Switch to Bank Job from IT? Yes or No

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Hello everyone,

I am currently working in an IT firm in NCR region. I have B.Tech in Computer Science. I have been in IT industry from last 5 years and getting a salary of 72k per month after tax deductions. (11.2LPA) I love my job as I am a techie at heart.

However, I want to move closer to my home (Punjab). I hate living in busy metros such as Delhi. Moreover, I can't afford a decent house in Delhi as most of the decent houses in Delhi are around 1 crore. Living in Noida is out of the picture. Now the only way I see of moving closer to my home state is just to get a Bank Job as rest of the govt jobs are not for CSE graduates.

There are no jobs for my profile in Chandigarh and even if they are they would pay extremely less and no job security as well.

I suck at solving aptitude questions as I haven't practiced them much. Now I would have to prepare for scratch. What do you guys recommend? What should I do? Thanks.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
If you are looking at PSU banks, prepare for a significant downward revision in your pay and be ready to be on the move every 3 years. Initial few years will be spent far far away from in all likelihood unless you have some close contacts who could strongly pull strings and make things happen for you.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
If you are looking at PSU banks, prepare for a significant downward revision in your pay and be ready to be on the move every 3 years. Initial few years will be spent far far away from in all likelihood unless you have some close contacts who could strongly pull strings and make things happen for you.
I looking for PSU banks or any other Govt bank that keeps me posted in Punjab. Are the transfers within state or outside the state?
I know my pay would be almost half. But I guess things get better with tenure.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Nationalised banks transfer all over India. As I said earlier if you have connections, after initial few postings you could ensure postings in your general area. But there are no guarantees.

mitraark

Decrepit
No there is no guarantee at all where you will be posted, plus work pressure is immense in banks nowadays, unless you're posted in some remote village, which is even worse, plus the pay would really suck compared to what you earn now, and the most important part, you won't feel good about the work you do.

You're fairly close to your home now, there are enough good quiet places to live in NCR region, you are probably better off in your current position now than anything else. Preparing for exams now would be unnecessary burden upon you. Try getting a job where you can control your own timings, maybe get more off days, work from home options, that might help.

maheshn

Journeyman
Hello everyone,

I am currently working in an IT firm in NCR region. I have B.Tech in Computer Science. I have been in IT industry from last 5 years and getting a salary of 72k per month after tax deductions. (11.2LPA) I love my job as I am a techie at heart.

However, I want to move closer to my home (Punjab). I hate living in busy metros such as Delhi. Moreover, I can't afford a decent house in Delhi as most of the decent houses in Delhi are around 1 crore. Living in Noida is out of the picture. Now the only way I see of moving closer to my home state is just to get a Bank Job as rest of the govt jobs are not for CSE graduates.

There are no jobs for my profile in Chandigarh and even if they are they would pay extremely less and no job security as well.

I suck at solving aptitude questions as I haven't practiced them much. Now I would have to prepare for scratch. What do you guys recommend? What should I do? Thanks.

I concur 100% with what mitraark and sling-shot said. I'm a computer PG myself., but working for the last nearly 15 years in the financial sector. It took me 12 years to get a posting close to my hometown and that too only after suffering severe health issues *AND* pulling strings at the highest level. I've watched 2 friends of mine join the SBI lately, they were promised by some union people posting close to their native places and when the order came they were posted at the other end of kerala (Pathanamthitta)., without any possibility of shifting unless someone close to home retires or moves out.

Also there will be no "10 to 5" timing even in govt. banks - except for the lowermost cadre like the cashier, etc. I've seen our neighbourhood SBI manager go home on a daily basis at 8pm. (Mind you, compared with IT job timings... it might sound better :)

I suggest you talk to any of your relatives or close friends working in the banking sector before deciding on a move...

All the best!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
^^ Corroborating the above comment and adding the pain of slow (or no) career growth to the list. Also, working with non IT people is .. frustrating to say the least.

