The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

anky

Youngling
Re: Mobile Buying Guide: January 2013

@sam -
i am thinking of buying HTC desire V..in the list i have noticed that processor was marked red..although i wont be playing high end games on that
but due to that RED color i am now confused..will it cause lags in normal usage..(internet, utube videos, music, and normal apps of android)..??

Anil.2705

Broken In

install Go launcher from Play Store.
Wouldn't that take the juice out of my RAM?
As per specs, its 256, in mobile it shows around 180 MB( i can understand this as OS uses a part of it)
of this 180MB, around 100MB is always in use, leaving me less than 50MB(i cant understand this) can u explain plz

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@sam -
i am thinking of buying HTC desire V..in the list i have noticed that processor was marked red..although i wont be playing high end games on that
but due to that RED color i am now confused..will it cause lags in normal usage..(internet, utube videos, music, and normal apps of android)..??

in the long run. having more processing power will really help even if you don't game. the processor is slow and 512MB ram surely won't help either. If you can increase your budget then you'll find lot better mobiles in 15-20k range but under 15k, you can also pick Xperia U. It too has only 512MB ram but at least lot better processor or Galaxy S Duos has more ram compared to Desire V while costing same.

Wouldn't that take the juice out of my RAM?
As per specs, its 256, in mobile it shows around 180 MB( i can understand this as OS uses a part of it)
of this 180MB, around 100MB is always in use, leaving me less than 50MB(i cant understand this) can u explain plz

check for Launcher settings if Micromax has added it. It may have dock settings or dock style. Out of 256MB, around 70-80MB is used for graphics memory. ~100MB for Android OS (with added skin, more bloatware it'll use more ram). Rest is available for user accessible memory.

@anky, HTC requires more than 512MB of RAM for Jelly Bean updates. And this is no marketing strategy by HTC. Most of these mobiles (One V, Desire V) have high resolution and 512MB is not sufficient. Even Sony has announced same with Xperia U, though it is a bit odd that Xperia J (same spec as Desire V and inferior to Xperia U) will receive JB update. But my point is, get a mobile with the best possible hardware irrespective of your needs. You'll need it if unless you are going to stick with the same outdated OS for next lifetime of the mobile.

Anil.2705

Broken In

in the long run. having more processing power will really help even if you don't game. the processor is slow and 512MB ram surely won't help either. If you can increase your budget then you'll find lot better mobiles in 15-20k range but under 15k, you can also pick Xperia U. It too has only 512MB ram but at least lot better processor or Galaxy S Duos has more ram compared to Desire V while costing same.

check for Launcher settings if Micromax has added it. It may have dock settings or dock style. Out of 256MB, around 70-80MB is used for graphics memory. ~100MB for Android OS (with added skin, more bloatware it'll use more ram). Rest is available for user accessible memory.

@anky, HTC requires more than 512MB of RAM for Jelly Bean updates. And this is no marketing strategy by HTC. Most of these mobiles (One V, Desire V) have high resolution and 512MB is not sufficient. Even Sony has announced same with Xperia U, though it is a bit odd that Xperia J (same spec as Desire V and inferior to Xperia U) will receive JB update. But my point is, get a mobile with the best possible hardware irrespective of your needs. You'll need it if unless you are going to stick with the same outdated OS for next lifetime of the mobile.

nah i didn't find any dock settings as such
the picture on the box of the mobile, in all other videos and pictures on the net it has 5 shortcuts
but in my mobile there are only 4 :(

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

nah i didn't find any dock settings as such
the picture on the box of the mobile, in all other videos and pictures on the net it has 5 shortcuts
but in my mobile there are only 4 :(

if you press menu when in homescreen doesn't it show any option?

Anil.2705

Broken In

if you press menu when in homescreen doesn't it show any option?

Shows few option but none related to the shortcuts at the bottom
in one of the video on youtube, at the first startup it said thats its the micromax launcher 1.0
when i'm using the same model of the one i watched in the video, how can it be different for me?
and even on the box the picture is with 5 icons but in the phone only 4 icons :shock:

vipul619

whodiswhodat

Shouldn't the SGS2 be a part of the 20-25k list as well?
I mean after HTC One S, it still beats everyone in there!

rohit0571

Journeyman
Re: Mobile Buying Guide: December 2012

A5+ is still coming soon on flipkart but from the spec sheet it is the best of the bunch. but better to spend 900 bucks more and get Karbonn A15 from Saholic.

How about going for Micromax A80. It seems better than Karbon A5+ or A15, Ninja 3 0r Ninja 4. It has everything like very very big battery life (2500 mhz) Gingerbread, good processor, 512 mb Ram etc for just Rs.5800

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Shouldn't the SGS2 be a part of the 20-25k list as well?
I mean after HTC One S, it still beats everyone in there!

Xperia S beats One S hands down. Adexmart is selling SL for 24.99k. S2 is 1.5yr old mobile. no reason to keep that old a mobile.

Shows few option but none related to the shortcuts at the bottom
in one of the video on youtube, at the first startup it said thats its the micromax launcher 1.0
when i'm using the same model of the one i watched in the video, how can it be different for me?
and even on the box the picture is with 5 icons but in the phone only 4 icons :shock:

without hands on experience it is really difficult to guide. Also with ICS, a lot of changes were implemented so kind of forgotten a few of the tricks. Settings list anything like "micromax settings"? else i don't think it is possible. Or try to hold the shortcut for 2-3sec and check if it vibrates. If it does, drag it to middle.

vipul619

whodiswhodat

Xperia S beats One S hands down. Adexmart is selling SL for 24.99k. S2 is 1.5yr old mobile. no reason to keep that old a mobile.

Umm, it actually is head to head!
And since a device that was launched 2 years ago can still beat a device launched now, and it still gets official updates, i think it is worthy of a spot!

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Umm, it actually is head to head!
And since a device that was launched 2 years ago can still beat a device launched now, and it still gets official updates, i think it is worthy of a spot!

i was comparing One S and Xperia S. And S2 has low resolution compared to Xperia S thats why S2's score is comparable to Xperia S. But the real deal is S2 is getting old and lot better alternates are available.

Shibadip

Destined to be the Winner

How about going for Micromax A80. It seems better than Karbon A5+ or A15, Ninja 3 0r Ninja 4. It has everything like very very big battery life (2500 mhz) Gingerbread, good processor, 512 mb Ram etc for just Rs.5800

Buddy, A80 does not have a 512 Ram. Rather it has only 256MB RAM, and 512MB of Internal memory.
Also comes with a outdated OS, and 800MZH processor..

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

may be this is offtopic but..
please can any one help me with buying motorola droid 4 or anything from the US .
or if some of you know how to setup the courier service who will send that to india.
please help :
*wireless.newegg.com/campaignroute.aspx?cflag=cobrand_home&referringdomain=newegg&oflag=specialoffer&refcode1=EGG_0412_001_TabPg_SprEvoDesign&zipcode=91786&cm_sp=CellPhonesTab-_-Pillars-_-PhonesService&cenbd=1&cid=35159_afc21f48be8c456dbcacfad5067e1b4c

NEED URGENT HELP

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

Hi Guys,
Is HTC 8X worth buying now? considering its pros & cons...
I've heard problems in its battery life?

Anil.2705

Broken In

without hands on experience it is really difficult to guide. Also with ICS, a lot of changes were implemented so kind of forgotten a few of the tricks. Settings list anything like "micromax settings"? else i don't think it is possible. Or try to hold the shortcut for 2-3sec and check if it vibrates. If it does, drag it to middle.

i watched a video closely and at the first startup it says that its micromax launcher 1.0
i'm using the same model, snd i guess its been released recently so not expecting that to be of an update
i've tried googling it but found no such launcher
i just wanted to try it as it s smooth and looks pretty well too
the phone doesnt have update option anywhere so an other chance of updating it?

anky

Youngling

out of these..which one is preferred ?
HTC DESIRE X,HTC ONE V..? (gaming is not one of the main priority)
and if we consider 10-11 range..is HTC desire C a good option..? or any other mobile?(not samsung)

rohit0571

Journeyman

A5+ is still coming soon on flipkart but from the spec sheet it is the best of the bunch. but better to spend 900 bucks more and get Karbonn A15 from Saholic.

Hi Sam, how about going for Lava Iris 400 instead of A15 as there is merely Rs.500/- difference & he will get a better camera + front camera, better battery, flash & slimmer mobile. But yes, he will loose the internal memory...

Now Sam, your take on this...?

Compare Lava Iris N400 vs Karbonn A15 vs Videocon A30 | SmartPrix

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Hi Sam, how about going for Lava Iris 400 instead of A15 as there is merely Rs.500/- difference & he will get a better camera + front camera, better battery, flash & slimmer mobile. But yes, he will loose the internal memory...

Now Sam, your take on this...?

127MB internal memory in Lava N400 vs 4GB (~2.5GB should be accessible to user) in A15.

rahuljadu

Right off the assembly line

Bro my budget is 8500k maximum .i wanna buy android phone which is better phone according to you. I'm just checking karbonn a11 & a9+. How is this ? Tell me which one should i buy? I want long term phone.

anoop.kumar

Right off the assembly line

Hi Guys,

I am thinking to get my first Android smartphone (upgrading from my current Nokia 1280).

My main usage will be Google maps and some quizzes, puzzles and games like temple run.
I do not plan to root the mobile.
Camera, Looks and Brand value are not priorities, but performace (speed\no lagging) is.
My budget cap is about 12K.

I have shortlisted Karbonn A21, Xolo A700 and Andi 4.5h.

Among this, Andi roughly costs 3K more than the other two, but offers 1GB ram. The flipside is the 1600 mAh Battery.

Do you think it is worth spenidng 3K extra and getting Andi 4.5, or should I go with Xolo 700 and save 3K?

Other than what I have already shortlisted, should I consider any otehr models?
In the 12K bracket, which mobile have the best performance?

Thanks
--Anoop

PS: Thank you sam for the wonderful guide.

Top Bottom