Sony Xperia 2013 Thread

ajaymailed

In the zone
GSMArena compares Xperia Z with Galaxy S4.
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. Sony Xperia Z: When worlds collide - GSMArena.com

Hardware overview- Xperia Z Wins
->Xperia Z is great design, One of the Handsomest Phone, over the hyper glaze finish of Galaxy S4, unimpressive design and lack of premium feel.
-> Z has IP 57 Certified for dust & water resistance, non-user-replaceable battery, fingerprints marks on glass finish while Galaxy S4 is 16 grams lighter, 2mm shorter and 1mm narrower and has removable back over.

Screen comparison: Galaxy S4 Wins
-> S4 has better sunlight legibility and viewing angles than Z.
-> AMOLED Screen is better color saturation and contrast
-> Mobile Bravia Engine makes big difference while watching videos & images.

Battery Life : Galaxy S4 Wins
-> Talk Time Zs- 16:03 Vs 13:53- S4
-> Web Browsing Z - 6:37 Vs 8:42 -S4 (Its really surprising how Xperia Zs LCD is consuming more power than S4 during browsing).
-> Video Playback Z- 5:39 Vs 10:16 - S4

Benchmarks
-> Galaxy S4s Snapdragon 600 is more advanced design compared to Xperia Zs Snapdragon S4 so it will produce better benchmarks. The Exynos 5 Octa Model is not tested for review, its likely to perform better than Snapdragon 600.

Loudspeaker test and Audio quality: Galaxy S4 Wins
Z has 60.1 db Vs S4 70 db
The Xperia Z is not that far behind its rival here, though, and for most purposes the two can be considered on par.

Camera interface and features:Tie
-> The Sony Xperia Z settings looks better organized and makes framing easier, while the newly adopted camera UI of the Galaxy S4 takes time getting used to. The Samsung flagship however makes up for that with a number of advanced shooting modes.

Still Camera Comparision: Galaxy S4 Wins

First, let's talk Field of View (FoV), how much each camera captures. According to EXIF info, the Samsung Galaxy S4 camera is a 31mm (in 35mm equiv.), while the Sony Xperia Z is wider at 28mm. The difference is noticeable, but not too big a deal.

In the Superior Auto mode the Sony Xperia Z produces photos with pleasing, albeit slightly oversaturated colors. The images shot in Normal Auto, appear more natural and lack that overprocessed look. Since most of the users will use the default Superior Auto (which usually does better anyway), we shot our samples with this mode. Either way, though, the resolved detail is hardly spectacular and noticeably lower compared to Galaxy S4's samples and the noise levels are only average. There's also noticable purple fringing and while the dynamic range is on par between the two, the Galaxy S4 has the upper hand in terms of contrast.
*s18.postimg.org/4qfo5scgp/gsmarena_200.jpg
The Galaxy S4 exposes it low-light shots better than the Xperia Z's, no matter of the shooting mode. It lets in slightly more noise, but it also manages to preserve more detail and produce better colors than the Sony flagship. The Xperia Z picture quality improves though when set to shoot on Superior Auto (which automatically switch to Night Scene), in which case things are closer, but still slightly in favor of the Samsung flagship.
*s15.postimg.org/o7ttvy0zv/gsmarena_007.jpg
*s18.postimg.org/belgjvaqh/gsmarena_010.jpg

The LED flash on the Samsung Galaxy S4 is a lot more powerful than the one used in the Sony Xperia Z and this is main reason for the disappointing indoor performance of Xperia Z when compared to the Galaxy S4.

And here come the 100% crops where you can clearly see the Galaxy S4 superiority.
*s23.postimg.org/qc99mcmiz/gsmarena_009.jpg

Finally, the cloudy weather was no sweat for the Samsung Galaxy S4 - more than enough detail, good colors and contrast, while the Sony Xperia Z got the exposure wrong and produced a noisy sample with an only average amount of fine detail
*s17.postimg.org/ekuet0e8v/gsmarena_013.jpg

Anyway, the Samsung Galaxy S4 is capable of shooting a full-res 360-degree panorama, which results in photos of about 60MP resolution (roughly 20000x3000px). The picture quality is amazing and stitching is very good. Because the Xperia Z can't do 360-degree panos, we only covered the same viewing angle with the two.

The Sony Xperia Z also offers very-well stitched panorama samples with good contrast, but that's the only good we can say. The detail could have been better, the resolution is very low at about 5000x1080px, and the whole thing looks more like a video screenshot (which it probably is given the resolution) rather than a shot worthy of a flagship.

Camcorder quality: Samsung Galaxy S4

The Galaxy S4 and the Xperia Z have some unique features too - the Galaxy S4 can pause and resume the video capturing and it does the cool dual-recording which lets you capture footage with its two cameras simultatenously. The Xperia Z on the other hand offers HDR video recording, but sadly enabling that doesn't do as big a difference as we hoped. It still adds some detail in the highlight areas, which can make the difference between a usable and a poor video on some occasions.

*s24.postimg.org/pho6xiihh/gsmarena_300.jpg
Despite doing worse than the Galaxy S III, the Galaxy S4 was still able to outresolve the Xperia Z and produce generally more pleasing videos.

Last edited:
OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
@phablet
Will anything above 6 inch be possible to use as phone?( just imagining how will I hold it up against my ear)

It will have minimal bezel.

@2H Flagship

Nice great to see improved mobile engine though what happened with 2k screen thing
Have idea of dimensions like thickness and weight for it?
Is it true? Xenon flash cannot provide continuous video light?
How will be the design ? Xperia z inspired? Or different ?

2K screen was considered for phablet, not 2H flagship.
No info on dimensions
Yes, there would be an additional LED flash for video
No info on design either

@iphone rival

Hmm screen downsized rest good...pricing ?

40k or so. Though this may not launch in India most probably

Check my replies in bold

ajaymailed

In the zone
S4 is better but xz is not far behind so doesn't matter which one we buy we will be the winner.
S4 is not without issues, its video recording quality seems to be worse than S3, FOV is narrower. S4 is surely going be much more costly then Z, around 45K competing with price of HTC One/Butterfly and iPhone 5. HTC One can give a better fight to S4, its OIS & Zoe are really good, clearly better than what S4 can offer, but 4 MP Ultrapixel didnt work out that well as per reviewers, It others areas like benchmarks, software, screen quality, One tried to match S4 if not perform better.

quagmire

Allllright !
Upcoming Sony Xperia flagships
Xperia phablet

6.44" 1080p with MBE2
2/4 GB RAM
MSM8974 snapdragon 800 2.3ghz
Adreno 330
3500mAh battery
8 mp/13 mp Exmor RS camera
6mm thin
32 GB Internal Memory, microSD expansion
BT 4.0, NFC, LTE, MHL TV out
IP 55/57 water/dust resistance
Xperia Z like design

Xperia 2H flagship

5" 1080p 2000:1 Contrast screen with X-Reality video processing engine
MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 2.3ghz
Adreno 330
2/4GB RAM
32/64GB Internal, microSD expansion
20 MP (8mp downsampled) Large sensor, slightly bigger than N8 sensor. Sony/Carl Zeiss Optics
BT4.0/NFC/LTE/MHL
IP 55/57 Water/dust resistance
Xenon Flash
3000mAh battery

Xperia Iphone rival

4.0-4.3" 720p HD Reality Display
MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 2.3ghz
Adreno 330
2/4GB RAM
32/64GB Internal, microSD expansion
20 MP (8mp downsampled) Large sensor, slightly bigger than N8 sensor. Sony/Carl Zeiss Optics
BT4.0/NFC/LTE/MHL
IP 55/57 Water/dust resistance
2500mAh battery

Well like Google, looks like best of Sony comes in three sizes : 6.44", 5", 4.3".. :wink:
I guess all three will cost more than SXZ..
The earlier these release the better for Sony.. If priced correctly 2H flagship can trump S4 and One to be the best phone of the year..

5fusion

Journeyman
S4 is better but xz is not far behind so doesn't matter which one we buy we will be the winner.
mee would pick X:Z just for the design alone:). no matter how good h/w samsung throws..sick of their pathetic design, launching same looking phones everytime:yuck:

dhiman33

Broken In
Hey All, currently I'm waiting for xperia sp but I think it's going to be priced near 28k. So is there any plan of sony to release nice phones<24k (other than xperia L)??

quagmire

Allllright !
Looks Xperia L (or rather the model b/w L and SP) just got some competition - HTC First

Platform: MSM8960 (Dual Core)
Ram: 1GB
Display: 4.3 inch @ 720p resolution
Android Version: 4.1.2
Sense Version: 4.5
Rear Camera = 5M
Front Camera = 1.6M
No SD Card

99$ with 2 year contract in US.. So I predict a price around 20k if HTC decides to release in India..

Superayush

Tech lover
Looks Xperia L (or rather the model b/w L and SP) just got some competition - HTC First

Rear Camera = 5M
Front Camera = 1.6M
No SD Card

99$ with 2 year contract in US.. So I predict a price around 20k if HTC decides to release in India..

Go home htc you are drunk....

Xperia pls make sp around 21k I like it (though I know you won't :/)

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon

Rear Camera = 5M
Front Camera = 1.6M
No SD Card

No one wants a Facebook phone..It dumb too dumb, No use of having a facebook homescreen. Only thing is it will eat your DATA

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
No one wants a Facebook phone..It dumb too dumb, No use of having a facebook homescreen. Only thing is it will eat your DATA

I loved the concept of Chatheads... Everything else was meh...

Chatheads for Whatsapp and GTalk.... thats what I want now...

red dragon

Master troll
How many of you have seen z/zl and Butterfly or ip5 side by side?
Why Sony used such a low quality panel in their flagship?

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
How many of you have seen z/zl and Butterfly or ip5 side by side?

For the 100th time, low quality panels are only on demo units. Retail units have screens as good or better than phones you mentioned.

In the other forum (can't name it here but you are also a member there) one guy was pissed off seeing demo unit but I told him retail units are different. A few days later he bought the Z and now he's a happy camper and is absolutely loving the Z.

And the reason those quality panels were used in demo and some retail units in Germany and a few other countries is that there was a shortage of 5 inch 1080p Sharp panels when Z went into production and hence Sony had to use lower quality JDC panels in demo and some retail units.

5fusion

Journeyman
thats one crazy thing sony did. at least an IPS would have done the job. though that doesnt refrain me from going for it as the sexy design covers up for everything:)
there's always something or the other missing in all phones, even flagships:yaaawwn:. looks like every company do it intentionally:punch:

Top Bottom