• Poll closed .

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
5 Hidden Practical Benefits Behind Common Religious Rituals | Cracked.com
basically
animal sacrifice - selective breeding
not eating cows - long term planning (so people would put them to work to grow grains and get more food, as against just eating them and then dying of starvation)
other points no so relevant, but think that people do these things because they are of some use, not because they are delusional and blindly following some faith

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
5 Hidden Practical Benefits Behind Common Religious Rituals | Cracked.com
basically
animal sacrifice - selective breeding
not eating cows - long term planning (so people would put them to work to grow grains and get more food, as against just eating them and then dying of starvation)
other points no so relevant, but think that people do these things because they are of some use, not because they are delusional and blindly following some faith

Well, that is a scientific significance, but when/how did the religious significance kick in?

Or perhaps someone thought, "Hmm...we cannot stop these guys from just eating cows/pigs, let make it part of the religion so that everyone will follow."

The Bible forbids Christians from consuming pork either (Leviticus Chapter 11). The reason for doing so is stated as "Because they do not have divided hooves and chew the cud", which I think is a kinda lame reason, but hey, who can question the infinite wisdom of God?. But, this is stated in the old testament of the Bible which most Christians believe to be optional to practice. That's why there are many Christians (Goa side especially) who consume pork without much thought (I personally do not like it though).

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
Well, I read on reddit or somewhere that bible forbade wearing mixed cloth so that the local cotton growers had more sales, forbade homosexuality, because that'd reduce the population (no kids).
Seems stupid .... damn selfish reason. This should be tosses out of the window into the trash heap.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, I read on reddit or somewhere that bible forbade wearing mixed cloth so that the local cotton growers had more sales, forbade homosexuality, because that'd reduce the population (no kids).
Seems stupid .... damn selfish reason. This should be tosses out of the window into the trash heap.

I do not recollect reading anything about mixed cloth in the Bible, and I have read it pretty extensively as opposed most Christians. Most of these laws however are in the Old Testament section, which most Christians believe to be optional to follow (this is debatable). Its more like a reminder of the past before Christ. The Old Testament is more similar to what the Jews believe. We Christians believe that Christ redeemed us from the law and thus follow the New Testament.

However, I do not rule out that God does not exist. I do believe that there is no way to argue whether God exists or not because there are too many unknowns and you cannot truly know whether your religion is true or false until you die. So, everyone gambles with their religion, which has a decent probability to be false. If this were true, how pointless violence based on religion is.

I also believe that if God exists, there is no way that mortal man can comprehend the nature of God and thus, all attempts of personifying God is fruitless.

Also, I DO NOT support homosexuality since I believe that such individuals are actually genetic and psychological accidents (but that is another story).

sygeek

Technomancer
Also, I DO NOT support homosexuality since I believe that such individuals are actually genetic and psychological accidents (but that is another story).
Can you elaborate on why you don't support homosexuality? You're sentence leaves off a tone which assumes that it is a choice, which really isn't. Or do you mean god creates homosexuals then hates them (or asks us to)?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am sorry, "support" was not the correct word to use. What I meant was that I do not encourage homosexual activities.

During the embryo stage, a male embryo will secrete testosterone which helps shape its characteristics as a male human being. If it secretes say 4 units, 1 unit will contribute to development of the male sex organs and the rest conditions the brain for masculine characteristics. If the secretion of testosterone falls short, the child is born male but has less than masculine characteristics owing to improper mental conditioning, becoming highly prone to homosexuality or effemination. (Ref : "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps" by Alan and Barbara Pease)

Also, a child under goes a psychological state called Oedipus Complex during the ages 3-6. The improper resolution of said state might also lead to paraphilia such as homosexuality and pedophilia.

Thus, if we do not take God into consideration, homosexuals are accidents ("freaks" could be the proper term) of nature. So, thats exactly what I see in them all.

In the ancient days, note that people did not know that homosexuality was a born condition. Being born a homosexual, you cannot change that, so, being homosexual is not a sin, but undertaking homosexual activities is a sin. The word Sodomy comes from Sodom which was one of the two cities Sodom and Gomorrah which was destroyed by God because the people who lived there practiced homosexual relations (This seems uncannily correct since the ruins of both cities have been found).

Further reading :
The Bible and homosexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*christianity.about.com/od/Bible-Verses/a/Bible-Verses-Homosexuality.htm

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
(This seems uncannily correct since the ruins of both cities have been found).

You do realize that if I am going to write a story then I might be including real people names that were in my life at some point and places I visited or knew.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You do realize that if I am going to write a story then I might be including real people names that were in my life at some point and places I visited or knew.

With reference to one of my previous posts, how can we know? We can only speculate. Only in death we might know the truth.

^How can someone be homosexual without practicing homosexual activities?

Homosexuality is in the mind. You have a choice whether you want to give into it or not.

sygeek

Technomancer
I am sorry, "support" was not the correct word to use. What I meant was that I do not encourage homosexual activities.

During the embryo stage, a male embryo will secrete testosterone which helps shape its characteristics as a male human being. If it secretes say 4 units, 1 unit will contribute to development of the male sex organs and the rest conditions the brain for masculine characteristics. If the secretion of testosterone falls short, the child is born male but has less than masculine characteristics owing to improper mental conditioning, becoming highly prone to homosexuality or effemination. (Ref : "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps" by Alan and Barbara Pease)

Also, a child under goes a psychological state called Oedipus Complex during the ages 3-6. The improper resolution of said state might also lead to paraphilia such as homosexuality and pedophilia.

Thus, if we do not take God into consideration, homosexuals are accidents ("freaks" could be the proper term) of nature. So, thats exactly what I see in them all.

In the ancient days, note that people did not know that homosexuality was a born condition. Being born a homosexual, you cannot change that, so, being homosexual is not a sin, but undertaking homosexual activities is a sin. The word Sodomy comes from Sodom which was one of the two cities Sodom and Gomorrah which was destroyed by God because the people who lived there practiced homosexual relations (This seems uncannily correct since the ruins of both cities have been found).

Further reading :
The Bible and homosexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bible Verses About Homosexuality
Thanks for elaborating. But now, my question changes to, why is practicing homosexual activities wrong? Isn't it unfair that straight people can marry and indulge in such activities but homosexuals can not because god made them so (rhetorical question)? Also, why do you not support it either besides it being a sin?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I never mentioned that God made them like that. If I did believe that God made him like that (and if I had strong faith), I would say that its a test from God or God has a different plan for him which does not involve him. Of course, God gave man free will so man is free to choose what he wants to do. He will be judged for is actions later.

Flash

Lost in speed
Just expressing my view. No offense to Biblical people.

Per them, God made Adam & Eve and our Heterosexuality concept started from there.
Just think of What would've happened when Adam1 and Adam2 together. That's Homosexuality.

Certain religions abstain from Homosexuality, as to them it breaks the code of life.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Just expressing my view. No offense to Biblical people.

Per them, God made Adam & Eve and our Heterosexuality concept started from there.
Just think of What would've happened when Adam1 and Adam2 together. That's Homosexuality.

Certain religions abstain from Homosexuality, as to them it breaks the code of life.

Indeed.

God is a guitarist and a cat lover.

I think I know who you are referring to :p

Top Bottom