the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
If you don't mind me asking,What is your backup by the way??And how was the experience with sony??Any failures or issues till date??

Calibration method-I first charge the laptop battery fully.Then I've created a new power profile named Calibration with all values set to never.I the remove ac source and let battery discharge on its own(without any apps or anything running in background).After the battery is fully discharged,I charge it again completely.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If you don't mind me asking,What is your backup by the way??And how was the experience with sony??Any failures or issues till date??

My current back up after exact 1 year 2 months usage is around ~3hrs (may be a lil more or less, and this on power saver mode with mild brightness), I guess, and the battery wear is 29%. Satisfaction wise, I'm quite satisfied except driver support from Sony's side. Hardly any update. (JFYI, only OEM drivers work in Sony, not hardware vendor). Only problem I encountered is ODD going kaput without being used. (I just used it ONCE). Never mind, I have 3 yrs warranty, I will get it replaced whenever I feel the need for it. Rest no issues. One more shocking thing which I'm yet to figure out is washed out colors which happens either on power saver mode or when in battery. Though it happens not so frequent and for a very small time (for seconds) but still it leaves me thinking. And this never happened on stock OS.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Great.......
Yeah I've often seen on AMD sites written that |"these drivers will not work on SOny and toshiba laptops"|....Didnt understand it back then.
Even my friend having hp laptop suffered this ODD issue.He had never ever used it.I guess it needs to be used often.
For your battery I may suggest two things-Calibrate it as recommended by your manufacturer,and secondly,while playing a heavy game,remove your charger for about 2 min,and then reconnect it.The second method though is my own Jugaad,and it worked wonders on my friends vaio,who had a battery wear level of ~37%.It fell down to 12%,and his backup increased also.I also dont recommend playing heavy games on battery at all,because I've seen it increases battery wear a lot.

rider

as Kratos
Yeah,but seeing a pattern,I can atleast guess that low usage is also one of the reason.

Oh! fish I have my laptop from 13 months and battery ware is raised upto 54%. It only lasts maximum upto one hour 20 minutes. I still can't understand how to calibrate properly. I sometimes use the laptop in battery and not let the battery finished till 12% and charge it till 100%. Most of time it remained plugged I rarely turn off the laptop.

*img405.imageshack.us/img405/276/batteryk.jpg

What should I do? Buy another battery.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
@ Rider

Your battery is seriously weak.I guess,this will last another 6 months.Some of my recommendations:-

1.Check battery's terminal voltage,with charger not connected in hardware monitor,It should be around 12.4-12.5V...If not,then try not using your laptop on battery.My father's Old Vaio had a strange motherboard failure,which the technician told was due to low voltage supply from a weak battery.I don't know about the extent of truth in his claim,but better don't take a risk.

2.No offence to you,but I see some seriously bad battery usage habits from your end.56% wear on a 13 months old battery is strange.For the record,My battery age is 614 days(as against 600 days for your battery),and still has only 4% wear.Some of the habits which you should avoid are using Radeon graphics when on battery,avoid using High performance mode or playing heavy games for long durations on laptop.Please don't mind my comment,its in a good humour,and not to offend you.

3.Calibrate-*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00821536&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en
folllow the instructions given above.If you find that difficult,you may use automatic calibration in HP diagnostics options when you press F2 post boot screen.

Additionally,here's another one of my JUGAAD techniques.
1.Open a heavy game on Radeon card when plugged in.
2.Open hardware monitor screen where it shows battery wear.
3.While playing,remove charger for a few minutes(5 min max).
4.Then again plug in the charger and note whether the wear level has gone down or has increases.Surely let me know about this,then I'll let you know about the further proceedings.If the wear falls,then there's hope and a proper calibration will solve your issue.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I've installed 12.10.........12.11 beta used to show BSOD after restart....If 12.10 doesn't work for you,you may also try 12.6.Thats the most stable one i've seen till date.

rider

as Kratos
@ Rider

Your battery is seriously weak.I guess,this will last another 6 months.Some of my recommendations:-

1.Check battery's terminal voltage,with charger not connected in hardware monitor,It should be around 12.4-12.5V...If not,then try not using your laptop on battery.My father's Old Vaio had a strange motherboard failure,which the technician told was due to low voltage supply from a weak battery.I don't know about the extent of truth in his claim,but better don't take a risk.

