Refusal to pay for apps/software

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
software will be free when it is free to make
Well said!!

MS has a monopoly in OS market, almost 99% of all pc softwares and games are made for it, hence we don't have a choice. I do not pirate apps, I don't have to, there are enough free alternatives to do the job, but what would I do without an OS?

According to Market Share Statistics for Internet Technologies, Windows(all editions) have 80.84% market share. w3counter says this number is 75.59%
There's no Monopoly. Even some newer laptops are shipping with free OS.
As for your claim of windows being the only possible workable OS, let me introduce you to Linux. Try the latest 12.10 release of Ubuntu. You will be amazed how great opensource alternatives are. The open source software market is also thriving. Thing is, there are alternatives. It's up to you to accept them.

Sarath

iDota
[/COLOR]So, you're telling me it's ok for a guy to break into a car showroom and steal the latest BMW's and claim that "one can't expect me to pay 5000000 for a car", "they should be sold for 1000000 or less" "we do not live in a rich country"?? Do you think it's right? If someone is selling a product, you like it and you think it's overpriced, do you steal it?
What merit lies in comparing physical objects to virtual ones?

If you run a department store and have candies that I want. Now I steal them. Imagine that, you do not realise that I stole the candies, because, each time I steal a candy, I only get a copy, the original candy still stays in your shop. So you are not making a loss because of me stealing your candy. You are making a loss, because, I want the candy but I refuse to buy it.

That is the problem with software piracy, people do not know you have to pay for the candy, they simply steal it because it leaves no trace and it is easy since you only notice the theft when you are looking.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
What merit lies in comparing physical objects to virtual ones?
..because there are real people behind it. They spend real time developing it. They have real bills to pay every month.

You might wanna add to the candy shop scenario that the owner is selling only the copies in the store. There's only one original candy somewhere in the locker. The price you are paying is not of the candy itself.. but it's the cost of making that candy taste to good. So, what happens next? all the kids want the free candy. Very soon the owner is out of business and we'll be forced to eat the alternatives.

A digital copy is still a commodity that has real commercial value.
Think of it this way.. If a digital copy has no value, there will be no computers as there will be no money to pay the software engineers. And we'll have a 6th page in the sunday newspaper titled Thinkdigit.

Hrishi

..because there are real people behind it. They spend real time developing it. They have real bills to pay every month.

You might wanna add to the candy shop scenario that the owner is selling only the copies in the store. There's only one original candy somewhere in the locker. The price you are paying is not of the candy itself.. but it's the cost of making that candy taste to good. So, what happens next? all the kids want the free candy. Very soon the owner is out of business and we'll be forced to eat the alternatives.

A digital copy is still a commodity that has real commercial value.
Think of it this way.. If a digital copy has no value, there will be no computers as there will be no money to pay the software engineers. And we'll have a 6th page in the sunday newspaper titled Thinkdigit.

I just want to say it won't hurt you if the beggar steals your Software , since there is no way he can buy it legally.[I mean you are not going to get any profit , so in case even if he steals it , it won't harm you either ].

In your Candy shop scenario , consider a poor kid who can't afford your OverPriced or Expensive Candy. If he steals a copy from you , will it hurt you ?? If yes , then how .[Unless he distributes it to those who were going to buy it.]

However , For people who can afford and easily pay for your software , if they do the piracy it'll definitely hurt. :)

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
interesting point. :)

But, it's not one kid we are talking about here. Consider this.. 42% of ALL candies are stolen. 75% of all kids have stolen at least one candy.
and that has a significant impact.

About the paying capacity, I have seen people installing pirated $0.99 apps on their fully paid unlocked $650 iPhone. :p
EDIT: Source: *portal.bsa.org/globalpiracy2010/downloads/study_pdf/2010_BSA_Piracy_Study-Standard.pdf

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

But, it's not one kid we are talking about here. Consider this.. 42% of ALL candies are stolen. 75% of all kids have stolen at least one candy.

About the paying capacity, I have seen people installing pirated $0.99 apps on their fully paid unlocked $650 iPhone. :p

What makes yoy think people wont pirate a $650 iPhone if they could?
And post relavant source about the candy thing.

Hrishi

Probably the Iphone too is a stolen one. :p
But a major problem with play store , at least here in India is the payment method. [I don't have a CC of my own. That certainly means I can't buy apps from G.P.Store / I have to find alternatives :wink:]

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes, there should be a more accessible way of paying for apps if there is going to be any hope of reducing piracy. Even I could not pay for apps till I got my Credit Card. I buy apps ever since. This is perhaps why the Nexus has not come to India yet, people will buy the phone at its subsidized rate but there will hardly be any revenue from app purchases.

Also, piracy is rampant because of how easy it is to pirate software and media. Anyone with a computer can do this using a minimal set of tools and operating knowledge. Also, a software needs only be cracked once and everyone else can use it at no effort at all. But, sadly, no software can be made to be uncrackable, it can be made harder at most which is still just a minor inconvenience to crackers. If copy protection were more robust (not DRM-ized) people would learn to suck it up and buy apps.

tkin

Back to school!!
Well said!!

According to Market Share Statistics for Internet Technologies, Windows(all editions) have 80.84% market share. w3counter says this number is 75.59%
There's no Monopoly. Even some newer laptops are shipping with free OS.
As for your claim of windows being the only possible workable OS, let me introduce you to Linux. Try the latest 12.10 release of Ubuntu. You will be amazed how great opensource alternatives are. The open source software market is also thriving. Thing is, there are alternatives. It's up to you to accept them.
Linux is great, also taking in the fact, I can't do a thing with that, can't play games, most easy to use video converters do not work, can't get half the drivers I need(for starters, the Ubuntu that came pre installed in my dell 15R, the card reader, nor the bluetooth worked, also no power management, both the 7670m and HD4000 ran at the same time, result? 2hrs or less battery life doing nothing), it is a monopoly.

EDIT: Source: *portal.bsa.org/globalpiracy2010/downloads/study_pdf/2010_BSA_Piracy_Study-Standard.pdf
Just pathetic, I'd bought over 20 android apps in one go and never pirated a single one on my L9, I can pay for that, just like how I bought 4 copies of win 8, 2 for my family, 2 for my cousins, now that they will be priced at 10000/- again, I won't buy a single copy, same with games, I bought GTA IV, LC, HAWX 1 and HAWX 2, MP3, Crysis 1 and Crysis 2, gonna buy BF3 soon, price it lower, I'll buy, all of them price it like that, not a single unit.

PS: I have a genuine copy of HDTune pro, I use it regularly, a offer was going on, I snagged it for $5, as I said, I buy stuff.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Added

Wow, this place is indeed a fight club :p
I feel like a lone warrior :-D

Well I haven‘t pirated much. All my apps on iPod and my Android phone are genuine or get em when they were free for limited time.
Most Indians have CC problem. But still I dont think so many choclates are stolen.
[BRAG]
Anyways have a look at my Steam profile *steamcommunity.com/id/wuodland

[/BRAG]
Linux is great, also taking in the fact, I can't do a thing with that, can't play games, most easy to use video converters do not work, can't get half the drivers I need(for starters, the Ubuntu that came pre installed in my dell 15R, the card reader, nor the bluetooth worked, also no power management, both the 7670m and HD4000 ran at the same time, result? 2hrs or less battery life doing nothing), it is a monopoly.

Haven‘t heard of Steam for Ubuntu? Although AAA titles are missing but it has MANY great Indie titles and then also TF2!

tkin

Back to school!!
Well I haven‘t pirated much. All my apps on iPod and my Android phone are genuine or get em when they were free for limited time.
Most Indians have CC problem. But still I dont think so many choclates are stolen.
[BRAG]
Anyways have a look at my Steam profile Steam Community :: ID :: wuodland

[/BRAG]

Haven‘t heard of Steam for Ubuntu? Although AAA titles are missing but it has MANY great Indie titles and then also TF2!
Steam for ubuntu? Yeah I heard it, show me the games first.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
I think it's a multi level problem. Lack of regard of Intellectual Property in the end user's mind being the most unfortunate one.

Unofficial PC owners: Obviously a major part of the problem. These machines have no warranty, no stability and no legit software. Their target: non tech savvy people they can easily bluff.

The End Users: "you paid $$$$ for that windows? I paid just Rs100 LoL " is a common remark. All they want is all the latest new movies, songs and software without paying anything.

Law Enforcement: I dont think indian law enforcement are doing enough to tackle piracy. It is done so openly that it is scary. raiding a few shacks in Nehru Place is NOT enough. The laid back lazy and slacking attitude of the law enforcement is not helping at all.
(*news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57499519-38/court-affirms-$675000-penalty-in-music-downloading-case/)
One of my friend downloaded MW4 through torrent. a week later, he got a letter from ISP warning him the consequences of Online piracy. Along with the letter from software alliance who busted the illegal download. They had the WAN IP, local IP, Computer name, MAC, exact name of the torrent file, file size and duration of download. They told him to stop the activities immediately. If not, they will cancel his internet connection and prohibit him from getting a new connection for 6 months(here you need SSN to get internet connection) AND also initiate a lawsuit against him.
Now he is totally piracy free and feels good about it.

Woah! Imagine that happens here 95% of the internet users will be sued..

Last edited:
Top Bottom