The Blogger's Thread

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Last week I lost all my data on my 1 TB disk due to a bug of Ubuntu. Wrote an article about my experience and how it taught me lessons.
How Ubuntu screwed me over and why I still love it | Vineet Kumar

Also posted same on forum: *www.digit.in/forum/chit-chat/191079-how-ubuntu-screwed-me-over-why-i-still-love.html

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I'm posting my website here just for you guys to review it.

It isn't a blog kinda thing, however it did start with that.

Visit here - Prepfocus | Home (Please use Chrome or Safari on OS X for full feature implementation).

I along with a friend are soon going to make it "professional", so it's still WIP.

Please pour in your tips and suggestions. :)

Thanks !!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Last week I lost all my data on my 1 TB disk due to a bug of Ubuntu. Wrote an article about my experience and how it taught me lessons.
How Ubuntu screwed me over and why I still love it | Vineet Kumar

Also posted same on forum: *www.digit.in/forum/chit-chat/191079-how-ubuntu-screwed-me-over-why-i-still-love.html

:) part and parcel of getting root access to a machine and fiddling around with installing operating systems.
don't be so quick to judge it, try out an older version, or derivatives like mint
and also, keep exploring other distros

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Visit here - Prepfocus | Home (Please use Chrome or Safari on OS X for full feature implementation).

I along with a friend are soon going to make it "professional", so it's still WIP.

Thanks !!

Nice..!!

BTW you might have problem SEO'ing it due to parallex. So make sure you write enough content in blogs :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

ooh nice
the header-to-navbar transition can be done on the first scroll action itself. Keep the logo consistent, across both the nav bar and the header, either as a tab or a button. This is your identity, and it shouldn't be the first thing to change on the page.
either stick to a one-page scrollling web site, or one with navigable pages. Nest the information under read more buttons in the main page itself instead of directing to other pages. There is a blog, so individual pages will be there, so then ditch the single-page scrolling design. In any case, at least give each of the pages a nav bar.
Site Map helps with SEO
can do away with home button as the logo serves that purpose so well

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz

Thanks !!
Is this free service or require any subscription?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Nice..!!

BTW you might have problem SEO'ing it due to parallex. So make sure you write enough content in blogs :)

Yeah, that's why we've scrapped parallex as of now. Thanks for the input though. :)

ooh nice
the header-to-navbar transition can be done on the first scroll action itself. Keep the logo consistent, across both the nav bar and the header, either as a tab or a button. This is your identity, and it shouldn't be the first thing to change on the page.
either stick to a one-page scrollling web site, or one with navigable pages. Nest the information under read more buttons in the main page itself instead of directing to other pages. There is a blog, so individual pages will be there, so then ditch the single-page scrolling design. In any case, at least give each of the pages a nav bar.
Site Map helps with SEO
can do away with home button as the logo serves that purpose so well

Will surely look into them sire, thanks for the suggestion ! :)

Is this free service or require any subscription?

In the initial phase, most of the content will be for free but not the mock tests. As of now we have not put even 5% of our content (which was there earlier) as we are testing many things. But as we are doing it as a profession (I have left my job for this), so it will be paid, of course.

A lot of work is still left. As of now it's totally developed using wordpress, which we will be shifting to pure PHP from scratch (no CMS).

Will soon incorporate the changes as suggested by all and come back, thanks again !!

A

amit.tiger12

new tools for analyzing your site, blogs...

Free Website Evaluation Tool | HowOptimize
Website Review - SEO Tool | WooRank.com
Website Analysis and SEO Tools | Site Analyzer
Check My Colours - Analyse the color contrast of your web pages
*www.dareboost.com/en/home

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
new tools for analyzing your site, blogs...

Free Website Evaluation Tool | HowOptimize
Website Review - SEO Tool | WooRank.com
Website Analysis and SEO Tools | Site Analyzer
Check My Colours - Analyse the color contrast of your web pages
*www.dareboost.com/en/home
These tools analyze the whole website or just the homepage?
Cuz I think it's the homepage which it analyzes...

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It obviously analyze whole site. You can't judge the site buy its homepage. Atleast in terms of SEO.

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Recently updated my blog with another post Queen of Hills - Darjeeling - Krishnandu Sarkar

Though this was really an unplanned trip and we suddenly decided it on our way, without any preparation. So pics are not that good here :(

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Any of you guys trying to take your blog to "business" level? Most of the blogs which I see are personal and not interested in revenue...

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I would like to, just enough revenue to keep stuff running. Pay for the VPS + pay for the domain name. But as of now, I don't see how.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even if you could apply for monetization, it sucks the fun out from blogging. Cause then it's all commercial.
You always think about monetizing, views and keywords. Granted it can help generate an alternate source of income but what's the fun when you then don't really write from heart and instead try to spam the article links wherever possible.

If you really think you can write good articles then I suppose you can even try doing it as freelancing on commercial sites.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's right. That's why i dont intend to monetize it. But that doesn't mean I dont want to do good SEO. Thats why it's not some professional domain. I took the domain on my name.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah but why not take your blogging passion to next level by earning from it? You do your favourite thing and plus you earn money

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^advertising is kind of a distraction from the content, and makes it look like you are putting up the content just for the revenue from advertising
an ad free blog focuses more on the content and removes any distractions, this clarity gets across to the audience, who might feel compelled to revisit this commercial free corner of the web

Top Bottom