Sony announces Xperia L and SP mid range droids

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
The Nexus 4 has the quad core version of the S4, same as the one in the Xperia Z, so I guess it should definitely be better than the SP...

@ randomuser111

"And we mean the price tag, not the water resistance. Instead of making short work of the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S II Plus, the HTC One S and why not even the LG Optimus 4X HD, its current price sets it on a collision course with the quad-core flagship monsters that wouldn't mind one last fight before retirement, especially one that they're guaranteed to win.
It just doesn't make sense for a phone like the Xperia V to cost about the same (and sometimes even more) than a Samsung Galaxy S III or an HTC One X. Not to mention the Google Nexus 4, which is ridiculously cheap at Google Play"

- GSM Arena...

Conclusion

Why did you post Xperia V verdict ? Xperia SP is much more powerful than Xperia V. It has the same GPU as Xperia Z, HTC One, Nexus 4 etc

ajaymailed

In the zone
strictly speaking galaxy s3 US Version shared the same dual core CPU as Xperia V, T, HTC One S etc. Be it dual core or quad core, Krait CPUs will make sure phones run smoothly. My 1.5 yr old Galaxy S2 with a dual core Cortex A9 does everything very smooth, it may struggle a bit with heavy games.

But Camera, Screen Quality, Battery Life, Storage, Audio etc can be compared and would make difference in daily usage. Software , Screen Size, Phone Design, are often subjective, matter of personal preference.

IMO Camera comparison of Xperia SP Vs S3, One X+ will make the final difference. Front VGA Vs 1.9 MP is ok but 8 MP primary Cam is the one to look out for. but considering S3, One X are well known established former flagships in the price range, Xperia SP will struggle.

Sony will have hard time convincing that SP is actually more powerful than S3, the best selling android till date.

Last edited:

eduku

Amateur techno enthusiast
^

Refer to this review for S3 vs SP. Keep in mind Xperia SP is much more powerful than Xperia V so it will score even higher than the V here

Sony Xperia V review: Bond’s wetsuit - GSMArena.com

V beats S3 in all benchmarks including browser benchmarks except Geekbench

V has 1.5ghz S4 whereas SP has 1.7ghz S4 Pro. V GPU is Adreno 225 and SP has Adreno 320 so we can use Z numbers for GPU comparison. Also V benchmarks are on ICS whereas S3 numbers are on JB

*i.imgur.com/SIXF1GQ.jpg
*i.imgur.com/eNzlitB.jpg
*i.imgur.com/rG9Xs9k.jpg
*i.imgur.com/EELuceO.jpg
*i.imgur.com/bbhrEWc.jpg
*i.imgur.com/gP4doNY.jpg
*i.imgur.com/BCPD3c3.jpg
*i.imgur.com/GaVqkxW.jpg

Z browser scores are lower due to Chrome being used, Chrome is crappy at browser performance.

That's why...

I mean that if Sony wanted to price the SP close to 30K then it would have made sense to equip it with the quad core version of the Krait, that is found in the Optimus G or the Nexus 4 or for that matter the Xperia Z, which in turn should have had the Snapdragon 600...
Of course that's just my opinion...

I guess what I am trying to say is that even though the SP may actually be slightly faster than the SIII or the One X+, the average ("Aam Admi") Indian Customer would still prefer the latter two because they would see that both of those are of proven quality and are "quad cores", as only a few would do extensive research and check benchmarks and reviews. So I think that it is an error on that part of Sony to read the Indian market and Indian consumer...

I don't have anything against Sony, in fact it is by far my favourite consumer electronics company, its just that I feel that over the last 2 years their phones have not been upto my liking as every phone has some major flaw or the other. For example I was set to buy the Xperia U in December, but then I found out about the 4GB non-expandable memory for media storage, which was a real deal breaker. Then we have the Sola with the floating touch display, but that does not have a front camera! Even my 5 year old N73 has one.
And I not even going to talk about the J, where as the P proved to be too expensive and had poor battery backup.

vpower

Broken In
Flipkart, which earlier listed Xperia SP for pre-order at Rs.27490, has now reduced price to Rs.25990 :-D

link: Flipkart

Now-with the price reasonable,I am waiting for a detailed review of SP like on gsmarena before buying.

-----
I have been reading TDF for over a month but registered only now.
Thanks for folks out here (like randomuser), I waited from march to buy SP!

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
OT:
I really hope i can get it, Hope L is 15k, and I atleast get 7k for my POS Nokia E6. :| I cant handle that phone anymore.
BTW, A batery for E6 costs 1k :O ?

vpower

Broken In
^

You can easily get it for 25k from local stores and even 24.5k if you bargain hard
Yep.. always market prices will be lesser than flipkart prices.

Also, randomuser- you haven't clarified whether SP has magnetometer or not :-? If not, it will be shocking as Xperia L has it as per whitepaper!

Reviews have started appearing:
1.CNET- Review: Sony Xperia SP - Mobile Phones - CNET Asia
2.Xperia-Blog- Xperia SP hands-on impressions | Xperia Blog
3.Unleash the Phones-Sony Xperia SP Review | UnleashThePhones

Vignesh B

Youngling
^^ Good-luck in finding such a person. You are right though.
Majority of people(or may I say noobs) go for the in-thing(ie Android & iOS) now, they don't look for functionality.
In hind-sight even an E6 will suffice for many people with just above basic needs. I know of people who own a Note 2 or a S3, but don't utilize it to even half its potential.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
OT:
I am fed of my E6, sometimes it clicks things itself, opens apps 10 times again and again even if i close it.But if I restart the cell it backs to normal :|

Top Bottom