Sony announces Xperia L and SP mid range droids

Pancul

Broken In
27k is costly if we compare it with Samsung galaxy note or Samsung galaxy s3 as both of them are available in similar price range now.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
27k is costly if we compare it with Samsung galaxy note or Samsung galaxy s3 as both of them are available in similar price range now.

SP kicks away Note and S3 into another Galaxy performance wise. :)

The only phones more powerful than SP in the Indian market are LG Optimus G, Sony Xperia Z/ZL, HTC Butterfly.

Kiss

Journeyman
SP kicks away Note and S3 into another Galaxy performance wise. :)

The only phones more powerful than SP in the Indian market are LG Optimus G, Sony Xperia Z/ZL, HTC Butterfly.

Hey Random Please explain me the bottom line from this review as I find a bit hard to understand about mobile chipsets... Its the total contrast to what I have been reading that SP Beats SIII

Sony Xperia SP: A Specifications Review

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Hey Random Please explain me the bottom line from this review as I find a bit hard to understand about mobile chipsets... Its the total contrast to what I have been reading that SP Beats SIII

What a shameful thing really. A tech site with no knowledge about mobile SoCs. This is why you shouldn't trust most review sites. Absolute BS

ajaymailed

In the zone

There seems to be some confusion here. Lets compare hardware on four fronts- CPU, GPU, System Performance, Browser.

Raw CPU performance
- Galaxy S3 CPU performance is not a match to any of Krait Chipsets out there. Krait is more advanced design than Cortex A9. It doesn't matter if its Dual or Quad, Krait will beat it. Infact Galaxy S3 US Version is powered by a Krait Chipset- MSM8960.

Benchmarks- Benchmark Pi, Linpack. They measure raw power of CPU.

Just take last years Krait Dual Core phones- HTC One S, Xperia T, Xperia V. All of them beat Galaxy S3.

Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III vs. HTC One X: Alien vs. Predator - GSMArena.com
Sony Xperia V review: Bond’s wetsuit - GSMArena.com

GPU Performance- Xperia SP has Adreno 320, most powerful from Qualcomm. It is definitely better than Mali 400 MP of S3. But still Note 2 & S3 have come really close in of the GL benchmarks.
LG Optimus G v Samsung Galaxy S III: Beast wars - GSMArena.com
Since Nenamark 2 cant measure Adreno 320, GL benchmarks are better candidate. Adreno clearly shows superior performance in 1080p & 720p off screen performance.

System Performance: System performance tests CPU, GPU, Memory, I/O together. Galaxy S3, Note 2 score consitently high on Geekbench 2, An Tu Tu and decent on Quadrant. I dont know about Xperia SP systembenchmarks. Its likely that Xperia SP will roughly match the scores of S3.
LG Optimus G v Samsung Galaxy S III: Beast wars - GSMArena.com
Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III vs. HTC One X: Alien vs. Predator - GSMArena.com

Browser benchmarks: S3 gives some tough competition in Sunspider due to highly optimized javascript engine. Its tough to beat S3 in Sunspider, Browsermark. even Xperia Z got beaten by S3 in Sunspider. Galaxy Note 2 nailed these browser benchmarks, tops the Android charts till date.
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. Sony Xperia Z: When worlds collide - GSMArena.com

It would be really surprising for me, if Xperia SP wasnt more powerful than Galaxy S3, its only natural that everytime a new Soc comes out, phone markers will quickly adopt it to beat their competitors.

The battle between Tegra 4, Snapdragon 800 & Exynos 5 Octa will be Clash of Titans. Latest news is that S4 Intl version powered by 1.6 Ghz Exynos 5 smokes S4 US version powered by 1.9 Ghz Snapdragon 600 in An Tu Tu benchmark

Last edited:

Kiss

Journeyman
Hey.. Thanks for the explanations... :) Now Lets w8 for the SP benchmarks to get the exact verdict between them...

P.S: Personally I'm Waiting for L to be released and be reviewed, more than the benchmarks for SP... :D

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Refer to this review for S3 vs SP. Keep in mind Xperia SP is much more powerful than Xperia V so it will score even higher than the V here

Sony Xperia V review: Bond’s wetsuit - GSMArena.com

V beats S3 in all benchmarks including browser benchmarks except Geekbench

V has 1.5ghz S4 whereas SP has 1.7ghz S4 Pro. V GPU is Adreno 225 and SP has Adreno 320 so we can use Z numbers for GPU comparison. Also V benchmarks are on ICS whereas S3 numbers are on JB

*i.imgur.com/SIXF1GQ.jpg
*i.imgur.com/eNzlitB.jpg
*i.imgur.com/rG9Xs9k.jpg
*i.imgur.com/EELuceO.jpg
*i.imgur.com/bbhrEWc.jpg
*i.imgur.com/gP4doNY.jpg
*i.imgur.com/BCPD3c3.jpg
*i.imgur.com/GaVqkxW.jpg

Z browser scores are lower due to Chrome being used, Chrome is crappy at browser performance.

Last edited:

ajaymailed

In the zone
Hey.. Thanks for the explanations... :) Now Lets w8 for the SP benchmarks to get the exact verdict between them...

P.S: Personally I'm Waiting for L to be released and be reviewed, more than the benchmarks for SP... :D
other factors will be Battery Life, Camera Performance, Screen Viewing Angles/Sun light legibility. Rest like Software, Screen size etc all are about personal preference.

vgowtham97

Journeyman
Benchmarks of SP:

*i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/v_gowtham07/8626688114_ce2cdcc1e1_z.jpg

*i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/v_gowtham07/8625580193_0cfcc1593d_z.jpg

Some Camera Samples:

*i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/v_gowtham07/Xperia-SP-Sample_4-640x480.jpg

*i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/v_gowtham07/Xperia-SP-Sample_1-640x480.jpg

*i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/v_gowtham07/Xperia-SP-Sample_3-640x480.jpg

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8625453525_069ff7e16f_z.jpg​

eduku

Amateur techno enthusiast
The Nexus 4 has the quad core version of the S4, same as the one in the Xperia Z, so I guess it should definitely be better than the SP...

@ randomuser111

"And we mean the price tag, not the water resistance. Instead of making short work of the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S II Plus, the HTC One S and why not even the LG Optimus 4X HD, its current price sets it on a collision course with the quad-core flagship monsters that wouldn't mind one last fight before retirement, especially one that they're guaranteed to win.
It just doesn't make sense for a phone like the Xperia V to cost about the same (and sometimes even more) than a Samsung Galaxy S III or an HTC One X. Not to mention the Google Nexus 4, which is ridiculously cheap at Google Play"

- GSM Arena...

Conclusion

Top Bottom