The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

tkin

Back to school!!
Re: Mobile Buying Guide: February 2013

Tell him to increase his budget little more and get Galaxy Nexus for 18.5k. No other phone is better than this for this price.
You're gonna recommend Nexus over L9? When they have same chipset and L9 has warranty and can be had of 15-17k with deals. You are possessed by Nexus :p

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

You're gonna recommend Nexus over L9? When they have same chipset and L9 has warranty and can be had of 15-17k with deals. You are possessed by Nexus :p

Obsessed :p

@rider- nexus 4 or simple nexus ?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

@tkin not really. The average user is more concerned about warranty over anything else. After all 19k of a persons hard earned money, atleast for me seems a big investment.

Whereas Devs and power users are not that concerned about warranty. They want to use the latest in tech(Nexus devices get the first official Android updates), to stand different in a crowd.

Not that the L9 is inferior in anyway but different people have different requirements.

tkin

Back to school!!

@tkin not really. The average user is more concerned about warranty over anything else. After all 19k of a persons hard earned money, atleast for me seems a big investment.

Whereas Devs and power users are not that concerned about warranty. They want to use the latest in tech(Nexus devices get the first official Android updates), to stand different in a crowd.

Not that the L9 is inferior in anyway but different people have different requirements.
Can you tell me something, why would a power user buy the Galaxy Nexus for 18.5k when L9 is retailing locally at 17k? Just for the updates?

Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 vs. LG Optimus L9 P760 - GSMArena.com

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

1) Galaxy Nexus has a better processor
2) Better screen resolution. GNex has a 720p screen
3) Better display overall(316 ppi on the GNex)

4) 4g versions are also there, L9 has no 4g version AFAIK.

5) Best secondary camera of 1.3MP.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!

1) Galaxy Nexus has a better processor
2) Better screen resolution. GNex has a 720p screen
3) Better display overall(316 ppi on the GNex)

4) 4g versions are also there, L9 has no 4g version AFAIK
4 is useless in India, so a 200Mhz bump, and a high res screen(not better, as some people do prefer IPS over amoled, even samsung is shifting to LCD with SGS IV), and for this sacrificing warranty @ 18.5k, then why not get the Nexus 4 altogether @ 23k?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

4 is useless in India, so a 200Mhz bump, and a high res screen(not better, as some people do prefer IPS over amoled, even samsung is shifting to LCD with SGS IV), and for this sacrificing warranty @ 18.5k, then why not get the Nexus 4 altogether @ 23k?

Trust me its not about preference or anything.
As for Samsung moving to LCD, well there can be many reasons not necessarily as one tech is inferior. Points i mentioned are valid and Gnex is superior

As for getting Nexus 4 different budget different arguments.

tkin

Back to school!!

Trust me its not about preference or anything.
As for Samsung moving to LCD, well there can be many reasons not necessarily as one tech is inferior. Points i mentioned are valid and Gnex is superior

As for getting Nexus 4 different budget different arguments.
Its superior I agree, but is it superior to command extra 1.5k with absolutely no warranty?

rider

as Kratos

Rider said Galaxy Nexus and said 18.5k, so definitely Samsung Galaxy Nexus, height of obsession :p :p
I'm not totally obsessed with Nexus dude. I think you are with your L9. Try to understand hardware is not everything. Comparing Android Jelly bean 4.2.2 with L9 (ICS) is like a human with a monkey. :razz: (lol jk)

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive

It is not obsession dude. Try to understand hardware is not everything. Comparing Android Jelly bean 4.2.2 with L9 (ICS) is like monkey with a human. :razz:
haha LOL
BTW Nexus for Great Community support and in terms of performance Pantech burst beats it but Burst got no support!
Same way IMO Nexus is better than l9 (only and only in Community support ) other wise L9 is way to go :p

rider

as Kratos

Super Like!! Most people are not afraid to root, flash and put ROM in their device but afraid for buying without warranty. :lol:

haha LOL
BTW Nexus for Great Community support and in terms of performance Pantech burst beats it but Burst got no support!
Same way IMO Nexus is better than l9 (only and only in Community support ) other wise L9 is way to go :p

Nexus or say Nexiz are pretty much refined and developed devices by google itself. They are pure android experience without any lag. Galaxy Nexus is much superior device in terms of software and user experience. (Even better than One X and GS3 in general tasks).

Thanks to hundreds of apps and ROM that can make Nexus device as your own wish.

pratyush997

Inactive

Super Like!! Most people are not afraid to root, flash and put ROM in their device but afraid for buying without warranty. :lol:

Nexus or say Nexiz are pretty much refined and developed devices by google itself. They are pure android experience without any lag. Galaxy Nexus is much superior device in terms of software and user experience. (Even better than One X and GS3 in general tasks).

