shortcuts for run command..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mak1012

Journeyman
hey ppl,
i just started using kubuntu..
What i was looking for is shortcuts for opening the different applications in the run command..like 'xterm' which opens the terminal.
can any one please tell me from where i can get them i tried googling but i dint find any.

thank you

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Your query is confusing, you want shortcuts or you want shortcut to run command?
For the former check in KContolPanel and for latter press alt+F2

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
I want shortcuts....like after pressing alt+f2 (run command) when i type xterm.. it opens Xterminal..

but when i type..'shell' it doesn't open anything. i want to know keys which are used in run command.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
shell is not a command, then how will it run it?
It will be able to run whatever executables are in your path. To know those, open a terminal and press tab twice in rapid succession.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
There is System Monitor tool in Ubuntu(SYTEM---ADMINISTRATION) which works similar to ctl+alt_del(task manager) in windows... how can make some key stroke combination for it just like ctrl+alt+del!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Mehulved meant the same thing. And here's a way from Ubuntu Answers @ Launchpad.

*answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/19234 said:
f you want to enable Ctrl Alt Del to open System Monitor you have to do this 2 things:
- First of all go to System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts
- Search for "Logout" action that is under Desktop actions.
you will see that Ctrl+Alt+Del combination is associated to Logout shortcut (even if it does not work for me ;) )
- click on that shortcut and press Backspace if you want to disable it or choose another combination.

Close it and open the Configuration Editor (if you have installed it you will find it under Applications->System Tools or else Alt+F2 and gconf-editor)
- On left tree select: apps->metacity
- Select "Global_keybindings" and search for a "run_command_X" value where X is between 1 and 12 and it is not used (i have used run_command_9)
- Add this value: <Control><Alt>Delete
- Now select "Keybindings_commands" on left tree. Goto "command_X" where X is the same number selected in run_command_X option. (For me is command_9)
- Add this value: gnome-system-monitor

If you don't have the Gconf editor open a terminal and write this two commands:

gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_9 "<Control><Alt>Delete"
gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_9 "gnome-system-monitor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom