black. but very very different from pinkish black.
{what i mean by blueish/pinkish black, is it was quiet different from the black it got mix color even when the dislay should be complete black there was some coloring}

if any one check this & tell his view. that will be good.
& then i tell you which are actually poor display among the two black or blueish/pinkish black. & i am sure some smart people will already know the answer. but tell your view.

thanks
kabir

Yes I do have a kind of bluish patch in the bottom right corner & behind that we have the glowing hp logo...

makkags

hi all....

has anyone tried to install a fresh windos on 6017tx???
i tried but it is it is not showing any boot options during startup....
so please anyone can help me with this!

Top Bottom