The Galaxy S thread!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
After months of whining, on Sunday (4th July), I finally bought the Galaxy S for 28k :)

The phone is awesome! So thin and light! The screen is to die for! As there are already sooo many reviews out there, I won't be doing one.. But if anyone has any questions regarding the phone, feel free to ask here :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hey. thanks for starting this.

are you able to connect Galaxy S in mass storage mode to windows 7 or linux pcs?

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Yes. Mass storage mode is absolutely fine! People are saying they arn't able to connect in Kies mode.. Some say you have to enable USB debugging for it to work. Anyway, I haven't tried that as I don't need Kies :p

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
and please do post your views too kalpik...I am sure you will post something different than other reviews :D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yes. Mass storage mode is absolutely fine! People are saying they arn't able to connect in Kies mode.. Some say you have to enable USB debugging for it to work. Anyway, I haven't tried that as I don't need Kies :p

yesterday went with a friend to get this phone.

first the display is legen... wait for it ...dary!

:)

here is the problem that we have.

connected the phone to ubuntu PC. and its not recognized and the storage is not seen on ubuntu.

connected the phone to win7 and it says drivers failed and the fail doesn't come up in 'mass storage' mode. When I open notification bar and click on 'usb connection', nothing happens. I don't get the menu i get in Legend (storage, sync, chargeonly etc).

any pointers?

OP
kalpik

kalpik

yesterday went with a friend to get this phone.

first the display is legen... wait for it ...dary!

:)

here is the problem that we have.

connected the phone to ubuntu PC. and its not recognized and the storage is not seen on ubuntu.

connected the phone to win7 and it says drivers failed and the fail doesn't come up in 'mass storage' mode. When I open notification bar and click on 'usb connection', nothing happens. I don't get the menu i get in Legend (storage, sync, chargeonly etc).

any pointers?
Go to settings -> about phone -> USB settings. Select Mass Storage there. Then once you connect phone, go to notification bar and select USB then click mount :)

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Dude at least post some screen shots! I am dying to have a look at it.
I'm lazy.. Google for the pics of the phone :p

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

does your set freeze ??
Minor lag is there, yes. But it's a firmware glitch and you can fix it by rooting. Also, Samsung is working on a firmware update to fix this. There are unofficial firmware available which resolve this issue.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

All in all, the only 2 minus points of this set are:

1. Minor lag: This is fixable and will be fixed.
2. Not a very good cam for still pics. But then, I come from N82, so I wasn't really expecting a better cam :p Video recording is again awesome!

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Finally ! Thank God! Now there shall be peace for some over phones in the IRC Channel :) .

That said wth I demand Screenshots as well! Post your phone apps screenshot and let us take a peak of your phone not some site's review or whatever. :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hey, where from u bought it?

Any special shop?
28K is cheap... discounts?

Its listed only in www.univercell.in and priced @30K....

OP
kalpik

kalpik

I bought it from "Range Tele Services", K-17, Lajpat Nagar 2. No discounts.. This was the price quoted to me upfront!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hmmmm.......

Here at Mumbai, I went to few shops last week, they told not yet launched.

28K+12.5% tax= 31500/- :-(

lucifer_is_back

Journeyman
Minor lag is there, yes. But it's a firmware glitch and you can fix it by rooting. Also, Samsung is working on a firmware update to fix this. There are unofficial firmware available which resolve this issue.
mine one just hangs
had same problem with my older jet

OP
kalpik

kalpik

The phone does not feel cheap AT ALL! Feels *very* solid in hand!

In another news, I just dropped my Galaxy S from chest height! Picked up the phone upside down, and it just slid out and BAM on the floor! I was literally in tears, but then I saw nothing happened to the phone! NOTHING! Not even a scratch *anywhere*! Heh.. Se here we have the very own drop test of the Galaxy S :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The phone does not feel cheap AT ALL! Feels *very* solid in hand!

In another news, I just dropped my Galaxy S from chest height! Picked up the phone upside down, and it just slid out and BAM on the floor! I was literally in tears, but then I saw nothing happened to the phone! NOTHING! Not even a scratch *anywhere*! Heh.. Se here we have the very own drop test of the Galaxy S :p

a small request. Can you drop it one more time and this time record a video and post here :)

OP
kalpik

kalpik

a small request. Can you drop it one more time and this time record a video and post here :)
LOL! Sure.. :p You first with your legend :p

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Finally ! Thank God! Now there shall be peace for some over phones in the IRC Channel :) .

That said wth I demand Screenshots as well! Post your phone apps screenshot and let us take a peak of your phone not some site's review or whatever. :)
Home Screen (LauncherPro):
*img37.imageshack.us/img37/1102/snapshotds.png

Apps:
*img4.imageshack.us/img4/3630/snapshotbt.png

Contacts:
*img806.imageshack.us/img806/578/snapshot.png

Recent Activities of Contact (integrated):
*img713.imageshack.us/img713/1459/snapshotj.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom