Votes: 54 83.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy 3

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aditya11

Journeyman
if you ask me, i'll kick out Samsung, Motorola, SE & even HTC's customization. steals the feel of using an android somewhat. even LG using some sort of customization.

hope it can be removed by rooting else Modded roms are always avl.

You don't need custom ROMs for such basic things. Theme replacers are available aplenty.

yup. those who want 2.2 right out of box, good battery life & the native Android feel.and yes ready sell out 12.5k.

From what I read, the battery life of O1 seems at par with G3. Of course there are also comments about battery life improvement in G3 with latest FroYo firmware update, so need to check that out too.

yup. stock android is better than the customization thrown in by manufacturers. hope Google in future restrict manufacturers from using their own skins & themes.

On which phone have you seen stock Android anyways? and what are the advantages of having it?

noobdroid said:
@adi
Ofcourse I agree that I might have been used to hearing experience of G5 thats why I had some stranger listen to both the phones.

Still, I tend to believe what majority of the people report, than individual experiences. Hope you understand the logic behind that.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
You don't need custom ROMs for such basic things. Theme replacers are available aplenty.

and what about those bundled apps? those can be removed after rooting, right?

From what I read, the battery life of O1 seems at par with G3. Of course there are also comments about battery life improvement in G3 with latest FroYo firmware update, so need to check that out too.

yah. i read about it too. this will put G3 back into the fight with O1 provided G3 continue to be 1k cheaper than O1.

On which phone have you seen stock Android anyways? and what are the advantages of having it?

advantage is nothing. just personal preference & frees memory (read it somewhere). seen the stock android only on Huawei Ideos which is yet to be released. and yes Nexus One.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Aditya11 said:

Do name some of them!!! :)

I hav seen stock android on T Mobile Pulse, galaxy i7500 and optimus gt540.
Advantage - None
Disadvantage - None

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Co
FroYo firmware is available for G3, doesn't matter whether officially or unofficially. People want FroYO mainly for apps2SD, I think, so their purpose is solved. Not even Galaxy S has received FroYo officially, but that doesn't stop owners from trying custom FroYO ROMs. But I can understand if that doesn't fall under your preference.

Dude, Galaxy S Froyo has already been released. :)
The only reason majority of the users try custom Froyo ROM's(plus some like customising,plus some don't like lots of crap Samsung apps to be present, I guess) is because Samsung sucks at software support, with lots of delay..(that is brand name of Samsung lol ).. :lol:

Anyway, hope G3 gets froyo soon :)

By the way, have you tried Samsung Wave or Galaxy S, how do you feel their audio quality to be? (both loud speaker and headphone vis a vis your phone..
Just curious, I know your answer might be slightly biased, but I am looking for a subjective opinion ) :)

noja

Bang! Bang!
Yes it speaks up good!!

But what about other scores? the memory score,cpu score and total file system. Is higher better or is it other way ?

Check below link. This surely proves the graphics performance for LG optimus one.
YouTube - LG Optimus One - Part3 - Benchmark

They have tested angry birds, racing thunder 2, nfs shift, winds of steel. I must say all of them play very well :-D

from the video it seems like the phone has issues with touch response. See the guy literally pressing the screen to get the job done. That or it was just lag. There is a bit of lag in raging thunder but that is expected

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
from the video it seems like the phone has issues with touch response. See the guy literally pressing the screen to get the job done. That or it was just lag. There is a bit of lag in raging thunder but that is expected

I had also seen HTC legend with LG optimus(not optimus one)..There it returned fps of 21.45 fps fpr Legend and 46.55 fps for optimus....

YouTube - LG Optimus Android 2.1 vs. HTC Legend Android 2.1 (Neocore)

In a comparision between G3(12.53 fps) and G5(45 fps) ....G3 was not able to produce the graphics!!! the cars in racing thunder were white in color without graphics.

YouTube - Review: Samsung Galaxy 3 vs Galaxy 5

See the lag in G3 :-(....Atleast Lg optimus one is better than the ones listed here...and a bit on par with G5 in graphics part..not sure if it has a dedicated GPU as in Lg...I think not!

Aditya11

Journeyman
and what about those bundled apps? those can be removed after rooting, right?