Thanks to hundreds of apps and ROM that can make Nexus device as your own wish.
^ All cuz of devs ;)

rider

as Kratos

haha LOL

I hope your upcoming Pantech Burst don't get burst when it get turned on. (lol jk)

Do you why iPhone 5's light dual core processor beats even big quad core phones in terms of performance ?

^ All cuz of devs ;)

Vanilla android is itself a giant wrestler without clothes. :p

rider

as Kratos

I'll get Burst then :D

iOS- Better H/W Optimization

Exactly. The software optimization. In android ROMs no one can beat vanilla android because it is pure google experience. This is why people who have other phones put CyanogenMod like ROM into it.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

@rider Apple‘s philosopy is different. They “seamlessly“ integrate Software and Hardware. That‘s pretty much the reason of the fluid performance of iOS devices.
For Android its the opposite. Community support is everything. Hence Google opting for the open model isn‘t surprising.

tkin

Back to school!!

@rider Apple‘s philosopy is different. They “seamlessly“ integrate Software and Hardware. That‘s pretty much the reason of the fluid performance of iOS devices.
For Android its the opposite. Community support is everything. Hence Google opting for the open model isn‘t surprising.
They can't, android and ios is exactly like ios(mac) and windows(PC), on one hand we have variety of hardware combo, need a better cam, there's a phone for that, need a new feature, there's a phone with that, need bigger screen, same, need waterproof phone, android has one too, ios is locked, need new feature, no way, keep what you get, if you don't like it? Too bad, but with that comes better hardware integration, as ios devs need to work on one and only one hardware, they need not worry what this new feature might do to the older GPUs in older phones, and don't forget community :)

rinkumathew

Right off the assembly line

Android Buyers Guide: Planning to get an Android mobile but confused between various options? Go through the 4 points below to know what to get and what to avoid:

Display:
  1. Avoid any Android mobile with QVGA resolution (240X320) as most apps as well as games no longer support it.
  2. Avoid mobiles with odd resolution like (768X1024 or 600X1024) as it'll lead to same problem as above.
  3. Try to go for the mobile with highest PPI (pixel per inch) as lower PPI means blurry images and text.
  4. AMOLED/IPS doesn't mean that display will be better rather AMOLED means better black level whereas IPS means better viewing angle.
  5. Gorilla Glass is prone to scratches so a scratch guard is always recommended.

Processor:
  1. Avoid any Android mobile with ARM11 processing core as those are no longer supported by majority of the apps or by Google itself.
  2. Clockspeed doesn't matter. You can get 1Ghz processor based Android for just 3k which mayn't even support the basic games.
  3. All Android mobile processor has a GPU integrated into the processor/chipset.
  4. Irrespective of mobile or manufacturer, if chipset is same then GPU will be same as well.
  5. Performance wise Cortex A5 < Scorpion < Cortex A7 < Cortex A9 < Krait < Cortex A15. Performance scales equally with increase in cores.

Memory:
  1. To run smoothly Android mobile need 512MB or more ram depending on the display resolution and processor. Less ram means slowdown.
  2. You get roughly 50% free ram for use once your mobile boots up as GPU & Android system requires system ram.
  3. Rom memory is not same as internal memory. Rom memory is the total memory whereas the free memory is the internal memory.
  4. Mobiles with more than 5GB storage have multiple partition: apps memory (dedicated to apps) as well as user accessible memory.

Battery:
  1. Check that the mobile ships with at least 1500mah battery else get ready to charge 2 times per day.
  2. Bigger display will require more battery so if screen size is 4.5"+ check that battery is more than 2000mah.
  3. AMOLED is a real battery saver so expect more battery backup.
  4. Try to avoid mobiles with integrated battery as if there is any kind of problem, turning off mobile can be a bit difficult.

[OPTIONAL] Community support:
  1. Rooting, custom recovery or unofficial Android (custom rom) will break your warranty.
  2. Not all mobiles get same kind of community support so be sure (check XDA, Modaco or Android forum) if you care about custom roms.
  3. Android from Indian brands rarely get any kind of community support.

Spec Summary:

MobilesLowendMidrangeHighend
PriceBelow 15kBelow 25kAbove 25k
ProcessorCortex A5 dualcore/Cortex A9 dualcoreCortex A9/Scorpion dualcoreCortex A9 quadcore/Cortex A15/Krait dualcore
Ram512MB1GB1GB+
DisplayWVGA/FWVGA resolution, 200+ ppiqHD/HD resolution, 250+ ppiHD resolution, 300+ ppi
Internal Memory1GB+5GB+15GB+

Added Notes: If you want extra stuff like camera with HD video recording or front facing camera or latest Android, check it yourself. My guide covers almost everything.

Hi sam great work dude. you rock.....

Now if you want to compare the different phones that you have shortlisted , you might just want to try this.. I am including 4 of my personal best as the competetors, You can compare between any phones here
Micromax A116 Canvas HD Vs Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562 Vs HTC Desire V Vs Xolo A1000 - PlannTo

Top Bottom