cray.x

Broken In
first of all the specs!

AMD A8 3850(2.9GHz)
Asus F1A55 M LX Plus
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz vengeance
corsair CX500
WD caviar blue 250GB

hello guys i recently assembled a PC on 11 feb 2012 it was working fine until today, when i was working on it, it unexpectedly turned off(not shutdown), after that didn't turned on, after opening the chassis when i tried to turn it on, the fan rotated once, LED blinked but with in a blink of eye it turned off again, every time i switch off the mains after that the PC turns on but it follows the above routine, i don't know what is the problem as it is a brand new PC! checked everything, cleaned its dust, reseated all the cables and memory modules..... help needed urgently!:cry::|

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
I faced the same problem...
solved it just by shuffling and reseating the RAM modules...Maybe some prob with the mobo...

Sujeet

Undead!!!
most probably psu fault.
check it on other pc if its working.
try disconnecting all psu cables to mobo and redo the.

try to smell the rear vent of psu for burnt smell although it dont sounds burnt from ur explanation

Rma psu if its faulty.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
disconnect everything. even ram. connect PSU powers only and turn PC on. if it runs (of course no display), PSU is fine.
Next plug in only one ram stick and check. This will take time but will diagnose the problem sooner and accurately.

OP
cray.x

cray.x

Broken In
just tell me one thing i earlier used a cooler master 400w SMPS which malfunctioned twice after that i switched to corsair CX500 so is this sufficient for my rig?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Coolermaster PSU-Avoid at all cost:*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html
Corsair is renowned brand for PSU. Cant say why this happened..CX500 is more than enough for your current Rig.

koolent

Youngling
Follow the way suggested by Sam, you will find the problem, it can be due to RAM, or a loose cable..

Last edited:

helion

Broken In
first of all the specs!

AMD A8 3850(2.9GHz)
Asus F1A55 M LX Plus
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz vengeance
corsair CX500
WD caviar blue 250GB

hello guys i recently assembled a PC on 11 feb 2012 it was working fine until today, when i was working on it, it unexpectedly turned off(not shutdown), after that didn't turned on, after opening the chassis when i tried to turn it on, the fan rotated once, LED blinked but with in a blink of eye it turned off again, every time i switch off the mains after that the PC turns on but it follows the above routine, i don't know what is the problem as it is a brand new PC! checked everything, cleaned its dust, reseated all the cables and memory modules..... help needed urgently!:cry::|

Firstly, by 'the fan rotated once' I suppose you mean the CPU fan.

Multiple choice possibilities:

a. Overheating of CPU clicking in the auto safety. (this is least likely in my view)

b. Issue with PSU. Get it checked throughly. (Possible, and you're in good luck if that is the case.)

c. Component issue on the mobo. (more possible if d below has the unfavourable answer, but suspect the PSU much as well!)

d. Basic question: Is the computer behind all regulated safe electricity line earthed properly or are there some steps skipped on that? (Similar question to "Did you remember to wear your pants while going out?" :D)

OP
cray.x

cray.x

Broken In
yeah checked the way technicians check the SMPS by connecting the green and black wire and it was not working so the culprit is the SMPS.

koolent

Youngling
^^ What green and black wires..AFAIK Green= Earthing and Black = Negative terminal.. So actually you are grounding the electricity, I will not work even if its all right.. AFAIK, cross check with some other members..

Last edited:

helion

Broken In
yeah checked the way technicians check the SMPS by connecting the green and black wire and it was not working so the culprit is the SMPS.

I hope you got the thing entirely right, ie without loose connections giving a false positive etc.

^^ What green and black wires..AFAIK Green= Earthing and Black = Negative terminal.. So actually you are grounding the electricity, I will not work even if its all right.. AFAIK, cross check with some other members..

No. Shorting green and any one of the blacks is correct.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
PSU can be tested by shorting the green and black wire method - it's called PSU Jump Start and I've used this couple of times to test cabby fans ;-)

@ OP - the issue you are facing could be due to PSu but before submitting it for RMA just attach a case fan to it and use the green and black wire method again and see if the fan rotates or not.

koolent

Youngling
^^ Ohk, I didn't know about this " PSU Jumpstart.. LOL..

How do we do it, it will help me to Watch. Think. Learn..

After all, we are here to learn annd let others learn.. :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
all you need to know about shorting various connectors & jumpstart psu:
ATX 12 V (CPU) power cable trouble - General-Homebuilt - Homebuilt-Systems

if don't feel like reading whole thing then:
You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
Corsair Video FAQ: How to test a Corsair power supply - YouTube
This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Ohk, I didn't know about this " PSU Jumpstart.. LOL..

How do we do it, it will help me to Watch. Think. Learn..

After all, we are here to learn annd let others learn.. :)

follow the links posted by whitestar_999 or else have a look at here :

How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components

koolent

Youngling
Ohh.. Ya sure and thnxx, although my PSU was working I jump started it.. IT Worked..

I didn't know this thank you very much guyzz... The black and the green wire.. Hmmm..

Bt after Jump Starting I switched it off and took off the mains cable then I connected everything FINE AND GOOD AND STARTED THE COMPUTER, IT STARTED SUCCESSFULLY and unintentionally when I touched the metal part of the Rig with my tester, there was nothing but when I touched my PSU, THERE WAS A SPARK ON THE BODY OF THE PSU, and the computer went to comma state, the lights were on but the CPU Fan, screen everything was blank, never mind, I switched my UPS off and again on and then my computer, Everything worked fine, I have a 180 W BESTEC PSU, I am going to buy Corsair CX430 v2 with my grafix card, should I change my PSU early ?

Last edited:

helion

Broken In
Sparks mean that the earthing is maybe not alright. You might have even gotten the tester light up if you tested the PSU's outer metal box. Try to see by using the JumpStart method.

Change the PSU. JumpStart gets the PSU running and a small load like one or more fans.

Signs in your case are that the PSU is now delivering lower voltage.

Last edited:

koolent

Youngling
Hmm.. b now my Computer is running allright, should I replace my PSU. Well I am trying what I did agn bt nw with jumpstart method..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom