Votes: 32 43.8%
  • I am neutral, mostly.

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
Yea that can be done and I respect ur idea! It can be used to play old windows 98 games like King of Fighters. well i play it today also :D !

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I simply luv microsoft for its gr8 works.
They are master in providing stable software....and dont forget the history of microsoft who changed the computer world.They gave first user graphics interface operating system to the world(window 3.1)...and first dos operating system(MSDOS)

praka123

left this forum longback
ravi_pintu2001@yahoo.com said:
They are master in providing stable software....and dont forget the history of microsoft who changed the computer world.They gave first user graphics interface operating system to the world(window 3.1)...and first dos operating system(MSDOS)
Are U sure of ur statements microsoft and stable softwares?"unstable" s/w i'd say.they are not the first to launch GUI OS.and MS-dos is a fork of pcdos?they got this fortune due to ibm made them partner for developing os/2 OS.

EagerBeaver

Journeyman
Lots of peoples in India still use Windows 98. I know some who even uses Windows 95. Making Windows 98 free may or may not be a good idea, who cares, but he must reduce his prices for Indians. Billy gates is stinking rich and peoples think he got so by overcharging for his pooor products. His IE sucks ! He is really unpopular. But I thinks we peoples hates him less then the foreigners, just checks the net for sites like *toastytech.com/evil/billsucks.html Atlesat we peoples dont show like this disrespect openly.

jack// ani

In the zone
well...the only reason i find people still using win98/95 is old hardware config....which can't support newer OS. Otherwise they themselves have to particular reason for using lousy Win98....after all everyone loves to move technology!!

yes...IE sucks, firefox is far better in all aspect!! so i'll never turn back to ie7.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
They are master in providing stable software....
I won't say anything about this. If you find Microsoft sotware stable, good for you but...

and dont forget the history of microsoft who changed the computer world.They gave first user graphics interface operating system to the world(window 3.1)...and first dos operating system(MSDOS)
... I simply won't agree with you here as this statement is wrong. The first mouse based operating system (GUI) was released by Apple Computers in 1984 and even they were not the inventors. Read this:
When the Macintosh was introduced in 1984, it represented something altogether new to the public – an affordable Graphical User Interface (GUI) on a computer with a mouse. Suddenly, while others were typing commands like “del index.com,” Mac users were dragging and dropping the image of a file into the image of a trash can. Users had a computer with an interface that made sense (intuitive). But although Apple was the first to successfully mass-produce a GUI, they were not its inventors, nor were they the first to market it.

The honor for producing the first working GUI goes to Doug Englebart – at the time an employee of Stanford Research Institute. Englebart and colleagues created a program called the oNLine System in 1965-‘68. This program used the first mouse, a windowing system, and hypertext, and was based on a description of a system called “memex” proposed by Vannevar Bush in 1945. The name “mouse” comes from this period. The mouse used in oNLine had three buttons on one end and the line coming out the other end. Apparently, the buttons for eyes and nose, plus a cord for a tail, reminded the users of a mouse and the name stuck. (More)
Source

The only thing that Microsoft is good at, IMHO, is marketing - and when you are in a business, that is what counts the most.

nikhilrao

Journeyman
Exactly, jack/ani, in a poor country like India, very few can even afford to upgrade hardware so when will the spend money to upgrade software ? So then they still keep using 98. Forget the cities, go in towns --- u will see a lot of 98 still. If anyone want to use a better one like XP, whos is stopping people from BUYING it or using a PIRATED one as many here do !

And of course, EgerBeaver, he is stinky rich, but hey, he earned it. Whether by hook or by crook or luck or genius or not, it doesn't matter -- And he does give a lot of money in CHARITY, dont forget, dude. Heres a decent site *www.zpub.com/un/bill/ about him, check out his house man no wonder guys envy :D him ! But bottomline I like and admire MS producst. :)

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
ya, the 'bill & melinda gates foundation' does a lot of charity. but some consider his philanthropic activities as just a PR exercise. but the fact DOES remain that he has given over $26 billion of his personal wealth to the Foundation and has pledged to give billions of dollars more to several dozen specific programs.

wonder what made warren buffet give 85% of his $44b fortune to the same 'bill & melinda gates foundation' !? their good work ??

mihirvashist

Journeyman
Their Ridiculously High Priced Software And Cheap Marketing/business Strategies Is The Only Thing I Don't Like Abt Them

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't hate MS as a company but yeah I hate quite a lot of their policies and practices.
Firstly, they introduce some very old technologies from other OS'es and call them something brand new.
Then they carry out some monopolistic practices.
So many times they leave their promises unfulfilled, just look at what Vista was promised to be and what is being released now is just a shadow of it. Agreed there are setbacks but so much cutting off is a bit insane to me. But, still I appreciate the fact that now, they have started focussing on security in the online world with a lot more seriousness.
Then, I am not at all in favour of their restrictive policies. You can't do any messing around with their softwares whereas they can do with the softwares of others cos the license of those software permits.

