!!!!!!Some terrible virus is sucking my pc!!!!!!!!!

utkarsh73

In the zone
My pc has been severely attacked by a virus which increases the CPU usage by 30%.
It attaches to a process and increases the CPU usage by 25-30%.(Please see the attached files)

And displays the message window "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into the drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" with the title of the window same as the process name.
If I end that process then some other process starts behaving like this and this goes on and on until I end something like 10 processes or so.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on my pc but it did not worked. So I installed QuickHeal and updated it and even quickheal was not able to remove it.
Then I installed Norton Internet Security 2012 and it caught the virus. Then my pc behaved normally for 3 days and again the same thing started.
Norton catches it, removes it and it again comes back after few minutes.

Please help me, its sucking all my CPU and I cannot play games so smoothly.

My laptop configuration:
Lenovo Ideapad Y560
Core i3 350M, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 1 GB ATI RADEON HD 5730 Graphic card. windows 7 HP 64-bit.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
switch to Linux. :D
just kidding ,
No, i am not
perform an online scan (google it out) and get the viruses removed. Also scan your external storage devices for Virus.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
@utkarsh73 IMO doing online scan or installing antivirus in this stage is useless.

download AVG - Data Recovery | AVG Rescue CD and burn to CD/USB and boot from it. and scan all the drives completely. and delete all viruses.

please note that if the system files are infected it will get deleted and will result in OS boot failure. if u care enough to re-install the OS and programs u can go ahead. .

by seeing the snapshot i don't think u r system files are infected. good luck .. :)

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
Those processes don't look like viruses to me. I think it's your Windows' problem.

The title associated with the processes occurs when they try to access the drive, which I assume is C: in this case. Follow this.

Did you configure any of the partitions lately? Did you trying installing Windows 8? When did this started and what exactly were you trying to do before it?

Yup, not a virus.

Edit: As for the extra usage, that's because of those bloatwares you've installed, i.e., TuneUp, bundled software with your Lenovo Laptop (VeriFace) and Intel AppUp. Either remove them from the startup list or uninstall them altogether

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Anyhow the virus is loaded into ur registry and boot sector.

Also...most probably the "System volume information" folder of all drives.

A boot time scan might help but might corrupt ur system files.

In anyway, you are very close to re-installing of OS.

Do that and install Avira+Komodo on a fresh OS installation.

mitraark

Decrepit
Unistalll all Programs unnessary [ and in future , refain from installing anything and everything onto your PC ]

Do not have 2 Anti Virus installled at same time.

Use some program to check what applications are there in Startup.

If possible you might want to do a System Restore to maybe a month back.

OP
utkarsh73

utkarsh73

In the zone
thanks everyone for your response.

I might also add that this is happening even after I have restored my system to the factory condition. Can this be implied as there is problem in my other drives(other than system drive)

This problem suddenly started after I clicked an unknown exe file some 1 week ago.
Now I am downloading this avg rescue disk to see if it works. BTW I already did a bootup scan with the quickheal boottime scan.

@sygeek the link you have referred me is for old "Norton Systemworks 2002". And when I open the path variable I do not see any reference to the removable drives, all are referred to C drive.

sygeek

Technomancer
thanks everyone for your response.

I might also add that this is happening even after I have restored my system to the factory condition. Can this be implied as there is problem in my other drives(other than system drive)

This problem suddenly started after I clicked an unknown exe file some 1 week ago.
Now I am downloading this avg rescue disk to see if it works. BTW I already did a bootup scan with the quickheal boottime scan.

@sygeek the link you have referred me is for old "Norton Systemworks 2002". And when I open the path variable I do not see any reference to the removable drives, all are referred to C drive.
Those are not viruses, just some preinstalled bloatwares. I think that system reserved partition modified a partition letter to itself.

The second link was to clarify that this problem is not due to a virus, try the first link.

Windows + R -> diskmgmt.msc -> See if local disk has the C: partition letter and if the system reserved partition has a partition letter assigned to it, remove it.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Kaspersky rescue CD is better than AVG anyday. And if possible post a log of Hijack.This. Then we'll be able to assist you in a better way. :)

kisame

King of Heroes
"Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr1" error when starting a program - TechSpot OpenBoards

Top Bottom