The Galaxy S thread!

Hrithan2020

In the zone
My suggestion: Install Doc's JPO 7.2.6 ROM.. Follow the instructions here (make 100% sure yo
u backup your /efs) [ROM] Doc Froyo BareBone_0.1 / ADJP5 v8.0.1 / XWJPA v7.6.2 / XXJPO v7.6.2 (21/11/10) - xda-developers

Kalpik, any particular reason why one shouldn't install the latest jp5 v 8.0.1? Any disadvantages over the 7.2.6 rom?

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Ok..I am hearing contradictory statements regarding the different firmwares . With some claiming better battery life in one, smoother in the other. The problem is I don't have net at the place I stay, I finally managed to get those firmwares plus all the required from a friend.

Now, if jp0 is better, I'll have to download it. Hope, bsnl gives net here soon.

After much deliberation, finally decided to try out jp5...works ok. Doesn't feel that fast, as my previous setup.

I'd like to apply the voodoo colour fix and also have the option of adjusting the brightness using notification bar. Can anyone guide me?

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Bad news!!!

Samsung has announced that any of them of his terminals Samsung Galaxy S will not be updated to Android 2.2 Froyo until 2011.

Read full article here: Bulletinblips: Samsung Galaxy S Will Not Be Updated To Android 2.2 Froyo Uuntil 2011

to be more precise why and how?
The rollout has started in Singapore and will hit the other Southeast Asian countries by the end of the year.
*asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/11/23/samsung-galaxy-s-froyo-update-rolls-out-in-asia/

Last edited:

noob

Cyborg Agent
Bad news!!!

Read full article here: Bulletinblips: Samsung Galaxy S Will Not Be Updated To Android 2.2 Froyo Uuntil 2011

to be more precise why and how?

Samsung Galaxy S Froyo update rolls out in Asia - Mobile Phones - Crave - CNET Asia

I confirmed via twitter that this week India is getting OS update. US will get Next year.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, my SGS got updated with FROYO 2 days back. But since the update I find the phone has become unstable.

Following are the issues I'm facing,

hanging.
switching off while on call.
if using headset for call, if pressed headset button for ending call, device hangs.
the media scanner starts abruptly and n number of times, system hangs.

Remedies?
My 2.1 was stable at least

abhijeet_ghosh

Journeyman
Hi Guys... I'm planning on buying Galaxy S in the next few days. I wanted the feedback of ppl using this fone.

How has been ur experience in using this fone?
Does the lack of flash make much difference?
Is the lag on this fone really that bad as some ppl make it out to be?
Is the GPS really buggy or is does it work properly?

I wont be modding or "rooting" the fone but will update it with the updates made officially available by Samsung. Would you still recommend me to buy this fone?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I'm back with another problem.

Whenever I connect my SGS in Kies mode, SGS shows "Media scanner running" and Kies does not detect my SGS.

Help! As I need to restore my contacts to mobile from PC.
(well I just did factory reset of my SGS)

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Hi Guys... I'm planning on buying Galaxy S in the next few days. I wanted the feedback of ppl using this fone.

How has been ur experience in using this fone?
Does the lack of flash make much difference?
Is the lag on this fone really that bad as some ppl make it out to be?
Is the GPS really buggy or is does it work properly?

I wont be modding or "rooting" the fone but will update it with the updates made officially available by Samsung. Would you still recommend me to buy this fone?

I am pretty satisfied with the phone, despite some major issues..
Lack of flash, I found to be a hindrance, only when recording videos at night?
(Camera capture at night with flash on tends to overcompensate in many cases, but for video recording at night, it can be of real help, for a closer distance, I feel).

That, plus maybe using it as a torchlight..In all other ways, flash doesn't make its presence felt.

I can't really comment on the lag,(have used the phone without any lagfix only for a couple of days, but a friend is using it w/o any)but yeah, in some instances, you will definitely notice a big lag...

If you are , for instance coming from a low-end phone (or the older Nokia phones, for that matter), you won't have any problem with it, I suppose.
However, if you have used ipod touch a lot , you may find it annoying at times.

For me, most of the times, the GPS is not able to lock in..(only accurate upto 33 feet), but it suffices for my purpose. I have even driven once using voice navigation, though there were some delays..

So, the GPS is still buggy to a certain extent, I suppose. (I haven't done a comparison with a phone whose GPS is good. It is entirely possible that the other phone might have also struggled in the area I was doing the navigation in).

If you are not going to mod / root the device (which by the way, is really easy, and almost fool/brick proof), I wouldn't particularly recommend this device, (though I should say that, there are quite a few guys in the forums, who are running it in stock froyo without applying any lag fix without any problems) unless you find its multimedia capabilities of very high use to you.

(Do note that you can't use your Galaxy S as your only PMP extensively, because the battery life is pathetic.. Then again, that is the case with all super-smartphones)....

In short, wait if you can . Else, wait for more views regarding your questions :grin:

abhidev

Human Spambot
i read the news regarding a new update for android OS to 2.3...its gonna be for Nexus one...not sure if it will be available for all.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
i read the news regarding a new update for android OS to 2.3...its gonna be for Nexus one...not sure if it will be available for all.
Will be available for Galaxy S soon.. Nexus S is exactly the same hardware as Galaxy S!

Top Bottom