[suggest a phone] - Does having a removable battery makes any difference

Gaurav

In the zone
Hi all,

I have been trying to decide upon a phone (android only) but one thing always kept me confusing is that if a removable battery is a plus point in phones.

Earlier I decided to purchase Samsung Galaxy S-II but now there are phones having better display resolution and built quality (like Xperia P, Xperia S and Xperia SL all these phones doesn't have user removable battery and some doesn't even have expansion slot)

I am currently using a Samsung I5801, I have rooted this phone and installed a custom ROM on it (Kyrillos v9.6) after installing this custom ROM I was surprised with the performance of this phone (great work).
Rooting and installing custom ROM is one of my main purposes of purchasing android phone and I think a removable battery and expansion sd card slot is a key requirement for this.

Any suggestions for my requirement please.

Budget : 30K (stretched to max.. cannot go further)
Display : atleast 4 inch
Dual core processor only atleast 1 GHz
RAM 512 (atleast)
Android OS : 2.2 (should be upgradeable)
Should have internal memory of 2GB atleast with expansion slot for memory.

(motorola is a strictly no no.)

Thanks

techlover

In the zone
i wont suggest to go for LG ....not so good after sale services...
hey u can also see Galaxy S3..it got a recent price drop and now available around 34k....u may get it a little 1k cheaper from local city shops....also Note 2 launch in India may help in drop of the price

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
best thing about LG 4X HD is UI is very much like stock Android with very little UI enhancement. But the bad part is there won't be any JB update anytime soon. But without any locking policy, one can try custom rom without worrying about loosing warranty.

i wont suggest to go for LG ....not so good after sale services...

LG, Samsung, Nokia. None of them offer any exceptional service. Most of the time they'll fool customer saying there is physical damages.

funskar

Padawan
^Still Nokia is Dell in mobiles if ASS is concerned. Way better than all other brands.
+1
Hi all,

I have been trying to decide upon a phone (android only) but one thing always kept me confusing is that if a removable battery is a plus point in phones.

Earlier I decided to purchase Samsung Galaxy S-II but now there are phones having better display resolution and built quality (like Xperia P, Xperia S and Xperia SL all these phones doesn't have user removable battery and some doesn't even have expansion slot)

I am currently using a Samsung I5801, I have rooted this phone and installed a custom ROM on it (Kyrillos v9.6) after installing this custom ROM I was surprised with the performance of this phone (great work).
Rooting and installing custom ROM is one of my main purposes of purchasing android phone and I think a removable battery and expansion sd card slot is a key requirement for this.

Any suggestions for my requirement please.

Budget : 30K (stretched to max.. cannot go further)
Display : atleast 4 inch
Dual core processor only atleast 1 GHz
RAM 512 (atleast)
Android OS : 2.2 (should be upgradeable)
Should have internal memory of 2GB atleast with expansion slot for memory.

(motorola is a strictly no no.)

Thanks

Keep eye on here..
You can grab S3 for 30-32k or S2 for 22-23k

Homeshop18 super deals/

aroraanant

Explorer
non removable battery doesn't makes any difference.
All the apple products which are considered to be the best out there comes with non removable battery, so that is not a piece of concern atleast according to me.
HTC One X is the best option for you, use a 10% off coupon on ebay or opt for the free gift that ebay is offering.

Sarath

iDota
Well non removable batteries mean that the phone can be slimmer and also a higher capacity can be put due to space savings.

My brother's iPhone4 which had a battery issue just 6months into its use needed a replacement. It cost around 4k after much haggling. Initial quote was around 6k :O Batteries are not covered under warranty so this was a bummer. Must've been an isolated case as my ipod which is 3 years old still runs on whatever is powering it since birth.

Removable battery: The only advantage is cost effectiveness in case of a failure as you have no service related charges. Just buy a new one and swap it.

-----

Also what is the use of expansion slot in todays day? Most phones come with 16GB by default.

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
Well non removable batteries mean that the phone can be slimmer and also a higher capacity can be put due to space savings.

My brother's iPhone4 which had a battery issue just 6months into its use needed a replacement. It cost around 4k after much haggling. Initial quote was around 6k :O Batteries are not covered under warranty so this was a bummer. Must've been an isolated case as my ipod which is 3 years old still runs on whatever is powering it since birth.

Removable battery: The only advantage is cost effectiveness in case of a failure as you have no service related charges. Just buy a new one and swap it.

Yeah, you are right. Also it saves the time involved in going to a service center (you can also troubleshoot the problem by yourself also by simply replacing the battery with another one temporarily)
-----

Also what is the use of expansion slot in todays day? Most phones come with 16GB by default.
I can compromise on that part..

I liked this LG Optimus 4X HD, but I am confused as some reviews has said that phone's screen is not as much responsive as others in the same category, moreover Jelly Bean update is also not confirmed by the company. Custom ROMs also not easily doable on this model. Am I right.?

Last edited:
Top Bottom