Bundled apps? Yes. But themes can be replaced easily.

Do name some of them!!! :)

Launcher Pro, ADW.Launcher, DxTop. At least these are the popular ones..there are still more. I was using DxTop + Aero theme a while back..very lightweight and pleasing to eyes.

Dude, Galaxy S Froyo has already been released. :)
The only reason majority of the users try custom Froyo ROM's(plus some like customising,plus some don't like lots of crap Samsung apps to be present, I guess) is because Samsung sucks at software support, with lots of delay..(that is brand name of Samsung lol ).. :lol:

When I say 'branding', I generally refer to FEATURES, after-sales SUPPORT and wide COMMUNITY presence for Samsung brand of phones. Availability of Custom ROMS has got nothing to do with 'software support', since Custom ROMS are inherently built for faster speeds, better optimization and no-bar access to the OS. Samsung, HTC, SE..even if they offer FroYo on time, people will still try custom ROMs for aforementioned reasons.

Anyway, hope G3 gets froyo soon :)

We no longer have to wait. Two FroYo firmware versions are already available!

By the way, have you tried Samsung Wave or Galaxy S, how do you feel their audio quality to be? (both loud speaker and headphone vis a vis your phone..

Wave is a fantastic multimedia phone and even Galaxy S offers good audio output. So, Wave > G3 = GS for audio quality. Know also that I am talking specifically about Wave S8500, which is currently out of production. I have no idea about the later (cheap) Wave versions and they are best avoided, IMO. The only reason Samsung Wave was such awesome phone sold only for 17K, was that is was BADA flagship product. No Android was/is a clear killer factor though.

Just curious, I know your answer might be slightly biased, but I am looking for a subjective opinion ) :)

I can be perceived as 'biased' to G3, but nowhere have I spoken untruth. I have objectively discussed the flaws of G3 and defended it on logical points. Same cannot be said for others, however! :)

Hrithan2020

In the zone
When I say 'branding', I generally refer to FEATURES, after-sales SUPPORT and wide COMMUNITY presence for Samsung brand of phones. Availability of Custom ROMS has got nothing to do with 'software support', since Custom ROMS are inherently built for faster speeds, better optimization and no-bar access to the OS. Samsung, HTC, SE..even if they offer FroYo on time, people will still try custom ROMs for aforementioned reasons.

Dude, Samsung (only ahem.. Nokia) is not known for its after-sales support (in fact, it is crap for most sets; one of the major reason why some people refrain from buying Samsung), or wide community presence.

Yeah, but feature-wise, Samsung usually prices its phones lower than competition.(Coincidentally, the same way LG O1 is trying to compete against G3 :D )

Custom ROMs (in terms of the number of people who will try it) have got a lot to do with lack of software support...There would be a select set of guys who would love to customise the phone , try out all ROMs..but I assure you that lots of owners (including me) got fed with waiting for Froyo
(which by the way, was release long way back on HTC Desire and was supposed to be release in September in Galaxy S!! Yeah, that is what Samsung Branding is ;) , and instead had to resort to custom ROMs..

We no longer have to wait. Two FroYo firmware versions are already available!

Yeah, right..Apparently,noone cares about samsung official firmware update to be released.. :D ..(considering that the samsung one would be as buggy /only as stable as these leaked versions ,lol..)

Wave is a fantastic multimedia phone and even Galaxy S offers good audio output. So, Wave > G3 = GS for audio quality. Know also that I am talking specifically about Wave S8500, which is currently out of production. I have no idea about the later (cheap) Wave versions and they are best avoided, IMO. The only reason Samsung Wave was such awesome phone sold only for 17K, was that is was BADA flagship product. No Android was/is a clear killer factor though.

Yeah, I was asking specifically about "THE WAVE"(not Wave 2, or others).
I also found the wave's sound output to be better than Galaxy S's in loudspeaker as well as headphone. (but in the older firmware, which was when I compared them, Galaxy S had an uneven freq response which distorted the sound output in headphone mode, which AFAIK has subsequently been fixed)..

I also found the 5.1 mode, to be just a gimmick on both the phones. (You seem to have liked it ? )

I'd have taken Wave over any sub-15k phone (even considering the extra 2-2.5 K I'd have to spend) though, I was that impressed with it.. :) (Awesome VFM!! Also, has better battery life than GS, most likely due to the smaller screen + no android + v.little apps/situations to have the need to really stress it in daily use)..

I can be perceived as 'biased' to G3, but nowhere have I spoken untruth. I have objectively discussed the flaws of G3 and defended it on logical points. Same cannot be said for others, however! :)

Note that I never accused you of lying; I simply said that you might be biased towards G3.

And also your contention that "lower resolution of the G3 is not an issue" , "Lack of gaming performance should hardly matter", "Froyo is mainly useful for those want apps2sd functionality" etc. (highly disagree with that) are all subjective , if I may remind you that....

And I am fine with that. This is a forum to express your views/opinions..

Peace :)

Last edited:

Aditya11

Journeyman
Dude, Samsung (only ahem.. Nokia) is not known for its after-sales support (in fact, it is crap for most sets; one of the major reason why some people refrain from buying Samsung), or wide community presence.

The after-sales support for Samsung is a mixed bag, I give you that but somehow I still think that its better than LG at least. As for community support, Galaxy 3 finally received its very own sub-forum on XDA-developers, so you are wrong on that front.

Custom ROMs (in terms of the number of people who will try it) have got a lot to do with lack of software support...There would be a select set of guys who would love to customise the phone , try out all ROMs..but I assure you that lots of owners (including me) got fed with waiting for Froyo
(which by the way, was release long way back on HTC Desire and was supposed to be release in September in Galaxy S!! Yeah, that is what Samsung Branding is ;) , and instead had to resort to custom ROMs..

Why are you taking jabs at 'branding' in post after post?! Software support, is a widely used term and also includes the software that comes with the phone and almost all smartphones perform horribly on that front.

As to whether lots of owners like to customize their phones or not, I would like to think that users with above-average smartness do try that..and customization is one the biggest draw of Android, to start with. An average user will not even be that much bothered about OS update, as long as his phone is doing all the things expected with satisfactory performance.

Yeah, right..Apparently,noone cares about samsung official firmware update to be released.. :D ..(considering that the samsung one would be as buggy /only as stable as these leaked versions ,lol..)

Did I say no one cares? I said alternatives are now available, but you are not forced to use them.

I also found the 5.1 mode, to be just a gimmick on both the phones. (You seem to have liked it ? )

No its more than gimmick and I actually liked the effect it gave to some of my fav songs. Of course, YMMV.

I'd have taken Wave over any sub-15k phone (even considering the extra 2-2.5 K I'd have to spend) though, I was that impressed with it.. :) (Awesome VFM!! Also, has better battery life than GS, most likely due to the smaller screen + no android + v.little apps/situations to have the need to really stress it in daily use)..

Yes, Wave is a good multimedia / feature phone, but I don't consider it as a 'smart phone'. You can get amused with songs and videos for only so much time. Apps is what keeps you interested in a phone for a long time, I think.

And also your contention that "lower resolution of the G3 is not an issue" , "Lack of gaming performance should hardly matter", "Froyo is mainly useful for those want apps2sd functionality" etc. (highly disagree with that) are all subjective , if I may remind you that....

I have always said lower resolution is not an issue for those who don't find the text blurry / pixelated and that isn't illogical. Same with gaming performance..take Spica. That phone cant play 3D games..how many people you see bothered by it, considering its other awesome features. And yes, I reiterate that FroYo is awaited MAINLY for apps2SD functionality. I receive so many queries about FroYo on my blog, reasoning how they find the memory of G3 so woefully inadequate. Feel free to debate otherwise.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The after-sales support for Samsung is a mixed bag, I give you that but somehow I still think that its better than LG at least.

i'll say both are same. in after sales service almost all manufacturers sucks big time.

Software support, is a widely used term and also includes the software that comes with the phone and almost all smartphones perform horribly on that front.

are you talking about lack of good preinstalled softwares or the crap useless softwares that manufacturers bundle with their mobiles?

No its more than gimmick and I actually liked the effect it gave to some of my fav songs. Of course, YMMV.