2.No offence to you,but I see some seriously bad battery usage habits from your end.56% wear on a 13 months old battery is strange.For the record,My battery age is 614 days(as against 600 days for your battery),and still has only 4% wear.Some of the habits which you should avoid are using Radeon graphics when on battery,avoid using High performance mode or playing heavy games for long durations on laptop.Please don't mind my comment,its in a good humour,and not to offend you.

3.Calibrate-*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00821536&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en
folllow the instructions given above.If you find that difficult,you may use automatic calibration in HP diagnostics options when you press F2 post boot screen.

Additionally,here's another one of my JUGAAD techniques.
1.Open a heavy game on Radeon card when plugged in.
2.Open hardware monitor screen where it shows battery wear.
3.While playing,remove charger for a few minutes(5 min max).
4.Then again plug in the charger and note whether the wear level has gone down or has increases.Surely let me know about this,then I'll let you know about the further proceedings.If the wear falls,then there's hope and a proper calibration will solve your issue.

Thanks a lot buddy. I don't mind your jokes, go one. I know how poorly I took care of my laptop. No surprise. :)

Here is the pic of HW monitor when I connected it with power. I left laptop turn on overnight.

*img138.imageshack.us/img138/6015/battery1er.jpg

And this the picture of HW monitor on battery.

*img402.imageshack.us/img402/6429/battery2p.jpg

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Your battery is surely weak....Avoid using it on battery alone for sustained periods of time....And did you follow the procedure I mentioned under my JUGAAD techniques??Do try that out and callibrate properly after that...Do let me know if there's any improvement.

rider

as Kratos
Your battery is surely weak....Avoid using it on battery alone for sustained periods of time....And did you follow the procedure I mentioned under my JUGAAD techniques??Do try that out and callibrate properly after that...Do let me know if there's any improvement.

Here is the pic of HWmonitor by following your Jugaad technique.
*img685.imageshack.us/img685/8712/battery3.jpg

I played NFS Most Wanted 2012 The game was lagging and getting around 20 fps in battery, usually I get 25+ in high settings. Since I can see current voltage was 10.839 (min) at that time.

Done the HP diagnose by pressing F2 on boot. It shows memory and primary hard disk fine.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Looks like getting the battery changed is the only way out for you...If you work with laptop kept at a place for most times,I suggest keeping the battery for the time being...and keeping your charger plugged in every time.
BTW,the cost of a new battery is pretty steep-Rs.5468.
HP MU06 6 Cell 6 Cell Battery - HP: Flipkart.com

You have another option,but this is a croocked man's technique.Get a new bill from your dealer.You may get it free if he's known to you,if not then maxm you'll have to pay the vat(Rs.2500) and you get a new bill with a new date in place.With this you get additional warranty,and then replace what things are damaged...!!!:-D :twisted: AS SAID IN BOL BACHHAN-EVERY PENNY DISCOUNTS!!!

In HP diagnostics,you also get a calibration option,did you calibrate using that option??

rider

as Kratos
Looks like getting the battery changed is the only way out for you...If you work with laptop kept at a place for most times,I suggest keeping the battery for the time being...and keeping your charger plugged in every time.
BTW,the cost of a new battery is pretty steep-Rs.5468.
HP MU06 6 Cell 6 Cell Battery - HP: Flipkart.com

You have another option,but this is a croocked man's technique.Get a new bill from your dealer.You may get it free if he's known to you,if not then maxm you'll have to pay the vat(Rs.2500) and you get a new bill with a new date in place.With this you get additional warranty,and then replace what things are damaged...!!!:-D :twisted: AS SAID IN BOL BACHHAN-EVERY PENNY DISCOUNTS!!!

In HP diagnostics,you also get a calibration option,did you calibrate using that option??

