system restarted during drive scan.now not working

radonryder

Broken In
So i was running a scan on my external Imation HDD for errors.It had to be unmounted to do so.I cliked the dialong box that did so.And it was scanning so was isntalling something and the computer restarted mid scan and now the drive shows up without any space under it and when i try to run scandisk it says the drive,path or file is invalid or something.It shows under my safely removeable disk.I tried the ontrack recovery software and it is jsut stuck at the scanning drives option.Please help guys that 1 tb hard was literally full
:(

Thanks in advace

Edit 2/09 : guys problems started again:(

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't understand the unmounting part, you were scanning through Windows (running chkdsk) or what?

Control Panel, open System, go to the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the issue.

Hehe, sorry for trolling.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
-_- its an external drive dickhead.
if you need to troll someone go elsewhere.

neither did i tbh when i tried to scan it it said the drive needs to be unmounted for it to can/fix errors so i cliked yes on the dialog box.

OK, remember, whenever you try to scan an external disk which was still accessed by some other program, then that unmount message come.

Now try to access the drive from a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu. Try to access the drive after mounting and do some file operations. In my case, it has helped a couple of times.

Last edited:
OP
radonryder

radonryder

Broken In
OK, remember, whenever you try to scan an external disk which was still accessed by some other program, they that unmount message come.

Now try to access the drive from a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu. Try to access the drive after mounting and do some file operations. In my case, it has helped a couple of times.

Will do.
Cheers mate

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
format from linux (as suggested by Skud) should fix it. in case it doesn't, try using this: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

PS: have tried it only many pen drive, but never on an external HDD. not sure if it'll be able to recognize it.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually if you are lucky, you don't need to format it. Linux generally recognizes the disk after chkdsk interruption messed up.

OP
radonryder

radonryder

Broken In
Code:
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Tried to open it in linux that error came.
so guess i'll have to format it then?

doomgiver

Warframe
no, you dont. run "/chkdsk <drive letter> /F" from admin command console.

this will do the trick.

my system froze too, with the exact same error (mine was a windows partition, so i had to use a mini-xp booted from a pen drive to run the command)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Code:
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Tried to open it in linux that error came.
so guess i'll have to format it then?

Your file system in the disk, (i.e. NTFS) is corrupt. You make try running chkdsk(check disk) but I don't think it will solve your problem. Best way is to format the drive completely.

doomgiver

Warframe
Your file system in the disk, (i.e. NTFS) is corrupt. You make try running chkdsk(check disk) but I don't think it will solve your problem. Best way is to format the drive completely.

oh no dude, most certainly NOT.

do the chkdsk FIRST.
as i've personally had this same problem, i can tell you exactly what to do.

formatting is a very extreme solution, do it only if NOTHING else works.

OP
radonryder

radonryder

Broken In
oh no dude, most certainly NOT.

do the chkdsk FIRST.
as i've personally had this same problem, i can tell you exactly what to do.

formatting is a very extreme solution, do it only if NOTHING else works.

dude Thanks a lot.
It is Scanning(just started 5 mins back).Slowly but it is.
praying it will fix it.

OP
radonryder

radonryder

Broken In
alright so now the thing is working but a lot of the files seem to be corrupted.tried using o & o recovery and its pretty much stuck.Any more advice guys?
im thinkin when i can i'll recover what data i can and reformat it.but again thanks yiu guys a lot of the stuff in there was irriplaceable and not everything seems to be curropted.you guys sure saved my backside

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
there u go: Downloads » Freeware Tools » Page 1 - www.hiren.info
download Raw Copy 1.2

Top Bottom