Say bye bye to privacy: Facebook Home

heidi2521

Padawan
Facebook Home

With Home, everything on your phone gets friendlier. From the moment you turn it on, you see a steady stream of friends’ posts and photos. Upfront notifications and quick access to your essentials mean you’ll never miss a moment. And you can keep chatting with friends, even when you’re using other apps.

Why it is the largest privacy violation by FB yet:

Why Facebook Home bothers me: It destroys any notion of privacy; Tech News and Analysis

But there is a bigger worry. The phone’s GPS can send constant information back to the Facebook servers, telling it your whereabouts at any time.

So if your phone doesn’t move from a single location between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. for say a week or so, Facebook can quickly deduce the location of your home. Facebook will be able to pinpoint on a map where your home is, whether you share your personal address with the site or not. It can start to build a bigger and better profile of you on its servers. It can start to correlate all of your relationships, all of the places you shop, all of the restaurants you dine in and other such data. The data from accelerometer inside your phone could tell it if you are walking, running or driving. As Zuckerberg said — unlike the iPhone and iOS, Android allows Facebook to do whatever it wants on the platform, and that means accessing the hardware as well.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I don't see the point of a separate FB launcher. We already have the app with varying degrees of integration in different phones. Also, theres the widget.

Most facebook users (especially girls) don't really care about internet privacy. For them, this app is an ideal upgrade.

Most facebook users (especially girls) don't really care about internet privacy. For them, this app is an ideal upgrade.

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
NO THANKS FB, I don't have an acc. :-D

Really, who wants FB HOME over everything else?

Last edited:
OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan

There are reasons other than privacy for not wanting this app. I don't think they would want the facebook spam on their homepage. This app could easily chew through their bandwidth within a week, with constant updating and notification of servers with your information. Whistling every 2 - 3 minutes can easily get annoying etc.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
privacy 101, this scare is not new
any service that tracks gps data can deduce a lot of things, let alone address. it gets even more deadlier when that data can be correlated to the movements of others. think this data is logged compulsorily for some years by telecom operators, not sure about the details.
the problem is not machines mining data, that's a really powerful tool and can be put to use for many beneficial things, including crime prevention. What is wrong is the commercial exploitation of such data.
for re-enforcement, go through any of Richard Stallman's interviews where he talks about privacy. here, is one >

Richard Stallman: ‘Apple has tightest digital handcuffs in history’ -- New Internationalist
But most people are leaving themselves totally wide open to surveillance on the internet. And what really gets me is when people pressure their friends into using Facebook.

and another
*www.networkworld.com/news/2011/031411-richard-stallman.html?hpg1=bn
"I don't have a cell phone. I won't carry a cell phone," says Stallman, founder of the free software movement and creator of the GNU operating system. "It's Stalin's dream. Cell phones are tools of Big Brother. I'm not going to carry a tracking device that records where I go all the time, and I'm not going to carry a surveillance device that can be turned on to eavesdrop."

point is if you are indulging in any nefarious activities at dubious locations, leave behind your phone at a secure location :D not seen any spy films?

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Why would any one want a FB crap in their homescreen?
Want to why i Dint buy a HTC salsa? or a cacha? Because it had a freaking FACEBOOK button on it + there was a dedicated screen for facebook in app drawer :facepalm:
No thanks facebook

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
track me

*encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTx3vwPpZOZmXLdlD9H3Qk59d6DZJw5xAOHlrrXV5uUybWZN_YL9w

tech0freak0

tech is in mah bl00d
what hell Mark Zuckerberg will get from knowing location of people??.... send advertisers to meet them?...lol

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
what hell Mark Zuckerberg will get from knowing location of people??.... send advertisers to meet them?...lol

good question. it's much more complicated than just location based ads
*www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
the science of habit formation has become a major field of research in neurology and psychology departments at hundreds of major medical centers and universities, as well as inside extremely well financed corporate labs. “It’s like an arms race to hire statisticians nowadays,” said Andreas Weigend, the former chief scientist at Amazon.com. “Mathematicians are suddenly sexy.” As the ability to analyze data has grown more and more fine-grained, the push to understand how daily habits influence our decisions has become one of the most exciting topics in clinical research, even though most of us are hardly aware those patterns exist. One study from Duke University estimated that habits, rather than conscious decision-making, shape 45 percent of the choices we make every day, and recent discoveries have begun to change everything from the way we think about dieting to how doctors conceive treatments for anxiety, depression and addictions.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan

Location based ads and Better, more precise targeting. They can identify other people you may know even if you don't have any mutual friends on Facebook. They will see that you are in the same location as another person say from 3PM - 6PM on Saturdays and thus be able to guess that you know them.

Flash

Lost in speed
Who knows?
With the front-facing camera, facebook can even spy on our life more than ever. . .

I would've appreciated facebook came up with a phone with their homebrew operating system :lol:
After all, Fb Vs G+ > Android > Google right!!

Top Bottom