Suggestion needed for a Smartphone (Budget ~25k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Symbian ^3 is loosing grounds to android as time passes. Guess nokia wil soon join the android bandwagon.

I will vouch for HTC android based phones anyday. But don't understand why desire hd is not that desirable. Anybody want to throw some light on this? desiibond??

battery life. HTC Evo 4G with a 1500mAh battery had very poor battery life. HTC was so dumb that they used a smaller 1230mAh battery for D:HD and it shows. And given how much some Android apps kill battery life, you always need to be extra bit careful as to which app you are going to install. what you do is get Desire HD and then get this: [HLI-DesireSL] Buy Mugen Power Extended Battery for For HTC Desire / HTC Bravo / HTC A8181 / HTC Epic / T-Mobile HTC Desire / Vodafone HTC Desire 1600mAh

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Nexus S with latest OS 2.3 and with 1500mAh battery should be a good option,

Available in eBay,price around 32K (above ur budget,but worth getting it)

Only drawback in Nexus S is there is No memory card slot,we have rely on 16GB internal memory.

OVERPRICED.

Symbian ^3 is loosing grounds to android as time passes. Guess nokia wil soon join the android bandwagon.

i doubt they'll. for entry level, Symbian rocks (no BADA) & for the upper section, it'll be Meamo & "maybe" Win Mobile 7.

I will vouch for HTC android based phones anyday*.

* till your pocket allows.

Edit: Meego. as Meamo is EOL i suppose. also if H/W requirements are low & if it can get into sub15k, Android may have a hard time.

Last edited:

pauldmps

Banned
N900 have a good keyboard so no problem if it relies on resistive, capacitive or no touchscreen.

3-4 moths for rumors or leaked photos to surface. another 3-4 months to get it announced & than 2-3 moths to get it launched & add 2 month more to get it launched here & avl freely = 2012.

Nah! The N9 might (a big "might") be launched in the WMC next month, if you believe the reports (& rumors). But no guarantee whether it will shift with meego or s^3.

Nokia is taking too long in developing their OS. Therefore it would be too soon to claim that it would throw out Android from the mid-range. When Meego would be just an infant, Android would be leaps & bounds ahead.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
@OP
Go for Desire @23K,

S-LCD vs AMOLED?? Both have their own postives

Spot the difference: HTC Desire's SLCD versus AMOLED -- Engadget
If the package is imported after OCT-10, then most probably it should be the one with S-LCD.

No extra battery needed for normal use IMO, coz most of them are cheap chinese alternatives, its hard to find genuine ones and even those are rated high but in reality operation levels are much lesser than stock battery. BatteryBoss *batteryboss.org/Calls Out False Capacity Claims! In short, Stick to Stock battery, use custom ROM's to improve battery life :).

The amount of ROM's available for Desire will make sure that you won't get bored of it that soon, you have plethora of options to play with :D

For those worried about warranty over ebay deals, well...... Depends on seller and I myself bought from eBay, with 1yr HTC India warranty, so no issues. Don't fall for deals with dealer warranty, look for HTC warranty.

Last edited:

aks_npti

Right off the assembly line
Hi Dhanraj & other members,

I have joined this wonderful forum today and this is my first post. Sorry for it being a bit long….I hope I am forgiven.:smile:

Even I am looking for an Andriod based smart phone however still have struck with the various options and unable to zero upon any particular model.

My requirements and budget are pretty much similar to you.

Frankly, speaking I was waiting for Motorola Droid 2 to be launched in India for last couple of months but it seems Motorola have decided to keep Indian markets as the dumping ground of the old models only. The lead time taken by Motorola to launch mobiles in other markets after launching the same in US is huge and it a deal breakers for many.:?

Thanks to HTC for launching HTC Desire Z & Desire HD in India. Kudos to HTC for at least launching models on global platform at the same time.:clap2:

Coming back to the various options, though Desire Z & Desire HD both are pretty much capable phones but their battery is sure a let down.

Desire HD score over Desire Z on below parameters:

• Screen Size (4.3” Vs 3.7”)
  • CPU Speed(1 GHz Vs 800 MHz)
  • RAM(786 MB Vs 512 MB)
  • External Memory Card ( 8 GB included in package)
  • Camera ( 8 MP Vs 5 MP)
  • Dolby® Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound

However Desire Z has an upper hand over Desire HD on the below parameters:

• Cheaper( around INR 1154)
  • Battery Capacity (1300 mAh Vs 1230 mAh)
  • Slideout Query Keyboard

I really wish Desire HD would have come with some more batter power:cry:

I did a small comparo between Desire HD, Desire Z, Droid 2 , Nexus S and Galaxy I9000 and the winner ( in my opinion) is in this order : Nexus S> Galaxy I9000> Droid 2 > Desire HD > Desire Z but again Nexus S and Droid 2 is still not launched.

I would really follow this post as it might end up helping me too.

Regards,
Aks

Last edited:
OP
D

dhanraj

Broken In
Hi Aks... Welcome to the forum.. :)

seems HTC Desire is the winner so far...

are there any HTC Desire HD users on the forum?
can you provide your inputs on the HD's battery life based on your usage..

ladoo1985

Broken In
Hi dhanraj & AKS,
I'm also stuck on the same thing, u can check in my post too...but the comments that i got from the other forum members is that wait for another 3-4 months or go for Desire HD.

By what time will u guys be buying the handset coz i'm gonna buy in another 2 weeks from now and i'm still stuck on that million dollar question....which handset to go for...??

Regarding Desire Z...it is having a serious hinge problem...check the below link.
HTC Desire Z review -- Engadget Mobile

aks_npti

@ ladoo1985,

Welcome to the bandwagon of confused buyer.

I think my time horizon can be 1 month(max).

@ All,

While googling i came across with a piece of news that Motorola is going to launch Defy tomorrow in the Indian markets however I am not sure of the authenticity of this information.

@ Dhanraj,

Why not Samsung Galaxy I9000 ?

Last edited:
OP
D

dhanraj

Broken In
@ ladoo1985,

Welcome to the bandwagon of confused buyer.

I think my time horizon can be 1 month(max).

@ All,

While googling i came across with a piece of news that Motorola is going to launch Defy tomorrow in the Indian markets however I am not sure of the authenticity of this information.

@ Dhanraj,

Why not Samsung Galaxy I9000 ?

Below are just my views based on the response from forums & googling, i may be incorrect.. please correct me if i am wrong..

Cons of SGS:
1. The Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) uses the RFS file system which makes the phone bit laggy as per reviews but there are some patches to fix this i guess..
2. The SGS has TouchWiz 3.0 which doesnt seems as appealing to me (just my view) as the HTC Sense UI on the HTC counter products.
3. Somehow the plasticy built on SGS doesnt seem that good as that on HTC Desire and Desire HD.
4. I hear HTC released updates for their phones at a better and faster frequency than Samsung..

Pros of SGS:
1. SGS has a 4" AMOLED display which i hear is far better than the screen on HTC Desire and Desire HD.
2. SGS has a better graphic engine than HTC Desire.. (atleast on paper.. no idea if it actually performs..). Reviews says otherwise though when benchmarked.. maybe the current games are not optimized enough to utilize it efficiently..
3. SGS has better battery life than HTC Desire..

You guys may add more points to it..

well.. so its a bit confusing on which one to go for..

Also i needed to know if the AMOLED based HTC Desires are available in market..
whats the price difference between HTC Desire with AMOLED screen & S-LCD Screen?

Wont the HTC Desire HD survive atleast a days use? (a few hours of surfing, some texting, abt a hour of calling.. and some multimedia...)

aks_npti

Below are just my views based on the response from forums & googling, i may be incorrect.. please correct me if i am wrong..

Cons of SGS:
1. The Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) uses the RFS file system which makes the phone bit laggy as per reviews but there are some patches to fix this i guess..
2. The SGS has TouchWiz 3.0 which doesnt seems as appealing to me (just my view) as the HTC Sense UI on the HTC counter products.
3. Somehow the plasticy built on SGS doesnt seem that good as that on HTC Desire and Desire HD.
4. I hear HTC released updates for their phones at a better and faster frequency than Samsung..

Pros of SGS:
1. SGS has a 4" AMOLED display which i hear is far better than the screen on HTC Desire and Desire HD.
2. SGS has a better graphic engine than HTC Desire.. (atleast on paper.. no idea if it actually performs..). Reviews says otherwise though when benchmarked.. maybe the current games are not optimized enough to utilize it efficiently..
3. SGS has better battery life than HTC Desire..

You guys may add more points to it..

well.. so its a bit confusing on which one to go for..

Also i needed to know if the AMOLED based HTC Desires are available in market..
whats the price difference between HTC Desire with AMOLED screen & S-LCD Screen?

Wont the HTC Desire HD survive atleast a days use? (a few hours of surfing, some texting, abt a hour of calling.. and some multimedia...)

To add few more points to Galaxy:

• Lighter in weight
  • More Internal Memory( 16 GB) compared to 1.5 GB on internal memory in Desire Z and Desire HD
  • Front camera...not available in Desire Z and Desire HD

Regarding scenario in next 1 month and onwards:

Samsung Nexus S might be launched but again it have same plastic casing body which might doest not look good to many, however i am willing to ignore that. Only concern to me is the pricing of Nexus S , as per Infibeam it is 24,000 INR but on comparision with Samsung Galaxy which is not as superior as Nexus is still priced at 27K+ .

One more phone that seems pretty interesting to me is LG Optimus 2X but again it is atleast 3 months far and moreover it will be priced 30k+.

I dont think that HTC HD battery will not last even for a day but I am not sure. Any users please confirm ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Cons of SGS:

2. make Smasung mobiles look more like java phones. stock android looks are way ahead of it.
4. true. even the lowest android from HTC, Wildfire got Froyo update but Samsung rolling SGS Froyo update in many counties now. no news about the Galaxy duo of 3 & 5.

OP
D

dhanraj

Broken In
i read.. Nexus S & Motorola Defy is due to launch in India soon..

How is Samsung Defy? is it comparable to the likes of HTC Desire Or SGS?

vishurocks

Journeyman
I think nexus s is going to be pricer than galaxy s. If it is priced equally, then surely it's a better choice than sgs, coz it doesn't have gps issues and lagginess of sgs. And second it has vanilla android, far better than crappy touchwiz

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
NO. Defy is still running Eclair. so stay away from it until you want a mobile that can survive a good everyday beating.

ladoo1985

Broken In
I think nexus s is going to be pricer than galaxy s. If it is priced equally, then surely it's a better choice than sgs, coz it doesn't have gps issues and lagginess of sgs. And second it has vanilla android, far better than crappy touchwiz

I thinks SGS will now be coming with S-LCD as there is already a shortage of SGS in India due to SAMOLED [As Flipkart & Adexmart both are showing "Out of Stock"] and likely they'll be reducing the price of SGS to may be 21-23k and launching Nexus S within a price bracket of 24-26k.

And As we all know SGS-2 is also going to launch in another 3-4 months...so there is a win win situation for samsung with either of the handsets being sold....the profit is going to SAMSUNG only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom