Sony Ericsson Live With Walkman - ICS update and other discussion

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I bought Sony Ericsson Live With Walkman about a week back. I had been checking of updates on the phone but was told that everything was up to date. Then I realised the update to Ice Cream Sandwich is offered via PC software. Today I have installed the companion software and it says 4.1.B.0.431 is the Ice Cream Sandwich version available for it.
It is currently on 2.3.4.

I have read somewhere in the forum about problems with ICS update for this phone. Just want to confirm if I should do it or avoid this update?

Is ICS generally considered to be better than Gingerbread in managing battery life?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I have read many users facing problems connecting with a Wifi network after ICS update on Xperia Arc S and other Xperia phones... You will have to check user reviews on forums before taking the plunge...

It is surprising how such major companies don't have access to decent drivers to update their phones... They should as well use opensource hardware like TI OMAP...

Sony has failed to keep up. All their phones are always 6 months behind Samsung and HTC... Till their phones are released, other manufacturers start offering more superior hardware...

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Sony has updated their almost entire 2011 Xperia lineup. Try counting other manufacturers and you won't even come close to the number of phones Sony has updated.

Sure there are some issues but Sony is going to iron out the bugs. At least they updated their phones.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I really appreciate Sony for providing this ICS update.

Battery life is not good at present. I believe the phone hardly lasts a day and the recharging needs some time too.

This may lead to some problems in the future due to:
1. Same port used for both charging and connecting to PC
2. Needs recharging often
3. Compared to a Nokia 2mm charger pin, this microUSB connector seems to have a higher risk of getting spoiled due to regular use / improper force applied while connecting.

samudragupta

Youngling
i got an issue after the ics update... the phone randomly switches from silent to general profile... big pain in the a*s. other wise no issues... the UI seemed to have improved and is more smooth than before...

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
My phone memory is already getting low. I have already moved all movable applications using App2SD.

1. How to know what is using up the memory?
2. There are some crap things like PopCap Games taking up valuable space and they are running in the background too. And they are non-uninstallable !

i got an issue after the ics update... the phone randomly switches from silent to general profile... big pain in the a*s. other wise no issues... the UI seemed to have improved and is more smooth than before...

Thank you very much for that information.

3. Has there been any firmware updates after this ICS one? Any information about a possible fix?

4. What do you feel about battery life pre and post ICS?

5. How is the phone memory usage affected - is there more or less free phone memory after ICS?

6. What about uninstallable useless junk in the new firmware?

Last edited:

papul1993

not a newbie.....
My phone memory is already getting low. I have already moved all movable applications using App2SD.

1. How to know what is using up the memory?
2. There are some crap things like PopCap Games taking up valuable space and they are running in the background too. And they are non-uninstallable !

Thank you very much for that information.

3. Has there been any firmware updates after this ICS one? Any information about a possible fix?

4. What do you feel about battery life pre and post ICS?

5. How is the phone memory usage affected - is there more or less free phone memory after ICS?

6 . What about uninstallable useless junk in the new firmware?

A: You have to root your phone first and then uninstall the apps using root uninstaller or Titanium Backup. Instructions are on XDA forums.

Try link2sd. I think you need root for that.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
A: You have to root your phone first and then uninstall the apps using root uninstaller or Titanium Backup. Instructions are on XDA forums.

Try link2sd. I think you need root for that.

Uh Oh! Once the phone is rooted it voids warranty unless unrooted first right?

In that case I might as well try some custom ROMs too.

Link2SD also says there is no 2nd partition on the SD card which is at present just the factory provided 4GB. Plan to get a 16GB/32GB Class 6 from Bangalore later in the month after which all the exciting experiments should begin.

But really, whenever I have seen the comments on any Symbian related blog posts / reviews worldwide, everyone always mentions the plenty of apps available for Android. And if one can install only such few applications before running out of space, it is pity :-x

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Depends on how you rooted the phone. Check XDA. You should find ways to root your phone. Both with and without voiding the warranty.

If you buy an Android phone with about 32gb inbuilt storage you are never gonna run out of space for apps. :p

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
If you buy an Android phone with about 32gb inbuilt storage you are never gonna run out of space for apps. :p

:lol: Are you sure about your statement? Would you like to modify it or retract it? A few months down the line people will be quoting it :oops::oops::oops:

^
Did you guys get the 4.0.4 ICS update yet ?

I have not done it yet. But [samudragupta] above has done it.

