The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Mobile Buying Guide: September 2012

1)HTC xplorer for 8k do u think i should go for it and can i unofficially install ICS on it as i read some where that installing Custom rom or so and so is a bit difficult on HTC cellphones

yes you need first unlock it but possible.

2)Samsung Galaxy Y bt specs are too low, but at 6300 we cant ask for more

at 7k, Explorer it lot better. Instead grab LG Optimus L3

3)Samsung Galaxy Pocket is decent bt same as above at 6300

way too small at 2.8"

it will be used by female hands so i dont know wht to go for i think they hardly use any apps or games(my case ha) so plz suggest 4m above r suggest a gwd phone. (no domestic rec plz)

no to Samsung & LG mobiles then. grab Explorer.

and for all those dumb guys who say Explorer's display is smaller than 3.2", check this:
*i.imgur.com/KBYtr.jpg
my mobile is running Cyanogenmod 9 & Explorer stock GB

Any comment on Huawei u5510 I am using it & liked it Very much..

no idea about these lowend Huawei mobiles. Better check ones from Samsung.

LegendKiller

In the zone
Re: Mobile Buying Guide: October 2012

Well i am looking to buy a good handset between 15-20k. Doing a bit of research on prices on various online sites, i find that xperia p is available at ebay for 17.5k. I went to croma y'day and it seems the handset is excellent and there its priced at 24.5 k!!

The only other handset with a good 4 inch screen in that price range is neo l and galaxy s advance....but some stores are saying that Galaxy s adv is going off the shelf soon.

I don't know if there's any new phone cmg in that price-range as the new lumia's would be expensive and even HTC 8s would be initially priced over 20k's....I asked motorola on FB and they said Atrix HD would be priced at 27k and is due in 2-3 months......

So, basically i am little confused, as i can't see a "wow" device in that range, except xperia-p...(that too on ebay).

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

S3 Mini & S2 Plus will appear in the 20-30k range. S2 Plus most likely will replace S Advanced.

Atrix HD mayn't be released here if Motorola is pulling off. I hope their group have clear info.

Many have said Xperia L to be a downgrade from Neo V. If you are going for Motorola, why not check Atrix 2? it has slightly bigger display at 4.3"

LegendKiller

In the zone

No my first choice is obviously xperia-p and if galaxy s3 mini or s2+ fall within my range, there's an event on 11th, i will definetly consider that..

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!

Can anyone please advise me about LG Optimus L5 E612 vs Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos I589 perfomance-wise? You may also suggest any other mobile phone in this price range, if that would be better in your opinion/experience.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

L5 is way better than Ace Duos in terms of raw power but 320X480 resolution in a 4" screen will look extremely bad.
I have used only one mobile with such low ppi, Samsung Galaxy Fit and it was easily the worst display i have ever seen in a mobile. Get a hands on with L5 then decide if the screen is usable. Performance is fine for that resolution.

Niilesh

Padawan

You need to format the details of Xperia Mini.(shift it to the right) Also doesn't Desire C has a Flash?

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!

L5 is way better than Ace Duos in terms of raw power but 320X480 resolution in a 4" screen will look extremely bad.
I have used only one mobile with such low ppi, Samsung Galaxy Fit and it was easily the worst display i have ever seen in a mobile. Get a hands on with L5 then decide if the screen is usable. Performance is fine for that resolution.

Thanks! It's the same impression I got from the reviews that I came across. My experience in Mobile Phone shopping is very bad in Kolkata in that no shop wants to let the prospective customer take one in hand to take a close look and have the feel of it in the hand. No demo model, I guess.Therefore, I was just hoping if someone has any first hand experience and may tell me if the poor display of the L5 would be a real deal breaker. Otherwise, I shall blindly go for it. After all, how bad can the display be? It's not for any show off, and as long as I don't have to squint at it, the display should be acceptable.

hitesh

In the zone

Any way to know the details of karbonn a1+ 's soc ? This phone looks reallyyyyyyy value for money

Also , why isn't there a dual sim column in indian brand 5k phones ? Just wondering

Can you make a similar thread for tablets ?

jpushkarh

Broken In
Re: Mobile Buying Guide: September 2012

no idea about these lowend Huawei mobiles. Better check ones from Samsung.

I have written noobs review for Huawei u5510 at Techenclave .... [Review] Huawei u5510 - Fully Loaded, Super Fast, Super Smooth, Java Phone !! .. I have used only 2-3 feature phones yet so . Your experts comment will be helpful ....

Which of these phones has 3G and is good in terms of quality & features upto Rs.5000/-

Have a look @ Huawei u5510 My review [Review] Huawei u5510 - Fully Loaded, Super Fast, Super Smooth, Java Phone !!

Good work bro btw you should make a thread just like this about tablets

+1 Sam

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

read your review. Looks much better than the 3G samsung mobile my mom is using. got it for same price. camera is absolutely pathetic and 3G with single sim. only plus point is it being extremely lightweight. added to the list :)

blackedition91

Extreme Gamer

Hey guys, is SE Live with Walkman still in production? Is it good to go with it? Any idea where I can buy it?

P.S Is Xperia ray worth the extra 2.5K considering the same hardware other than better screen and camera?

Last edited:

buddyram

New Voyage

Smartphones under 15K,
with Android OS,
above 5 MP Camera
Capacitive Touch

I was tempted with Micromax A90 as i maintain dual SIM. If its worth please do suggest me, if not any others below that price range

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes

@sam, have a look at my xperia p review..also want to ask you why don't you link all mobile reviews in first page of this thread?? it will be easier to find price and review of the mobile in one thread...i.e. mobile name n below all links of reviews of respective mobile from all TG members.. :)

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

actually we already have a thread [Index] User Reviews & feedback for Mobile phones that tracks member reviews but not updated in a long time. i'll PM Sarath to update it or do it myself.

sayan8

()==[:::::::::> ◖(◣ ◢)◗

Hey Sam,
Correction
Karbonn a21 4.5 TFT 386 ram

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes

@sam, it's good u guys made separate thread. but still i feel it's even more better to find prices n reviews of the mobile at one place.. :) that thread is not sticky too. :D also separate Reviews ka thread is there for all electronic devices..u just gotta get those links n put here on 1st page in respective price range.. it will be more convenient..that's what i think.. think about it once.. :)

KeiDash

Right off the assembly line

Hey guys, I was thinking of buying an Android phone within 10k and I first decided on the HTC Explorer (for around Rs.8k) but I thought maybe I could hold out for Diwali and get either the Motorola Defy+ or the Sony Xperia U (both around Rs.13k). Is there any chance of an approximate Rs.3000 discount on either phone during Diwali? I can't go above 10k under any circumstance.

I decided upon the phones I mentioned based on the following factors: 1.Brand. 2.Build quality. 3.Custom rom/root support. 4.Screen size (important point on why I decided to look beyond the HTC explorer)

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Hey Sam,
Correction
Karbonn a21 4.5 TFT 386 ram

will check and correct it. BTW ram is 512/768MB i guess. 386MB free, rest used by system.

@sam, it's good u guys made separate thread. but still i feel it's even more better to find prices n reviews of the mobile at one place.. :) that thread is not sticky too. :D also separate Reviews ka thread is there for all electronic devices..u just gotta get those links n put here on 1st page in respective price range.. it will be more convenient..that's what i think.. think about it once.. :)

don't be so lazy. 2 threads, both sticked. one list mobile with specs, second list the reviews for some mobiles. if i start to add review links, the thread will become one hell of a mess. i have already removed multiple columns just to slim things down, add a column for review links, it'll be completely unusable.

Hey guys, I was thinking of buying an Android phone within 10k and I first decided on the HTC Explorer (for around Rs.8k) but I thought maybe I could hold out for Diwali and get either the Motorola Defy+ or the Sony Xperia U (both around Rs.13k). Is there any chance of an approximate Rs.3000 discount on either phone during Diwali? I can't go above 10k under any circumstance. I decided upon the phones I mentioned based on the following factors: 1.Brand. 2.Build quality. 3.Custom rom/root support. 4.Screen size (important point on why I decided to look beyond the HTC explorer)

Xperia U price mayn't fall to such level even with coupon code. Current pricing is still in 14-15k. Defy+ has started disappearing from most online portals and Motorola is least bothered about any pricecuts. Under 10k, get Tipo instead of Explorer just for the internal memory. If you care about custom rom, check Huawei G300. Visit Modaco Forum. They have a huge support for G300 there, XDA too maybe but need to check.

Top Bottom