Tablet/E-Reader for reading Books

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
Hi,

I want to buy a tablet or E-Reader where I can read my e-books (pdf files). I am really confused whether to go for a tablet or a dedicated E-Reader like kindle or nook.

My main requirement is to be able to read any pdf files natively and easily. I want to read my engineering textbooks on the device and as a result will be using it a lot. So battery performance is important.

And kindle and nook offer E-Ink so it is much less stress on eyes so I am inclined to them. But a tablet offers a lot more features so I am really confused.

Please advice me on the right device.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
My main requirement is to be able to read any pdf files natively and easily. I want to read my engineering textbooks on the device and as a result will be using it a lot. So battery performance is important.

Your requirement suggests you need a dedicated ebook reader, with e-ink and awesome battery life. If battery isn't a problem, then you can go for a tablet. One thing which also has to be taken care of is that you won't be able to read clearly in dark on devices like Kindle.

But since your primary requirement is "reading a lot", a dedicated ebook reader makes more sense, for your eyes, the most crucial sense of your body.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Depends on your budget really. a Kindle Fire is good enough. But if you want to stretch your budget an iPad would be great. But a iPad 3 is coming in 2 months time though

OP
D

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
I am more inclined to Kindle too.. But where do i buy it online from ? Because through amazon website u cant buy the ad version.. U can only buy non ad version which is internationally shipped.. Kindle Touch costs Rs 7500 including all the tax, shipping and all at the checkout.

hapdtop

Broken In
Hi everybody I wanted to purchase an e book reader.
Can I read ms word/pdf/.chm books in kindle/nook. Which other file formats are supported
Can I create a new document with tables and small pics
Finally which one is better kindle or nook. heard that nook has a micro sd slot

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
Hi
I am medical student so i think i know exactly how u feel about the books and referance need.We need to have atleast one or two books with us all time.

If you want to read text books that has graphics like the diagrams,charts and all things i advice u to go directly for any tablet pc bcoz they give u most detail on the graphic items.I have a ereader i find very difficult to understand the minute details on the images especially to distinguish anatomical structures.If u think u will not have that much crowded image then go for ereader othewise go for tablet.

Table has another advantage that u can use them as notebook with some stylus.If u insist on e link display i will strongly advice u to go for Kindle DX the 10 inch version bcoz in 6 inch it is nearly impossible to view PDF files clearly u will have to pan zoom and do many things bcoz pdf don't support Reflow.

Don't ever think about converting PDF to other reflow supported formats well they work only in Text only PDF files any PDF files with graphics will be very bad.

I know this much bcoz i bought 6inch ereader thinnking that it will help me to get more knowledge but only thing they give me is headache.

I can speak from experience that Nook tablet has the best hardware. On a color tablet you can also watch videos (mp4 format) and play games. And yes, it reads pdf and word doc files like a charm. On the flip side, it doesn't have GPS, camera and on board speaker aren't that great. Check out their site for more info Barnes & Noble - Books, Textbooks, eBooks, Toys, Games, DVDs and More

Top Bottom