The Galaxy S thread!

OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Re: Samsung Galaxy S <-Underclocked?

Memory:
Total 326MB
That's the usable memory. The rest is reserved for the OS.
Processor:

ARM V 7 Processor rev 2 (v71) 1000mhz (once saw 800 mhz) :?
Yes. The processor can scale from 100 MHz to 1000 MHz.. That's to conserve power when idle. Perfectly normal :)
Also how do i close the apps??
Use the back button always to exit apps, and not the home button. Rest, you don't need to close apps, Android handles that automagically. If you root (i'm not suggesting that you do) you can use something like AutoKiller to tweak the autokill behavior of Android. DO NOT use any task managers, as they do more harm than good!
PS: I will post a detailed review asap.
Please do! Waiting :)

BTW, its better to keep such discussion in the Galaxy S thread. I am merging your thread there.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Ok, the folks at modaco have been working on a lag fix for the phone. This guy here: UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem - Android @ MoDaCo has done an awesome job!

Now Galaxy S with 2.1 is faster than Nexus One with 2.2!

*a.imageshack.us/img28/4573/screenshotvcx.png

hahahari

In the zone
ow ...thnx m8 ... i cannot imagine how fast GS will be with froyo!

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Btw how i disable the phone from using the edge/3g network ... i havent activated my plans yet so is becomes a lil expensive right now since it automatically uses the edge network.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

^^ Download HiAPN from market, then under settings -> method choose Fake APN.. Then add the on/off widget to the homescreen.. Other apps like APNDroid do not work well.. APNDroid cannot switch on the APN.. You have to restart to use GPRS again..

OP
kalpik

kalpik

aweosme! ... btw mind posting the list of aps u use???
kalpik's Apps on the phone

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Of course it can; I do it every single day. But will try HiAPN too.
Probably your phone doesn't have this issue: Issue 33 - apndroid - doesn't switch back on properly on Nexus One - Project Hosting on Google Code

Galaxy S with APNDroid has the same issue.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
aweosme! ... btw mind posting the list of aps u use???

check these:

Alarm Clock Plus V2 (with the math setting on, this alarm asks simple math questions like 42+36 = ? . alarm can be stopped only when you answer the question right. perfect way to wake you up.)

Android Community : browse android community forum

RockPlayer: all format video player

FeedSquares : RSS

FourSquare : find nearby locations and update your current location

Handcent SMS: works better than other SMS clients

Linpack : benchmarking

Yahoo Mail, Messenger : official apps

Meebo IM: support all major IMs

MyBackup: backup and restore phone data (SMS, apps, contacts etc)

NetCounter: Monitor internet usage

OpenSudoku

Robo Defense : interesting game

Skyfire : superb web browser with multitouch support

Swift : twitter app

Task Manager : kill unwanted tasks

Wordpress

XDA community app

TextPlus : text editor

hahahari

In the zone
Thnx desi, btw how I usually download moview in the normal 700 mb or 1.4 gbformat. How do U view that in GS??? wat converter works best?

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

also pls tell me how to get the battery through power cycles so it lasts longer ...

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Thnx desi, btw how I usually download moview in the normal 700 mb or 1.4 gbformat. How do U view that in GS??? wat converter works best?
You don't need to do anything.. Just drop it in, and it will work :)

also pls tell me how to get the battery through power cycles so it lasts longer ...
Just use it normally, and for the first few cycles, charge full and then let it drain to minimum, then charge to full again..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

turn off haptic feedback. it's not necessary.
use the power control widget. turn on/off wifi/gps/sync/backlight as per your needs
drain the battery completely once in a month.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Galaxy S with APNDroid has the same issue.

Sorry! My bad; guess you are right. I've faced this problem whenever I was on any Eclair ROM. You won't face issues as long as you are toggling GPRS on/off; the issue arises when you switch off GPRS to access wifi. Once you access wifi; you wont be able to turn on mobile data connection again unless you restart. Its not apndrid problem; I reckon HIAPN will also have same issues.

1.6 & 2.2 don't have this issue. It was 2.1 issue which was never addressed by Google.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Sorry! My bad; guess you are right. I've faced this problem whenever I was on any Eclair ROM. You won't face issues as long as you are toggling GPRS on/off; the issue arises when you switch off GPRS to access wifi. Once you access wifi; you wont be able to turn on mobile data connection again unless you restart. Its not apndrid problem; I reckon HIAPN will also have same issues.

1.6 & 2.2 don't have this issue. It was 2.1 issue which was never addressed by Google.
No it doesn't! That's cause APNDroid renames existing APNs to disable them, but HIAPN does not do that! It creates a fake APN and switches to and fro to enable and disable GPRS.. Its working fine for me so far, and its the ONLY thing that has worked for me! :)

dtrockii

Right off the assembly line
Is there a way to find out the number of MBs that I have downloaded so far in my Galaxy S. I am using vodafone Mobile connect and in my plan the free usage is 500 MB. want to keep track..
Please help.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Is there a way to find out the number of MBs that I have downloaded so far in my Galaxy S. I am using vodafone Mobile connect and in my plan the free usage is 500 MB. want to keep track..
Please help.

Netcounter.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

No it doesn't! That's cause APNDroid renames existing APNs to disable them, but HIAPN does not do that! It creates a fake APN and switches to and fro to enable and disable GPRS.. Its working fine for me so far, and its the ONLY thing that has worked for me! :)

btw, sold off the second GS?

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Netcounter.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

btw, sold off the second GS?
Not sold yet.. Not trying tbh :p But if I have to sell it for less than 25k, I might as well keep it and give it to my dad/sis..

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
@ kalpik make me ur brother and give me the phone :D

btw is it possible that if i have an unfinished book and i dont want to carry it while flying so can i somehow transfer my paper novel to the reader in gs.

can it make book out of scanned pages or does it support pdf.

please sugest best scan settings that look good on the e book reader.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Woohoo!

See what a bit of modding can get ya! The phone is still running on Android 2.1 only :D

*img688.imageshack.us/img688/8607/snapshoti.png

Top Bottom