Yes, Wave is a good multimedia / feature phone, but I don't consider it as a 'smart phone'. You can get amused with songs and videos for only so much time. Apps is what keeps you interested in a phone for a long time, I think.

personal preference totally. some peoples just want a smartphone to do twitter & FB. & that they can do multitasking on the go.

I have always said lower resolution is not an issue for those who don't find the text blurry / pixelated and that isn't illogical. Same with gaming performance..take Spica. That phone cant play 3D games..how many people you see bothered by it, considering its other awesome features.

i'll say if someone shifting from Spica to G3, he'll say the resolution isn't good at all. but if for someone, G3 is the first smartphone or his first true smartphone, he'll be happy with the screen as well as its performance.

also i don't think interest in gaming last that long on a portable device, something that isn't a PSP. assassins creed on PC is a totally different experience to that on a mobile (haven't played but from experience & comparison of other games i can say that). also a game will drain battery really fast.

noobdroid

Broken In
Note that I never accused you of lying; I simply said that you might be biased towards G3.

And I am fine with that. This is a forum to express your views/opinions..

Peace :)

i agree with hrithan :p
If all these are left out than you what is the exact purpose you have bought phone for?
I know you will say it is subjective and user prefrence and many other things but what exactly is your preference that makes you think G3 is better?

Like i said it is better in
1] QWVGA
2] Multi-touch
3] 3 mp

and nothing else.

I dont completely agree that only purpose of froyo is to apps2sd. I agree that it is main purpose but other things are also bundeled:

1] Froyo lets you turn your phone into a hotspot—including for your Wi-Fi iPad, if you're so inclined.
2] Froyo is up to 5x faster than Eclair, thanks to a just-in-time compiler. etc..

i'll say if someone shifting from Spica to G3, he'll say the resolution isn't good at all. but if for someone, G3 is the first smartphone or his first true smartphone, he'll be happy with the screen as well as its performance.

Exactly!!!

Last edited:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Sam.Shab said:
i'll say if someone shifting from Spica to G3, he'll say the resolution isn't good at all.

True :)
I have a good experience with phones.
So according to me galaxy 3 screen is pretty much pixalated!!!

Sam.Shab said:
Also i don't think interest in gaming last that long on a portable device, something that isn't a PSP.

But before buying a phone every aspect comes into consideration.

noobdroid said:
2] Froyo is up to 5x faster than Eclair, thanks to a just-in-time compiler etc..

Main attraction of froyo :-D

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
But before buying a phone every aspect comes into consideration.

yah, but after buying the gaming part usually gets ignored. at least i hate gaming on mobile how good the game be.

2] Froyo is up to 5x faster than Eclair, thanks to a just-in-time compiler. etc..

let not be 5X faster but a smooth experience & better multitasking is good enough reason for having Froyo.

noobdroid

Broken In
The reason why I previously compared G3 with G5 is because G5 is very good phone dont know why it is not considered by anyone here.

Three cons in comparison to G3 is:
1] Smaller display
2] WVGA [dont know exactly it never bothered much]
3] 2mp camera.

Nothing else than this, if performance wise is considered G5 beats G3 hands down.I dont know how many of you have got the chance to test both the phones side by side. Gladly I had and it showed me clear results.

Though my beloved G5 has left me to be replaced by Optimus one. Waiting for the phone to be available in my area.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The reason why I previously compared G3 with G5 is because G5 is very good phone dont know why it is not considered by anyone here.

Three cons in comparison to G3 is:
1] Smaller display
2] WVGA [dont know exactly it never bothered much]
3] 2mp camera.

that 2.8" screen is a bit too small.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@noobdroid

This thread is "Galaxy 3 vs Optimus One", so nobody is talking about Galaxy 5.
But none said its a bad phone, its a great phone under 10k budget :-D

noobdroid

Broken In
Totally agreed for 2.8" thats why I thought to go for G3 then after having a brief testing have opted to go for Optimus one

@naino
agreed brother but i compared with a phone which was considered to be a noob in front of G3 and I thought G3 would b tad better than G5 but it wasnt.
Btw did you got the phone? Arggh I went for the purchase I didnt had it availble in my area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom