Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Re: The Dark Side :Arch Linux

installed
booted
text mode
damn
where do I find the install guide and beginners guide ?

or atleast tell me someplace on the net where I can get the text versions of both. I intend to place them in my root directory and open them.

seriously dude have some hardcopy or use ur metaaaal head to remember these pesky little things.:rolleyes: It aint no rocket science :!:

I did the install with just 2 pages filled with certain notes, now I dont even need to read'em to install again on my new HDD.

hell, I know the damned guide is in the install media. But the problem is that I already installed it. I forgot the mount commands to mount a CD rom drive. I don't remember most such things. So I need the beginners guide and the install guide.

I am currently on Myah OS Box Edition Live CD

Anyway, I think I need to reinstall or do something like that since I goofed up with the optimisation part, by enabling things I never will need.

As for those laughing about my ability with the text mode, let me tell you that since I was familiar with ubuntu apt-get commandline, I had absolutely NO difficulty in bringing Debian Lenny to a perfectly usable state from bare minimum text install :p

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

As for those laughing about my ability with the text mode, let me tell you that since I was familiar with ubuntu apt-get commandline, I had absolutely NO difficulty in bringing Debian Lenny to a perfectly usable state from bare minimum text install

If you performed all the steps to the configuration of rc.conf then the only remaining steps are basically installing xorg and an Environment. Which could be Gnome , xfce , kdemod. Whatever.

After that you can install the rest.

I seriously doubt anyone here is measuring your "skill" to install a computer from scratch. However in the long run it would help you better if you actually opened up the beginner guide. Either email yourself a copy , put it in your cellphone or write down the basic steps. not the whole guide just the steps to get you a GUI which you seem comfortable with. Which is why I tell everyone to install Fluxbox or xfce since it sonly a small download compared to others.

To install something use pacman -S whatever_my_name_is .

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

@Gautham
first as root do
fdisk -l
then mount
mount /dev/<cddevice> /media/<cdrom>
where <cddevice> will be found in the output of fdisk -l and <cdrom> is a directory in /media made by "mkdir /media/cdrom" as root

looool... I copied the wiki via myah and pasted to /home/gautham.

arch is much more easier to configure than ubuntu and debian :D

I reinstalled it just for the heck of it.

I ONLY need a good mirror to download repo software.

help welcome.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

I haven't changed whatever the defaults were as far as the mirrors were concerned. I get speeds from 35kbps - 250 kbps. If I do my downloads in the evening its always slow. However if I do it in the early morning I get lightning fast speeds. Don't know why though.

@kalpik: Unixheads sucks even more than windows me :mad:
isn't there ANY mirror which can help me download at 200KBPS ? :cry:

I use BSNL H500 internet and OpenDNS servers and connect via DHCP from my Type-I modem, which itself is configured within to use OpenDNS as DNS servers.

I miss Debian's IIT Madras. :cry:

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

*www.filledvoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/screenshot-terminal.png
These are the speeds I get y using the default mirrors. As I said try installing stuff in the morning and not night.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

My HDD is dead again, this time in just 3months.
It seems i would also try Arch in a week for so when the new HDD arrives

Ontopic:
i see in Arch we have to download a lot, is there any way where i can download everything required in night time 200hrs-800hrs. and do the config later. waking up at midnight isn't best thing to do.
i have a BSNL Home 500

*www.filledvoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/screenshot-terminal.png
These are the speeds I get y using the default mirrors. As I said try installing stuff in the morning and not night.
but your speed is still too low, compared to the 240kbps I am used to :cry:

isn't there a script/command to auto select fastest mirror ?

Use windows Dude:p
thats what I am currently being forced to use.:mad:
but you know me... I hate looong boot times of windows, and the usual security protocols I am always forced to follow. and windows lacks features like triple click to select a line, a solid commandline (which I use in linux to save time), etc.

Infact, in my current state, maan chahta hai ki Linux Mint install as a temporary measure.

gautham needs a fast arch mirror :cry:

CadCrazy

in search of myself

thats what I am currently being forced to use.:mad:
but you know me... I hate looong boot times of windows, and the usual security protocols I am always forced to follow. and windows lacks features like triple click to select a line, a solid commandline (which I use in linux to save time), etc.
Wtf dude use Windows. life is not all about happiness. You should also face horror terror and torture :razz: :D :razz:

Top Bottom