Religion, do we really need it ?

Religion, do we really need it ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^those photos are from NASA's own pre-launch blog, where they tested out the rover out in the desert :p

rituals actually lead to altruistic actions, think those people who attend the abhishekas know very well the value of the ghee, milk and water they use

think this rejection of traditions has spawned a selfish and resource hungry culture.
for example, this is how a pujari in a village temple may live - sweep fallen mango leaves every morning, use the leaves as fuel to heat the huge copper stove for bathing water, use the ash of the burnt mango leaves as soap powder to clean vessels, and finally use the water from the washing to water the plants. some of the houses in these "poor" places don't even have dust bins, because there is no waste at all, nothing to throw away.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like rituals are the only way to force people to become altruistic. Never seen people (in general) doing altruistic acts voluntarily (not counting NGOs or such organizations).

Chetan1991

Youngling
Read this:
*developmentalobserver.blog.com/2010/06/09/an-overview-of-constructive-developmental-theory-cdt/

65% of all humans can't think for themselves. They do what others do, they follow what others follow. Top 35% are freethinkers but most of them are slaves to their own opinions, i.e. they are reluctant to audit their self-authored thought and notions. Religion might contain a lot of cr@p but at the core is wisdom that, if followed, ensures well being of society. West (esp. US) has denounced religion and look where they are now as society (read Manosphere blogs such as Chateau Heartiste to understand their plight.)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^ wrong.the percentage is closer to 80 and 20 % respectively.

Even among the 20%, 10% are still idiots. There is this guy I know, who despite being quite intelligent makes statements like "Indian cows are more holier than Jersey cows".

Chetan1991

Youngling
^ wrong.the percentage is closer to 80 and 20 % respectively.

:mrgreen: You still proved my point. I weep for humanity. No, not really.

Even among the 20%, 10% are still idiots. There is this guy I know, who despite being quite intelligent makes statements like "Indian cows are more holier than Jersey cows".

Yup, a lot of the top 20-35% are reluctant to scrutinize their self-authored thoughts. Ego's a b!tch.
It's only the top 1% that can see everything from an unbiased, unemotional 3rd person view.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Just a reminder, we know these things but forget at times

Its from rime of the ancient mariner

He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
This might bake your noodle.... If god actually consumed all the food offered to him, would people still continue with the offerings? :p

sksundram

In the zone
m a hindu by birth...don't like visiting temples though i believe in god...those crowded temples (the few i have visited)...how can someone find peace there (i don't)...people offer money,food,gold and diamonds to god...don't they know helping the poor/needy without any greed is the best offering to the almighty...sai baba used to beg alms and live in a hut...he offered service to mankind irrespective of caste and creed...but now see....his statue sitting on gold...paresh rawal in OMG! explaining how god could have found it stenchy and awful to see a pile of hair cartons was so true and so funny...!!

moniker

Broken In
I'm agnostic. That's the most scientific way of looking at it, IMO. The theists say god exists but don't have proof, the atheists say god doesn't exist but they don't have proof to back that up either. Based on the very limited facts that we have, those are just two theories. I'm open to take either side if more concrete facts emerge.

Chetan1991

Youngling
Here's why religion is necessary:

[YOUTUBE]Dqe_feNbPRY[/YOUTUBE]

Also, read this post:
Roosh V Forum
That is some sc@ry sh!t.

Last edited:

setanjan123

In the zone
I dont believe in God. Atleast not in the Abrahmic all powerful God. The idea of the Abrahmic God seems ridiculous to me(no offence Christians or Muslims). I dont even think a god created this universe. Concluding all the wonderful and mysterious phenomena to be the work of God takes away its charm and mystery for me. But i do believe in the possibility of God as thought of in spirituality. The Paramatma or Supersoul, the ultimate consciousness and source of energy for all conscious beings. All beings are conscious to certain degree including bacteria. Just as we humans percieve 3 spatial and 1 temporal dimension, other more evolved beings may percieve even more. The ultimate consciousness would be able to percieve anything. We humans may one day evolve into one(inspired a bit by the space odyessey series ;-). As far as organised religion goes,it provides people hope in an otherwise hopeless world. As long as it isnt taken too far religion is OK i guess. I personally dont believe in any though

Chetan1991

Youngling
I dont believe in God. Atleast not in the Abrahmic all powerful God. The idea of the Abrahmic God seems ridiculous to me(no offence Christians or Muslims). I dont even think a god created this universe. Concluding all the wonderful and mysterious phenomena to be the work of God takes away its charm and mystery for me. But i do believe in the possibility of God as thought of in spirituality. The Paramatma or Supersoul, the ultimate consciousness and source of energy for all conscious beings. All beings are conscious to certain degree including bacteria. Just as we humans percieve 3 spatial and 1 temporal dimension, other more evolved beings may percieve even more. The ultimate consciousness would be able to percieve anything. We humans may one day evolve into one(inspired a bit by the space odyessey series ;-). As far as organised religion goes,it provides people hope in an otherwise hopeless world. As long as it isnt taken too far religion is OK i guess. I personally dont believe in any though
You want to turn into a giant flying foetus? :mrgreen:

anushka123

Broken In
Basically now a days most of the people believe in god but they want any religion they only want to have a presence of goodness. So, I'll go with god but no religion. If religion comes then everyone should respect all other religion.

Top Bottom