Renovating my PC soon... making changes if needed...

Aerrow

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

A gaming fanatic here.... first of all, let me say how wondeful a job you all are doing here... was checking out threads and was amazed to see even Veterans giving out detailed and explanatory answers to all the ppl asking for questions.. even new members... the usually B.S that I see everywhere is, "Use the Search".... :-D Kudos to u all..

Back to why I started a new thread... i bought a decent enough PC back in the days and then.. due to many reasons... (getting a ps3 gifted from my cousin being one of them.. :-D ) had to give my PC a rest and was left unused for a long time.. console gaming was my thing for sometime now... gave off my GPU to my lil bro coz my onboard GPU and lappy was good for the things I used to do with my PC...browsing.... hd videos etc...

Now, I am thinking of renovating the whole thing... I am not particularly sure abt all the components but I do have a rough idea.. I will go home and make changes after opening up the cabinet...

The proccy is AMD 9850 Phenom Black Edition
Mobo: M3N-H/HDMI
4 x 2 Zion 1033 Mhz ddr2?? (Not sure if this is what it is... I had two more sticks of 4 Gigs each but gave em off to my lil bro again.. :p)
No GPU... :D (running on internal Geforce 8300)
A 500W PSU (not sure of the company)
normal keyboard and mouse from logitech
ancient set of speakers (from ma rig before this one...)
A Samsung 19 inch monitor (max res. 1280 x 1024)

I have been looking at a lot of configs suggested by you guys and I was wondering whether any of these parts can be reused... I am open to new configs from the scratch as well.. I wud like something which is fast and can give my ps3 a run for the money.. budget wud be around 40k.. may be 50? I would be grateful to someone who can gimme a more budgetised config.. maybe reuse some parts from this bulk... :D (saving up some money for a new car...)

Thanks everyone for reading... will update or edit if someone points out something necessary..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
your motherboard supports AM3 processor. so you can keep motherboard, ram, HDD (if you have it), monitor. rest everything has to be changed. check what PSU you have. if its a desi one then it'll have to be dumped else depending on what GPU you are going for, you may continue to use it. but first check which brand is it from.

Also you can reuse the keyboard mouse & cabinet if its in usable way. so first decide on this. then with 40k, you can go for some really highend setup and still save around 10k.
invest it in a 22" monitor if you find 19" to be a bit too small.

things you will need:
Phenom II 960T
HD7850 (if you upgrade monitor later you'll need this)
Corsair GS600W
Corsair Carbide 500R

rest depends on what you want to reuse or throw away :)

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
I5 2400 , DH67CL , 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD, DVD ROM ,CORSAIR GS 600 , NZXT LEXA S Cabinet, HD RADEON 6950 . This comes to 45K without any Monitor. Thankxxx

Cilus

laborare est orare
Aerrow, your processor and Motherboard is pretty good. Phenom 9850 B.E. does not have the TLB bug all the other Phenom 1 CPU used to have and it performs slightly better than Intel Q6600. Also it is a black edition processor, it can be overclocked very easily. Also from your post I think you have at least 4 GB ram which is pretty good. Better download cpu-z and post a screenshot here.

Here is my suggestion for you:-

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 @ 1.3K
Graphics card: Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 @ 15.6K
Display: BenQ G2220HDL or Dell ST2220M 21.5" 1080P LED Display @ 7.6K
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W 80+ Bronze PSU @ 4.6K

Total 29.1K. 1st check if you can run the games properly or not. If not then only utilize the saved amount to get a Phenom II X4 processor.

With the CPU cooler you can easily overclock your CPU to 2.8 to 3 GHz level and hence brings the performance very close or at the same level of Athlon II X4 processors of current gen.

OP
Aerrow

Aerrow

Journeyman
Aerrow, your processor and Motherboard is pretty good. Phenom 9850 B.E. does not have the TLB bug all the other Phenom I used to have and it performs slightly better than Intel Q6600. Also it is a black edition processor, it can be overclocked very easily. Also from your post I think you have at least 4 GB ram which is pretty good. Better download cpu-z and post a screenshot here.

Here is my suggestion for you:-

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 @ 1.3K
Graphics card: Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 @ 15.6K
Display: BenQ G2220HDL or Dell ST2220M 21.5" 1080P LED Display @ 7.6K
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W 80+ Bronze PSU @ 4.6K

Total 29.1K. 1st check if you can run the games properly or not. If not then only utilize the saved amount to get a Phenom II X4 processor.

With the CPU cooler you can easily overclock your CPU to 2.8 to 3 GHz level and hence brings the performance very close or at the same level of Athlon II X4 processors of current gen.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... especially urs Cilus.. the proccy was a huge hit back when I bought it.. cut me short by the same amount at which an i5 2500k sells at the mo... lol..

I am yet to get home, but I asked my bro about the condition of the PC and was told that the PC undergoes random shutdowns at times.. Upon further probing, I found that the onboard gpu is running at a very high temperature... around 75 degrees off-load... is this the reason for the reboot? I have asked him to connect a PCI-E GPU and check if this solves the issue.. will post how it went.. any other reason for the unexpected shutdown? ( I dunno if it is a shutdown.. the whole thing just goes dead like we pulled off the power cable..) ..

P.S. I have also been told that sometimes switching the RAM sticks to diff slots wud start up the pc back again and sometimes giving it a lil time will... dunno if this helps..

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ When the PC shuts down by itself and doesn't start up, does it give any beep sounds at certain intervals?

By the frequency or nature of beep sound, you can identify whether its a video error , memory error or due to overheat. Just tell us if you hear any beeps.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
do one thing clean the whole setup with
1.with air cans(cost some rupees) or use some soft paintbrush
2.clean the North bridge(this could be tricky) & reapply tim
3.clean the ram slots

for buying new stuff first check the "cilus" way.if not satisfied then only go for new

Last edited:
OP
Aerrow

Aerrow

Journeyman
^^ When the PC shuts down by itself and doesn't start up, does it give any beep sounds at certain intervals?

By the frequency or nature of beep sound, you can identify whether its a video error , memory error or due to overheat. Just tell us if you hear any beeps.

I did a bit research abt this and found out abt the beeps.. I phoned home and asked and there r no particular beep sounds.. the whole thing just goes dead.. no notifications of any kind.. btw.. when u try to start it back on that instant, it doesnt... no POST notification bt the cabinet lights up... nothing on the mobo works...

Also, the temp at ma place is quite above normal.. and really humid... cud something have fried up?

do one thing clean the whole setup with
1.with air cans(cost some rupees) or use some soft paintbrush
2.clean the North bridge(this could be tricky) & reapply tim
3.clean the ram slots

for buying new stuff first check the "cilus" way.if not satisfied then only go for new

I am planning to do this when I get home... where can i buy a servicing kit online? with all necesarry stuff?

Minion

Conversation Architect
Aerrow,

You are facing random shutdown due to overheating buy a branded case with good airflow and lots of fan will solve your issue.
for upgrading go with cilus.

OP
Aerrow

Aerrow

Journeyman
Aerrow,

You are facing random shutdown due to overheating buy a branded case with good airflow and lots of fan will solve your issue.
for upgrading go with cilus.

Is there any way to find which part is overheating? It cud not be the internal GPU as I connected a PCI-E card, still there....:cry:

Xai

Journeyman
There is a software from CPU-ID called HWMonitor. You can check it out, it shows temperatures of various components.

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Top Bottom