Source: I'm an SBI manager.

tkin

Back to school!!
IT has many challenges, the growth is slowing down, the competition is increasing. But if you are earning 11lpa with 5 years experience you don't need to go for bank, there will be plenty of opportunity for you. If you're not woman, chance of getting posting local branch in bank is minimum.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Better explore the entrepreneur in you. :Fingerx:

I am thinking of that. Thinking of starting something in import/export or IT. Got some friends and we can invest upto 15-20 lacs to start some sort of business. But for that I would have to leave my current job. A big risk considering marriage is on the cards in 1 year.

I concur 100% with what mitraark and sling-shot said. I'm a computer PG myself., but working for the last nearly 15 years in the financial sector. It took me 12 years to get a posting close to my hometown and that too only after suffering severe health issues *AND* pulling strings at the highest level. I've watched 2 friends of mine join the SBI lately, they were promised by some union people posting close to their native places and when the order came they were posted at the other end of kerala (Pathanamthitta)., without any possibility of shifting unless someone close to home retires or moves out.

Also there will be no "10 to 5" timing even in govt. banks - except for the lowermost cadre like the cashier, etc. I've seen our neighbourhood SBI manager go home on a daily basis at 8pm. (Mind you, compared with IT job timings... it might sound better :)

I suggest you talk to any of your relatives or close friends working in the banking sector before deciding on a move...

All the best!

I have one uncle who is a chief manager and he said he can pull some strings for me that to get me posted nearby if I clear the entrance test.

^^ Corroborating the above comment and adding the pain of slow (or no) career growth to the list. Also, working with non IT people is .. frustrating to say the least.

I know. I am not really fond of numbers and taxes. It's just that it's family vs career at this point. Frankly, if I had no family responsibility then I would have just gone to Bangalore and joined Microsoft (got an offer 1 year back and recently too). :(

IT has many challenges, the growth is slowing down, the competition is increasing. But if you are earning 11lpa with 5 years experience you don't need to go for bank, there will be plenty of opportunity for you. If you're not woman, chance of getting posting local branch in bank is minimum.

I understand. I know I am pretty good at IT. Moreover, I LOVE doing what I do. I know I will excel in this field. Problem comes out to be family vs career. :(

No there is no guarantee at all where you will be posted, plus work pressure is immense in banks nowadays, unless you're posted in some remote village, which is even worse, plus the pay would really suck compared to what you earn now, and the most important part, you won't feel good about the work you do.

You're fairly close to your home now, there are enough good quiet places to live in NCR region, you are probably better off in your current position now than anything else. Preparing for exams now would be unnecessary burden upon you. Try getting a job where you can control your own timings, maybe get more off days, work from home options, that might help.

I already have those. I am working from this entire week. I control my own timings. Moreover, I am good in my manager's eyes, as I get to approve leaves for other people and choose my own timings. But the problem is long term. I have my permanent home in punjab. My relatives are there. My family doesn't like living in Delhi as they want a "Punjabi" area. I can't live on rent for my entire life as I don't want to invest in NCR.

Nationalised banks transfer all over India. As I said earlier if you have connections, after initial few postings you could ensure postings in your general area. But there are no guarantees.

I am thinking of preparing for SBP (State Bank of Patiala). Any idea how should I proceed?

To all the people, thanks for the amazing response. Do you think moving into management would help? Many companies require managers irrespective of their work i.e. IT or non-IT. Shall I move into Project Management or something else? There should be job opportunities in Punjab/Chandigarh for that. Right?

PS: Is it possible to add a POLL at this point?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
There is a proposal to merge all the subsidiaries of SBI with itself. Not sure how advanced it is and also if State Bank of Patiala is in the list. (I remember one or two State Banks being absent from the list)
It may affect your posting too.

I cannot comment on your other queries as my knowledge is limited in this field. (I am in an entirely different profession and am sort of self - employed too)

Edit: If the formatting of above reply has come out wrong, it is the work of Tapatalk)

satinder

DELHIITE
Better do that you are happy to do in a job in IT.
In near future if you have the strength of leadership then try Management post in IT.

A friend in IT got Job in Himachal's local bank.
Similar opportunities can come. Try for this type of switching.
Wait for opportunity.
Improve your leadership skills or delegating skills etc. in line with management skills.
This will help you in future if any branch in Mohali etc will open by any company expanding their base.
You will be best suited for them.
You may get on few top positions in Management there.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Better do that you are happy to do in a job in IT.
In near future if you have the strength of leadership then try Management post in IT.

