Sony Xperia 2013 Thread

thegrinreaper

Broken In
I had heard ( gsmarena) that Xperia z doesn't have good contrast.. Can any1 confirm ( personally , not From some site...if site then mention)

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
That's due miscalibration in the unit they received. In my Xperia Z review ill include my Own contrast, white and black levels and color accuracy data

rider

as Kratos
If I compare Xperia Z with iPhone 4's retina screen how much is the difference in contrast and viewing angles?

That Ad!
[youtube]9Pp7nDmb5K4[/youtube]

Launch date confirmed for 6th March!

expected price would be 40-42k.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Around 600:1 but those are of early batches with faulty calibration. Properly calibrated would be usual 1000:1.

Viewing angles horizontal upto 70 degrees and vertical 45 degrees you wont find much difference.

180/90 degree is a different story but then who looks at the screen from those angles. For watching a movie or game with a friend its fine. Much better than S

rider

as Kratos
Around 600:1 but those are of early batches with faulty calibration. Properly calibrated would be usual 1000:1.

Viewing angles horizontal upto 70 degrees and vertical 45 degrees you wont find much difference.

180/90 degree is a different story but then who looks at the screen from those angles. For watching a movie or game with a friend its fine. Much better than S

Why sony why? 441ppi screen but such in such a low contrast. Maza kirkara hogaya. Do you have any idea why sony don't use S-LCD technology?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
1080p on a phone is totally unnecessary... Wastes processing power and battery drains faster, with no visible improvement in display. This is just a spec race, and no company can afford to stand still and improve existing tech. They just have to keep leaping forward, which is sad.

Also, Sony phones won't succeed in India because their dealer network is very poor compared to Samsung. My brother contacted a Sony phones dealer, the only one in 3 districts in Western Maharastra, to open a new retail shop for Sony phones. The margins offered were pathetic... Only 4% on MRP + 250 rupees on each phone sold above their quota. No wonder Samsung sells 10x more phones than Sony in India...

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Rider, contrast ratio I already mentioned is not 600 on retail devices. Asian models have proper calibrated screens. I'll measure contrast ratio of Indian model and let you know.

Also Sony is using IPS panel but the viewing angles are affected slightly due to Opticontrast layer sony uses. It improves on angle image quality sacrificing viewing angles.

The panel is NOT of lower quality. It covers NTSC 100% color gamut, something you dont find in most high end laptop and monitors either.

tkin

Back to school!!
1080p on a phone is totally unnecessary... Wastes processing power and battery drains faster, with no visible improvement in display. This is just a spec race, and no company can afford to stand still and improve existing tech. They just have to keep leaping forward, which is sad.

Also, Sony phones won't succeed in India because their dealer network is very poor compared to Samsung. My brother contacted a Sony phones dealer, the only one in 3 districts in Western Maharastra, to open a new retail shop for Sony phones. The margins offered were pathetic... Only 4% on MRP + 250 rupees on each phone sold above their quota. No wonder Samsung sells 10x more phones than Sony in India...
A bit low it seems :|

We can't help it if Sony digs its own grave like this.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Mobile Store puts up Xperia Z for pre order @ Rs.40000

Sony Xperia Z, purple - The Mobile Store: Buy Online at Lowest Prices in India - Mobile Phones, Tablets, Cell Phones, Accessories, Batteries, Bluetooth, Chargers and more

rider

as Kratos
I'd say IPS takes the cake, check the Nexus 4 screen ;) ;)
Dude, I know everything about Nexus 4. IPS screens are good screens but takes more power than S-LCD3. So overall S-LCD3 is the best.

Totally agree with you man. 1080p screen is pretty much useless. Scientifically a human eye can not differentiate pixel richness above 300ppi with the distance of 2 feet that normal people use. This is why apple first introduced with this technology called retina display. I will not surprised if these phone manufacture companies start selling flagship phones with 4k screen in couple of years with above 5.5" size.
And about marketing and margin you are correct. All sony products have very less margin compared to other brands.

Mobile Store puts up Xperia Z for pre order @ Rs.40000

Sony Xperia Z, purple - The Mobile Store: Buy Online at Lowest Prices in India - Mobile Phones, Tablets, Cell Phones, Accessories, Batteries, Bluetooth, Chargers and more

Seriously overpriced. :?

Rider, contrast ratio I already mentioned is not 600 on retail devices. Asian models have proper calibrated screens. I'll measure contrast ratio of Indian model and let you know.

Also Sony is using IPS panel but the viewing angles are affected slightly due to Opticontrast layer sony uses. It improves on angle image quality sacrificing viewing angles.

The panel is NOT of lower quality. It covers NTSC 100% color gamut, something you dont find in most high end laptop and monitors either.
Please explain the difference between angle image quality and viewing angles. I didn't get it. NTSC 100% colour gamut sounds awesome. :)

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
rider, watch this video

OptiContrast is what Sony uses in its BRAVIA TVs. Basically its a resin layer that is placed between the panel and the touch panel. It boosts contrast when viewing on angle and reduces reflections as you can see here

*i.imgur.com/UQdneyz.jpg

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Xperia Z screen vs Galaxy S2 and LG Optimus G screen

*i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/sonyvietmedia/xperia_z/xperia_z_S2_G_pro_1.jpg
*i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/sonyvietmedia/xperia_z/xperia_z_S2_G_pro_5.jpg
*i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/sonyvietmedia/xperia_z/xperia_z_S2_G_pro_6.jpg

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Apparently the MRP for this month (pre budget) has been fixed at Rs.37990. By next month it will be Rs.39990 or up.

@37990 MRP I would expect street price of around 34.5-35k.

Top Bottom