The 'DONATE TO DIGIT' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amol48

Searching...
Well lately Digit seems to try EVERYTHING to get a click or two from it's visitors and earn some money. Latest in the addition I have seen is ADs after the first post and last post. (It's a mod in vB)

The site already has few dozens of ADs on every page and adding this only seems how poor these people should have been! I now have to make my way for that readable piece of text that-is-not-AD here!

So come and please help Digit come out of the crisis. Donate these poor chaps a few bucks!

p_dude

Broken In
So come and please help Digit come out of the crisis. Donate these poor chaps a few bucks!
sure why not if these guys at least put some effort to fix the forum and the magazine

i was not even able buy digit in my home town for past few months and when i asked the shopkeeper he replied there are no agent available for my place and i was buying digit for since 2001

let them fix all the mess then I'll see about donating some money...

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
noble initiative :grin:

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Yeah...these people keep on adding more & more advt.... :( But will Raabo & all listen, no. They dont care for this forum.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yes, we read. post more, post more strongly, but be polite. Give details on why it spoils the experience, and mebbe there can be enough strong points for the issue to be taken up.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
yes, we read. post more, post more strongly, but be polite. Give details on why it spoils the experience, and mebbe there can be enough strong points for the issue to be taken up.

Oh, "why it spoils the experience"?
Seriously r u guys deaf or something?
In forum improvement thread, people have posted it so many times...even Raaboo visited that thread once (and the outcome was banning a "few" members)

Do you know how long does it take to open the site in IE? My office browser just takes forever to load it.
Did, u read that newbie's post who told how annoying our site looks? (check, Intro thrd)
Previously the site could be tweaked with greasemonkey scripts/diff. extensions, now I don't know what u've done, it again shrunk.

Ads, well, ads would be there, u need them. But don't make them annoying.
Remove it for "registered members" (already suggested by some member)
Remove flash based ads.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Previously the site could be tweaked with greasemonkey scripts/diff. extensions, now I don't know what u've done, it again shrunk.

Nobody put this on the extension thread or I'd have posted a new version (i thot no one had problem with it :D), the shrunk thing is simple to handle. I will post the new verison tomorrow. :razz:

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
how it spoils experience? the forum looks awful on my 17th inch monitor. Awful, trust me. I come here to read and not to click. I bet none of us clicks. I mean, make the damn ads visible for unregistered members. None of us is going to click the ads. I will even type the damn url of 'your' adsense ads to visit the site but NEVER click an ad here because its pissing off.

It ruins the whole damn experience. When I am in the photography thread, I don't want to know what Manmohan Singh is doing, I don't want to visit your partner site, I don't want to how to fking renew my subscription. I JUST WANT TO SEE PHOTOS CLICKED BY FORUM MEMBERS. Magazine full of ads, huh fine, I stopped buying it but now forum too. Instead of fixing the forum, you guys keep adding advertisement.

I even dislike the header you guys have put up there. I just want a neat forum. I can use extension and make it neat, fine but hell why you guys messing up with your old members. How many times should we tell you? How many times? You exactly know what the problem is, you exactly know how to fix it but you won't, instead you come here and ask us again what problem do we have.

Don't tell me you guys like visiting the forum full of ads! We just want to read. So again I am telling you what our PROBLEM is: advertisements, forum bugs - I still get the random 'wait for 30 seconds error between posts', even when it is my first post.

This forum was perfect earlier. I actually liked coming here but now its bloated with ads. I come here for like 1 thread - Photography. Trust me, there are hardly 10 members in the whole forum that keep the forum alive. Don't spoil the experience for those loyal members.

PS: Will I get a ban? I tried to be polite. Hope it works. :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

1) forum now looks awkward with less real estate for "The Content"
2) headache to see so many ads when using mobile browser and slows down too
3) due to the more ad content, we may end up finishing the mobile phone's data download limit faster
4) What is the need for ad's in forum when you have ads all over the magazine and in thinkdigit.com pages. Am sure none from the forum ever cares about any of those ads.

Krow

Crowman
I have requested already Anorion. Thanks for posting here at least. Let me place my requests.

