the Arch Linux thread

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Re: The Dark Side :Arch Linux

Downloaded and burned the core iso.Now time to install.! :D Will hit back here if I run into problems [which I certainly will.! :p]

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Remember, remember, how to configure Internet connection via CLI ?

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...

Remember, remember, how to configure Internet connection via CLI ?
Yep..tried an install in virtual machine and net was configured fine.Putting off the HDD install for next month since a lot will need to be downloaded which ain't possible this month.:(

BTW, who says installing Arch is hard.? Even your girlfriend can install it :D:p

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Yep..tried an install in virtual machine and net was configured fine.Putting off the HDD install for next month since a lot will need to be downloaded which ain't possible this month.
There are a number of people running Arch here. Check and see if any live near you if so you could copy the packages from their machine and use it on your system if you use the same distro.

can anyone tell me the simplest app to use to take a screen shot of my desktop ?

I run a custom DE (which I plan to start a project with on SourceForge to compete with LXDE if it turns out to be good enough after a month of testing) with IceWM window manager, EmelFM file manager, DFM desktop based file manager, XTerm terminal, Xine-UI or MPlayer media player (not confirmed yet), Firefox Browser, and more comming.

I need to make a screenshot of it. :D

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...

can anyone tell me the simplest app to use to take a screen shot of my desktop ?

I run a custom DE (which I plan to start a project with on SourceForge to compete with LXDE if it turns out to be good enough after a month of testing) with IceWM window manager, EmelFM file manager, DFM desktop based file manager, XTerm terminal, Xine-UI or MPlayer media player (not confirmed yet), Firefox Browser, and more comming.

Imagemagick,

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

scrot
lolz:D

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...

Got Arch up and running net and sound working.Only thing now left is X Windows.Anyone on Arch here who uses KDEmod.? How good is it.? Can themes from kde-look.org be used on KDEmod.? Which one among XFCE and KDEmod is lighter on system resources.?

Pat

Beyond Smart

Got Arch up and running net and sound working.Only thing now left is X Windows.Anyone on Arch here who uses KDEmod.? How good is it.? Can themes from kde-look.org be used on KDEmod.? Which one among XFCE and KDEmod is lighter on system resources.?

It is very light and responsive. Cant compare t o XFCE as I have not used it on the same system. Themes will work. I used it for about a few weeks before moving back to GNOME again (not because KDEmod was not good or anything)

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

I'm guesstimating that XFCE is going to be lighter but you can check with Abhinand he runs XFCE on his Arch Box.

w00t! I finally managed to get kdemod up and running. I have a physics examination tomorrow which I would get screwed in if I don't study, so I am leaving the tweaking for tomorrow.

Meanwhile, AdBlocK filters for Konqueror will be welcome.

How do I enable in a KDE app like Konqueror the GTK feature of pressing down button and holding in a text box to go to the end of whatever I am typing ?

I think KDEmod is still not good enough in speed for me.

The GTK intergration sucks. Isn't there a way to apply firefox theme to GTK ?

Tango looks ugly compared to Crystal SVG. I wonder why these guys chose tango.

Download speeds rock at the time of posting. Since I have 1.5GB left this month from my BSNL H500 scheme, I decided to download stuff now, instead of wasting time at night with 20kbps DL speed.

I have decided to try to migrate to Konqueror from Firefox. I hope this goes well.

One thing I miss in Konqueror is Keyboard shortcuts of different websites. I can't use ctrl+b in quick reply to enable bold tags. This is too bad.

Arch is much more simple than I expected. I am surprised why Ubuntu is the newbie oriented distro and not Arch. Its so easy to use, its simply unnerving at times.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Arch is much more simple than I expected. I am surprised why Ubuntu is the newbie oriented distro and not Arch. Its so easy to use, its simply unnerving at times.
Theres a whole subsection of ArchLinux users on Ubuntuforums if I recall right. And I seriously doubt I would use Arch as a beginner distro. Since Everyone is running Arch now Im thinking of moving on to Gentoo.

Theres a whole subsection of ArchLinux users on Ubuntuforums if I recall right. And I seriously doubt I would use Arch as a beginner distro. Since Everyone is running Arch now Im thinking of moving on to Gentoo.
But the insane level of in built doccumentation and simple to use programs like nano make arch simply too easy from my point of view.

moving to gentoo ? I am already considering BSD after seeing how easy arch is... I remember reading somewhere that Arch makes an excellent stepping stone to source based distros like Gentoo. But KDEmod and Arch's delicated balence of features will still prevent me from switching. Perhaps I will try out something Workstation oriented like Fedora later. Actually, it was Slackware that I forever wanted to try but never had the guts to do so. Guess the time is soon comming to do so.

Top Bottom