the Arch Linux thread

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Re: The Dark Side :Arch Linux

I seriously doubt you get getting 240kbps off of the IIT mirror but anyway. I got better results when I usually installed something bigger. Did you run the rank mirror script yet?

I seriously doubt you get getting 240kbps off of the IIT mirror but anyway. I got better results when I usually installed something bigger. Did you run the rank mirror script yet?
Yes I do get 240KBPS off IIT. Its the good day's speed. But normally I get 215KBPS.

I found no mention of rank mirror script yet in the Arch Manual. Please tell me the details.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

My HDD is dead again, this time in just 3months.
It seems i would also try Arch in a week for so when the new HDD arrives

Ontopic:
i see in Arch we have to download a lot, is there any way where i can download everything required in night time 200hrs-800hrs. and do the config later. waking up at midnight isn't best thing to do.
i have a BSNL Home 500

anyone wants to reply to this?

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

i see in Arch we have to download a lot, is there any way where i can download everything required in night time 200hrs-800hrs. and do the config later. waking up at midnight isn't best thing to do.
i have a BSNL Home 500
Downloading "everything" isnt going to happen. You might want to say what you want to download or use on your computer.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Speeds gradually increase towards the morning. In the end you will have to download alot fo data. I think about 700MB-1gb is about a good estimate. But if you choose your programs wisely the definitely you could fit everything with 300 MB I guess. If I recall correct I was able to get my basic configuration fixed by one day. You should be quite faster since you have a better clue at doing stuff like these than I usually do :).

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

xorg - 50MB
gnome - 150MB
Extra - atmost another 200MB
Total - 400MB
lolz

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Don't forget you need Java , Flash , Some Audio Player :O . If you use Evolution then thats a huge program too . For some reason I keep remembering Gnome to be at 500 MB with gnome-extras included . But hitboxx also mentioned it wasn't so maybe I miscalculated a bit there.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^thunderbird is another good alternative
Though that was just for basic config(including internet apps, graphics tools and sound and video) excluding openoffice :D

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

AHAHAHAHAHA Yes OOo itself is another 100-200 mb lololol. I was wondering where I got that 1 GB number.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

OK Ill explain it. Rankmirrors is a script which comes with pacman. You need Python for this script to work.

First run
Code:
rankmirrors -v /etc/pacman/mirrorlist
This will start running the script versus all the servers in the list. After some time it will actually print out a list of servers. I think you have to copy and paste that information into mirrorlist. Then run the update. Please note that they have specifically asked not to use the archlinux main server so you might want to remove that from the list as well.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

Speeds gradually increase towards the morning. In the end you will have to download alot fo data. I think about 700MB-1gb is about a good estimate. But if you choose your programs wisely the definitely you could fit everything with 300 MB I guess. If I recall correct I was able to get my basic configuration fixed by one day. You should be quite faster since you have a better clue at doing stuff like these than I usually do :).
Download size isn't a problem, can download upto 2.5GB in a night as i have other downloads also, but staying awake till 2am to wait for downloads to start is some problem.

I wanted to there is a method by which i could sleep and system installs. like a Unattended installation.

i hope you got me this time atleast:p

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Download size isn't a problem, can download upto 2.5GB in a night as i have other downloads also, but staying awake till 2am to wait for downloads to start is some problem.

Put pacman --noconfirm and the list of packages you want to install in crontab like you are scheduling your torrents now?

I wanted to there is a method by which i could sleep and system installs. like a Unattended installation.

I think the above should fix that . Open another terminal and put a shutdown -h 7:30 and it should shut your computer down at that time also.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

Put pacman --noconfirm and the list of packages you want to install in crontab like you are scheduling your torrents now?

I think the above should fix that . Open another terminal and put a shutdown -h 7:30 and it should shut your computer down at that time also.
Thanks
I have have everything ready except a Hard drive:D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

i have a BSNL Home 500
pacman -Sw package list

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Actually the above option wont work pacman -Sw only downloads the software after you confirm the packages in question. However if you use the --noconfirm switch with it it should download all packages to your system. But you will have to install it again I guess.

Top Bottom