A friend in IT got Job in Himachal's local bank.
Similar opportunities can come. Try for this type of switching.
Wait for opportunity.
Improve your leadership skills or delegating skills etc. in line with management skills.
This will help you in future if any branch in Mohali etc will open by any company expanding their base.
You will be best suited for them.
You may get on few top positions in Management there.
Yes. That is a good option as well. Btw at first, I was shocked that how did my username change to my real name. My name is Satinder as well. ;)

theterminator

Wise Old Owl

100% true as I am a CSE graduate & a bank officer .... People think you are GOD when it comes to computers & since I have good typing speed ( practiced in college so I type without looking at the keyboard..big deal LOL) people think I know everything!!!! Trust me its a sh!t of an experience!

Just read this and it scared the **** out of me.

*www.quora.com/Is-it-a-good-choice-to-leave-IT-to-join-a-bank-as-PO

Everything in that article is right ... I leave home at 9:15 am & come back at 10:15-10:30 pm :shock: & still I leave a buttload of work to be done ... Deficiency of competent staff is the main problem. Being a PO means people expect everything from you. Responsibility is at its peak & recently Modi has made its far worse with his schemes (Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojna, Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojna, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bandhan Yojna, Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojna) Though these schemes are good for the poor but I don't like implementing it with banks.
This is just a small picture, you will be surprised to know that bankers have committed suicide due to immense workload & pressure from Management (search news in google). Hence, I suggest you to think twice before joining PSU banks. The only relief I get is reaching my home in my hometown at 10:30 pm :lol:

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
To be fair the author of that article was comparing his experience during probation to a white collar IT job. The first 4 years ( ~6 years if you join as a clerk) will let you experience the transfers from Kashmir to Kanyakumari, being overburdened with work, trying to keep your sanity while working with washed up colleagues , less income than expected (especially when you compare it with someone with an IT job) and even lesser when compared to the arduous work you'd be doing. It'd be worse if you don't get the promotion after you've put all the hard work. But it becomes better as you move up the career ladder (you find juniors working under you : time to take revenge! :p) and enhance your skills.

ashs1

Padawan
For SBP ,you have to give sbi associate banks exam( I assume you're choosing po ).. Probationary exams now have prelims and mains exams..then if you clear them, you have to appear for gd,interview..

Get ready to put in a LOT of practice as the competition is damn high..
SBI associate banks exam notification are yet to be announced this year, so think twice before switching jobs..

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
Hello everyone,

Just completed reading your post. Sounds like my own story. I am from Chandigarh and working in IT sector since last 4 years. After working for 2 years, I joined SBP as a PO and resigned after 11 months of service. Salary, work culture, postings and organization's attitude made the life miserable and hardly helped me with anything in my career. I still repent the 11 months period that I wasted in a PSU bank.

Please don't be under the impression that you'll be able to manage local postings for whole of your life. Ours was a 800+ batch who joined in July 2012 and by June 13' (when I resigned) almost ~100-150 had left by then and many others have taken that route later on.

It is no more a pensionable job now. I am not sure what job security means for you but I never wanted such a job which kills my interests at the cost of security. Worst part of this industry is that no one bothers. Management is least interested to work towards some change. Culture / work style were the biggest shock for me.

To sum up:

- Underpaid industry
- Management hardly cares what you feel as an employee
- Postings/work are never customized as per employee's interest or previous experience.
- Clerical job for the first two years atleast (When in probation)
- Fixed growth graph. However hard you work, you cannot jump the line
- 99% of tricity local postings (Chandigarh/Panchkula/Mohali) were given to girls and all boys were posted out. I can never work in such an environment
- Unprofessional overage workstaff with no zeal to work at all.
- Majority of batchmates who are still working are those who just don't have an option for a career switch.

My suggestion would be to get a job in IT in tricity if location is the foremost reason why you wan't to switch. But please take ample time to understand all aspects of a job in PSU bank if you still want to make a switch.

Top Bottom