The price of original hp battery is pretty high. Do you know some battery from some alternative brand that should be cheap yet reliable. Your crooked technique might work but I don't think it will work for me as I purchased from hp re seller nehru place, new delhi. He is the main distributor and supplies laptops and PCs to north regions. In HP diagnostics I just clicked F2 and both these checkups starts automatically there was no option to calibrate.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Bro I know of many batteries which are cheap,and will do the work.BUT,they aren't reliable..Well not always..You may get an aftermarket battery for about 2500,but you'll never know when you battery'll conk off,or worse,even blast.I had recently read in a newspaper where a person had used a 3rd party battery and the laptop exploded while charging.However,I will check my resources,and if I find any such reliable and cheap alternative,I'll definitely let you know.Another issue is the size of battery bay,they are never the same,hence its diggicult to source a reliable aftermarket one. That's not the issue with the charger,and hence,aftermarket ones can be used.
I personally don't advise this;I believe the safety of you and your device is much more important than saving a few grands.
ALternatively,you may retain the existing battery,so that it may provide some backup,and rely completely on AC power.But in that case,your mobility will be hampered.

When I press F2 after restart,I get almost 10 options where battery is also an option,when I select that,calibration option comes.

rider

as Kratos
Bro I know of many batteries which are cheap,and will do the work.BUT,they aren't reliable..Well not always..You may get an aftermarket battery for about 2500,but you'll never know when you battery'll conk off,or worse,even blast.I had recently read in a newspaper where a person had used a 3rd party battery and the laptop exploded while charging.However,I will check my resources,and if I find any such reliable and cheap alternative,I'll definitely let you know.Another issue is the size of battery bay,they are never the same,hence its diggicult to source a reliable aftermarket one. That's not the issue with the charger,and hence,aftermarket ones can be used.
I personally don't advise this;I believe the safety of you and your device is much more important than saving a few grands.
ALternatively,you may retain the existing battery,so that it may provide some backup,and rely completely on AC power.But in that case,your mobility will be hampered.

When I press F2 after restart,I get almost 10 options where battery is also an option,when I select that,calibration option comes.

When I press F2 there were only 4 options in which there was none for battery. It has BIOS version F.1B

vgr

Broken In
dude it's cuz the temperature in Delhi hit 5 degrees!
There's nothing wrong with ur laptop... just game on :D
lucky u!

@ Gourav
As for your warranty related issue,try mailing you entire issue at rahamatulla.s-k@hp.com ......The contact person is S K Rahamatulla,Chief Customer Relations manager HP India. My fight with HP Ranchi services would have resulted in a court case,but I'm glad that he intervened and sorted out all issues to my fullest satisfaction.

@ ALL
I need a suggestion from you guys,is it harmful to use laptop at very low temperatures??The minimum temp at my city is now anywhere between 4-10 degrees.
For the past one and the half year of ownership,I've never seen the temperature of processor going less than 35 degrees,but yesterday I noticed the lowest was at 19degrees.I started taking regular readings from then.
Will that affect my laptop??
I'm attaching a snapshot below.Have a look at the processor and hard-disk temperatures.The snapshot was taken @12 noon,and the laptop was used continuously for the last 12 hours,with a cooling pad,with a 4 hour far cry3 gaming session in between.Note:-I switch the graphics card to intel hd after gaming,so its showing the last recorded reading.

*img707.imageshack.us/img707/5035/64584874.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

a_k

Broken In
@ALL
Has any one installed adobe reader in HP 2202TX windows 8 based laptop. In my case once i click on the adobe executable nothing happens , task manager shows the adobe executable in running stage. Also not all softwares which work fine in windows 7 works in windows 8. Has any one faced the same issue. Also my Sandisk pendrive is not getting detected in my lappy , it gets detected on my desktop running on win7 HB. Transcend based PD gets detected both on my lappy running on windows 8 & desktop running on windows 8. I see too many software & driver issues relating to windows 8 .

ron_devon

Broken In
I have the dv6-6121tx, now out of warranty
I'm facing the common 90B fan error on startup and another problem is that the fan noise in my laptop is more when integrated graphics are on. The fan noise comparatively reduces when using the GPU. And to my disgust the noise begins right from the time I start my laptop, even if its hours later I'm using it.
How is this explained and is there any way to get around this problem at my home or should I tend to a HP service? In the BIOS settings I have the Fan Always ON option turned off.

And what is the actual price of a genuine HP dv6 6-cell battery replacement?

Top Bottom