1. Ads to disappear when one logs in.
  2. If not 1. , then ads on the sides to be removed. Forum width is a need for us.
  3. The amount of ads are just serving one purpose, hog bandwidth and in extension drive away members. Not everyone has a 2mbps line to not notice this and you people have to appreciate that fact. I visited a couple of other Indian forums and I was surprised at their speed. Having been a member only here, I did not appreciate the fact that forums could actually be faster.
  4. I dont need any fixing of the forum as long as you dont pop in more and more ads.
  5. If you want to put more and more ads for revenue, then you must give us a bug free forum. Frankly, this forum looks more like a bandaged/plastered one rather than an injury free one. The problem that Chirag mentioned about 30 seconds to post is one example. The forum AFAIK has gone in an auto double posting mode, with no control over double postings, and hence that 30 seconds between two posts fix was applied to stop the double posts and spammers hogging the forum. That's what makes sense to me anyway.
  6. It is imperative that admins start fixing the forum instead of adding ads. When you have time to add more ads, why not give some to the forum. Spam still creeps in and this is a unique problem it seems, as I ave not seen any spam at other forums, why only here?
  7. The new theme may be good looking to some, but it is slower and for takes longer time to load. I want a forum which does not hog my bandwidth.
  8. Flash based ads are unwarranted, all they do is increase the RAM consumption of my browser and irritate me.
  9. I have clicked only twice on the ads and that too before I started posting regularly. They only irritate me.
  10. I know none of the suggestions are going to be taken into account. I think that if they were to be, then they would have been already. I know that if these are implemented, then many more members will be present here. It is a shame to have about 50-200 users max at a forum as well known as this. The number of members logged in here at any one time is never more than 25. This is sure to change if our voices are to be heard and something done for us.

Aspire

Padawan
the side ads arent as annoying as the ads between posts!!
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Most of us do use Tarey_g 's Neat Digit Forum extension but what about those who do not use Firefox??????????????????????
JUST GET RID OF THE ****** ADS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
When we take it up with our superiors, instead of saying "guys on the forum are ranting", it is much better to send a mail consolidating the points. desiibond's post was perfect for such purposes, but I consolidated everything rhitwick, Chirag, Krow and Aspire had to say, consolidated the points into a single mail, and sent it out. If nothing, will keep you posted on the reply.

Krow

Crowman
When we take it up with our superiors, instead of saying "guys on the forum are ranting", it is much better to send a mail consolidating the points. desiibond's post was perfect for such purposes, but I consolidated everything rhitwick, Chirag, Krow and Aspire had to say, consolidated the points into a single mail, and sent it out. If nothing, will keep you posted on the reply.
The least you deserve is a BIG "THANK YOU". I would rep you for this post alone. :) I don't think any of us expected you to take it up with your superiors and this is a welcome change. Please keep us posted on the further developments. If nothing, then you may also link them to Techenclave forums, where unregistered members are greeted with a plethora of ads, but once they login, no ads whatsoever.

/me hopes that the superiors respond in a positive manner and TDF is restored to its old glorious period.

OP
A

amol48

Searching...
A simple question "Why do you need SO many ADs at all?"

1. I mean you are not running this forum for profits, are you?
2. As far as I think, it is just a place for members of digit/subscribers to interact with each other.
3. Regarding recovering costs for servers I am pretty sure it's not as much as the ADs posted here. You can easily recover that in numerous ways if you keep the forum clean and neat.
4. Even if you fail to recover 100% costs, I don't think that should be a problem as it's anyways a publicity for Digit as a whole! Isn't that Digit wants after all?

I mean Digit now, in no way, looks like a Technology site. It looks like a forum created by a 15 year old to earn money using Adsense! (They do it better in fact). The only reason why I can't leave Digit so easily is because I have been it's member since 2005 and hence of course have attachment! But that doesn't mean I should take it the way it has gone now since the past few months.

HOWEVER, if the sole intention of running thins forum is 'Profit' then I don't have to say anything of the above and kindly ignore that. I will take my a$$ to somewhere else then ;)

Rahim

Married!
^I highly doubt if TD is making any profit considering the bhikaari way they are conducting their business.

I have become immune to this mess in TDF and ANorion, its so hypocrital of you to label the complains as rants because they are not rants but complains from those members who really feel attached and watching TDF die is like a part of the body has stopped functioning. This is what Jasubhai managed to make TD and its forum: Goodwill.
But 9.9 is not a friendly company and judging by your tone of talking ,particularly in this post above (otherwise you are quite good), speaks so highly about high-handedness.

Heck, 9.9 and its fleet of highly qualified staff are giving serious competition to our Sarkari Babus.

History has reminded us the fate of those who show Arrogance. I'm afraid a part of me will soon meet that fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom