Sony ericson Neo vs Ray

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
hey,my frnd is planin to buy a new android phone,
we narrowed down the search to se ray and se neo(8 mp)(16k-17k)

is there any users of ray or neo or the both,which one is better.and in battery backup too.

ujjwal321

Journeyman
IMO u should go with neo.. 3.3 inch is no enough for android.. even though specs wise ray is good but the screen is too small.

clmlbx

Technomancer
GO for NeoV .u need better screen space for Android.. Ray only has better camera.. but for over all Entertainment you need better screen.. so go for neov

sach1000rt

Journeyman
for camera go for ray.
and neo v doesnt have better screen it has bigger screen.
ray has great screen(300ppi res).it has very good viewing angles and very good sunlight legibility which neo v suffers very poorly.
look on youtube here Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray Outdoor Display Test - YouTube

meanwhile are you talking about neo or neo v?
because 16k-17k neo you mentioned about is not neo its neo v which has 5mp camera.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Guys, sorry for OT but care to tell me how "larger screen" will be better for android? Don't tell me about general plus points of a bigger screen.

@OP- It depends how you've set your priorities of your phone. Like better camera, big screen, form factor, etc.

Ray- Better specs, Better screen (though small), USP- Sexy elegant design (truly pinnacle), Far better camera

Neo V- Big screen

My vote- Ray

sujoyp

Grand Master
For me Ray is a better design and look+ a better cam
NeoV is large screen and similar features :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Guys, sorry for OT but care to tell me how "larger screen" will be better for android? Don't tell me about general plus points of a bigger screen.

1. Game: FPS games are coming to android. bigger screen better as half of screen will be taken by controls.

2. Browser: full desktop view but zoom-in zoom-out, scroll, move, etc. oh, ads too need space.

3. Widgets: 1 am happy with a widget per screen but not everyone. and some apps comes bundled with around 2-3 widgets. some size of icons, other taking a 4X4 square area. also need space for bottom row of icons (custom roms never uses crap like SenseUI, Touchwiz, Timescape, LG s**t, etc).

4. Working area: you download some Photoshop alternate for Android & try it out but 1 complain. small screen & hence same problem as browser.

rest are like playing 720p movies at all its glory, pics looks crish on the big screen, etc.

what about the neo with 8 mp camera???

relaunched as V (5 as it got 5Mp cam) due to shortage of CMOS censors after japan quake.

Last edited:

sach1000rt

Journeyman
neo is more plasticky & brittle. if it drops on floor there are 90% chances that the back panel will break.
rest are like playing 720p movies at all its glory, pics looks crish on the big screen, etc.
yes u r right but the same file on ray will look much better than neo v.
another point here will be its not just a matter of screen size but also screen resolution.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
1. Game: FSP games are coming to android. bigger screen better as half of screen will be taken by controls.

2. Browser: full desktop view but zoom-in zoom-out, scroll, move, etc. oh, ads too need space.

3. Widgets: 1 am happy with a widget per screen but not everyone. and some apps comes bundled with around 2-3 widgets. some size of icons, other taking a 4X4 square area. also need space for bottom row of icons (custom roms never uses crap like SenseUI, Touchwiz, Timescape, LG s**t, etc).

4. Working area: you download some Photoshop alternate for Android & try it out but 1 complain. small screen & hence same problem as browser.

You mentioned all the general -ve points of a smaller screen. I and everybody understands these. Somebody had mentioned that "android" needs big screen. I was commenting on that. Browser,apps,gadgets are there for other OS's too. I guess you didn't got my question.

Also FSP*= FPS (typo?)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
You mentioned all the general -ve points of a smaller screen. I and everybody understands these. Somebody had mentioned that "android" needs big screen. I was commenting on that. Browser,apps,gadgets are there for other OS's too. I guess you didn't got my question.

Also FSP*= FPS (typo?)

but then these are the area where Android scores compared to Symbian & WP7.

yup. it was a typo ;-)

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Symbian & WP or any OS also socre better with a bigger screen. It has nothing to do with "just" android.

Android is resolution independent. Better screen size and resolution is always useful. Newer handsets are pushing qHD resolution, and the new Galaxy Nexus is the first phone with 1280x720 (720p) resolution with a 4.65 inch screen size...

In case of Android, bigger is better... ;)

SE Ray may have WVGA resolution, but since the screen size is small, it really a moot point. If you can live with a small screen, awesome...

I have a phone with a small screen (LG Optimus One @3.2") and I am dying to move to a larger phone. I am jealous of my sisters 4" phones (Samsung Galaxy SL and Samsung Focus). Typing is easier, media consumption is super, and the phones look great... They are comfortable to carry, never had any issues it...

sach1000rt

Journeyman
Typing is easier, media consumption is super, and the phones look great... They are comfortable to carry, never had any issues it...
do you want to just carry it only or put it in your pocket also(oh maybe it doesnt fit the pocket)? just kidding...
but maybe it is comfortable to you but that is not the case of everybody.

some people may prefer one hand operation for which these small screens comes handy.some people may dont want to use both hands while operating the phone while walking or etc. some people may have have small palms. and easily pocketable.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think 3.7" inch is the perfect size for 1 hand operation....anything above 4" will need 2 hand operation coz width increases

Top Bottom