--------------------
Just wanted to post this possibly useful link for those using a BSNL Mobile SIM.
One could go to *210.212.215.170:8080/msp/html/index.jsp to get the settings delivered.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Does an update to ICS increase or decrease the internal memory available to the user? And any information about RAM usage comparison between Gingerbread and ICS?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Good. In the Symbian world when Nokia updated Symbian from Anna to Belle, there was more free room in the phone memory after the update.

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
updated to ics 1 week ago.till now no problems.:-D:-D
the only problem is i cannot turn off the shutter sound on my camera,
i dont know,but there is only 3 sounds for shutter sound and no off option.:-(

bubusam13

Human
^^^ its not like you dont have problems. The fact is you are not able to recognise the problems.
Problems:
1> Touchscreen sensitivity in ICS Compared to GB in LWW, ICS have a bad touch screen sensitivity. How to find out? Pinch in the ICS home screen. The pinch UI in Xperia provides a faster way to navigate between home screens. Even the slightest pinch brings all the widgets in GB but u need to work on ICS. This means touch sensityvity have decreased.

2> GPS. common problem in LWW. It takes longer to lock satellites even under clear sky.

3> HD video recording with Image Stabilizer on skips frame. Though the final video is smooth, in the LCD it skips frame.

4> HD video picture quality have not increased a bit. Switch on night mode and forget about video recording.

5> Though image size have increased, image quality is the same. And the camera interface is not as easy as GB.

6> Unable to root. Gaming performance is bad

7> And have you tried opening emails. They are not getting updated. Even when refreshed.
-------------------
Now, ICS frees up some RAM on the good part. There are many other good sides also.

Aniwz, I rooted and downgraded to GB, removed many preinstalled junks, and happily using my phone. he he

Last edited:
OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
5> Though image size have increased, image quality is the same. And the camera interface is not as easy as GB.

What do you mean by "image size have increased" - that they have reduced jpeg compression?

> Unable to root. Gaming performance is bad

Then again down the post you say that you have rooted and downgraded to GB?!
Now, ICS frees up some RAM on the good part. There are many other good sides also.
....... removed many preinstalled junks, and happily using my phone. he he

Please list the good points. I will try to weigh them and decide if I should upgrade or not.
Also if you remember, please list the "junk" that comes with ICS.
In GB, I have 'PopCap Games' running as a non-stoppable system service! Of course it cannot be uninstalled too.

bubusam13

Human
What do you mean by "image size have increased" - that they have reduced jpeg compression?

Yes they have reduced compression, now 5MP clicks are in 1 MB +/-. But then also, colours are not rich like before. And HD video pic quality is like VGA cam clicks

Then again down the post you say that you have rooted and downgraded to GB?!

rooting and downgrading are different thing. Rooting means installing the SuperUser app and getting all administrative rights on your phone. You can root the present firmware. Downgrade to WT19i_4.0.2.A.0.58_(1254-1868) to root it. Then upgrade to ICS or to WT19i_4.0.2.A.0.62_(1254-1868)... latest Gingerbread firmware which I am having

Other than that, everything you say are in good part. And if you upgrade to ICS, you get GLONASS activated. GPS+GLONASS... wow... tell be what other brands have Glonass ?? And all the problems I mentioned are software bugs which can be rectified. So... chill

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
^^^ its not like you dont have problems. The fact is you are not able to recognise the problems.
Problems:
1> Touchscreen sensitivity in ICS Compared to GB in LWW, ICS have a bad touch screen sensitivity. How to find out? Pinch in the ICS home screen. The pinch UI in Xperia provides a faster way to navigate between home screens. Even the slightest pinch brings all the widgets in GB but u need to work on ICS. This means touch sensityvity have decreased.

2> GPS. common problem in LWW. It takes longer to lock satellites even under clear sky.

3> HD video recording with Image Stabilizer on skips frame. Though the final video is smooth, in the LCD it skips frame.

4> HD video picture quality have not increased a bit. Switch on night mode and forget about video recording.

6> Unable to root. Gaming performance is bad

7> And have you tried opening emails. They are not getting updated. Even when refreshed.
-------------------

Aniwz, I rooted and downgraded to GB, removed many preinstalled junks, and happily using my phone. he he

sensitivy-ys.but i can live with it.
email-i have no prob.
gps-didnt notice any delay,have used it b4 n still using it.:mrgreen:

n yes the battery sucks.
im getting 9 hr battery backup were i used to get 17 to 19 hr

Last edited:
Top Bottom