Switch to Bank Job from IT? Yes or No

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
@Night-Rider - Let me know what kind of poll you want to add, I'll do that.

I don't think it is needed now. Thanks for responding though. :)

For SBP ,you have to give sbi associate banks exam( I assume you're choosing po ).. Probationary exams now have prelims and mains exams..then if you clear them, you have to appear for gd,interview..

Get ready to put in a LOT of practice as the competition is damn high..
SBI associate banks exam notification are yet to be announced this year, so think twice before switching jobs..

Thanks. But I guess after going through the rest of the replies, it's starting to make sense that is not worth it. :)

Just completed reading your post. Sounds like my own story. I am from Chandigarh and working in IT sector since last 4 years. After working for 2 years, I joined SBP as a PO and resigned after 11 months of service. Salary, work culture, postings and organization's attitude made the life miserable and hardly helped me with anything in my career. I still repent the 11 months period that I wasted in a PSU bank.

Please don't be under the impression that you'll be able to manage local postings for whole of your life. Ours was a 800+ batch who joined in July 2012 and by June 13' (when I resigned) almost ~100-150 had left by then and many others have taken that route later on.

It is no more a pensionable job now. I am not sure what job security means for you but I never wanted such a job which kills my interests at the cost of security. Worst part of this industry is that no one bothers. Management is least interested to work towards some change. Culture / work style were the biggest shock for me.

To sum up:

- Underpaid industry
- Management hardly cares what you feel as an employee
- Postings/work are never customized as per employee's interest or previous experience.
- Clerical job for the first two years atleast (When in probation)
- Fixed growth graph. However hard you work, you cannot jump the line
- 99% of tricity local postings (Chandigarh/Panchkula/Mohali) were given to girls and all boys were posted out. I can never work in such an environment
- Unprofessional overage workstaff with no zeal to work at all.
- Majority of batchmates who are still working are those who just don't have an option for a career switch.

My suggestion would be to get a job in IT in tricity if location is the foremost reason why you wan't to switch. But please take ample time to understand all aspects of a job in PSU bank if you still want to make a switch.

Thanks for the response man. I guess your response makes a lot of sense and I agree with you. I guess you have taken the beta test for me. :) Btw, just curious, did you manage to get a job in tricity?

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I really appreciate the time that you guys took As akshay mentioned, I would be sticking to the IT industry and would be looking for a job closer to home. On the other hand, I would also keep on exploring the entrepreneur in me. It's always good to keep a backup plan.

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
I don't think it is needed now. Thanks for responding though. :)

Thanks. But I guess after going through the rest of the replies, it's starting to make sense that is not worth it. :)

Thanks for the response man. I guess your response makes a lot of sense and I agree with you. I guess you have taken the beta test for me. :) Btw, just curious, did you manage to get a job in tricity?

I switched back to my previous company when I left bank. You can find some good companies in Chandigarh/Mohali. Let me know If I can help in any way.

Top Bottom