And I won't fall in any of those above 3 categories.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
1. Their (Microsoft's) policies are no more restrictive than any other Enterprise of that calibre. I wonder why Adobe, Oracle etc manage to slip by the nitpicking-radar of most. I fail to understand why the (even commercial) Linux distributions are allowed to ship various software on the same media, but Microsoft is sued for integrating IE for users' convenience.

2. SONY also practises monopolistic business, and their products are always overpriced. I don't see people criticizing and boycotting their products.

3. Vista, IMHO, is a failed project. It took much longer than anticipated, and they had to cut down on crucial features to release within a somewhat acceptable time frame. They learned their lesson this time.

Those who complain that Vista is expensive, have failed to realize that they're basically paying for "failed expectations". They have to feed the employees that were working on Vista for the last five years. Either pay the premium, or don't buy it. They'll eventually come to their senses and lower the price.

4. The whole Windows architecture is so twisted, tangled and complex, it needs to be designed again from the scratch. They can learn something from the simpler and more effective UNIX architecture, and I do hope they do that. Simplify, simplify!

5. Windows EULA bashing is not correct. Reverse engineering, disassembling and decompiling is not illegal is all cases. This is how various different office suites can read/write MS-Word (doc) files, even though Microsoft has not published the specifications. RE'ing for "interoperability" is supported by the court of law, both in and out of USA.

Just thought it was time to clear some fog.

mediator

Technomancer
vasulic said:
" People who shout at Microsoft'S high priced software have never used original ms software"
I have original XP and Office 2000 CDs!! So its not about using original stuff! I hate MS-Windows and luv MS-Office. On contrary, I think some people who buy expensive and original MS stuff like such shout more with sarcastic statements.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
vasulic said:
I Love MIcroSoft

I AGREE with ravi_pintu2001@yahoo.com. Without Microsoft I cant imagine software development in India.
But what ravi_pintu2001@yahoo.com said was totally wrong. Microsoft did not invent the GUI nor did it come out with the first commercial OS that had a GUI. In fact, in it's entire existence, there have been very few examples of innovations done by Microsoft. However, Bill Gates, being one of the greatest businessmen of the century, has almost single-handedly taken Microsoft to such heights. It is all the result of an exceptionally shrewd business model.
And what role does Microsoft play in facilitating software development in India?

planetcall

Indian by heart
You know what.... You talk of linux today only because Microsoft has revolutionized the meaning of computer and has made it possible for normal computer illetrates to use computer and be proud of their knowledge. It doesnt matter whether their softwares are secured or not but what I am talking of is the feet they have achieved in the field of computing in terms of popularity. Certainly we all should salute Billy for being the commander of such a revolution. No one knows the future. We dont know how long MS gonna stay at top but we all will remember how Microsoft became a household name.

*imagehost.biz/ims/pictes/209190.gif

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
Because it's an extremely short-sighted and stubborn company which takes it's so-called customers ( atleast in India , there are very few Microsoft 'customers' ) for granted .

They develop an operating system which requires people to upgrade their Ram and Graphics hardware to Microsoft's specifications !!

A minimum of 512 MB of Ram and a DirectX 9 compatible Graphics adapter ? Mandriva 2006 runs in 128 MB of Ram on a standard onboard Graphics driver , for god's sake ..

Who ever heard of major a H/W upgrade to install an OS ??
I didn't .. :x :x

jack// ani

In the zone
mediator said:
On contrary, I think some people who buy expensive and original MS stuff like such shout more with sarcastic statements.

ya....just to show off, how much they hate piracy....though they haven't bothered to use pirated stuff when nobody is around!!

thats the fact.......a more sarcastic one.

yes....this might be the major reason of vista failure, apart from its superfluous cost!! another good reason to call microsoft *myopic*.

vista is going to be huge a feast for piracy market, as never before.....already rtm version and crack of vista is flooded on the net!!

is vista as fiasco....?? time to tell....

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

jack// ani

if u know about the crack, u also know that it will expire on may 31 2007, in other words, it is already proved to be a non working crack, & still vista needs to be activated for even this crack to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom